Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Willow Hotel - 120 West 57th Street - by Roman & Williams

I don't know that they'd be allowed to, but this building cries out for a really nice old-timey hat or fur coat ad to be painted on the now exposed wall to the west.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    I don't know that they'd be allowed to, but this building cries out for a really nice old-timey hat or fur coat ad to be painted on the now exposed wall to the west.
    I could definitely see an old-timey ad for some trendy coffee company on that wall.

I like how this is coming out...

That is surprisingly nice...

I agree. It was a shame to lose the old tower that was here, but this is nice. This type of window should be used on every white brick building in the city. It would DRAMATICALLY transform them.

Yes, this is architecture that 'everyone' can love: modernists, romanticists, classicists, ect. Architectural excellence like this is good to see; the irony is that these designers are not 'Architects' , they are furniture or product/industrial designers- whatever the building 'looks great'. HeeHee

Vertical elements being put on. The whole facade is up, but the blank walls haven't been painted yet. I almost hope they go black on them.

While I loved the old building, this is quite nice. If every white brick building replaced their windows with ones like these, they'd look much nicer.

Those mullions are such a nice touch.

The black brick is also quite nice. Also, the use of dark grout covers up the initial seepage that we see on so many other new brick buildings that mars their appearance (and is oddly not cleaned up so much).

This turned out to be terrific looking: despite the fact an 'architect' did not design the building. IMHO, the aesthetic appearance of buildings' , in general , would be much improved if it weren't for the obstacle of architectural liscensure. Grapic designers, sculptors, industrial designers, painters and so on should be permitted to do 'architecture' also: they could then have a structural engineer 'sign off' on the design for filing the building permits.

My apologies to any AIA members who may take umbrage; but it is all too obvious that a change in the 'status quo' is very much needed.
    Last edited by infoshare; December 10th, 2012 at 03:52 PM.

Blending in. Verticals are all in on the lower level. Working on the top.

Default 2 June 2013

portholes on east facade

Beautiful. I hope that a developer acquires the LeMeriden and Director's Guild sites and builds a mega-tower.

It would be nice if the Hilton timeshare and the white brick PoS on the corner were redeveloped too.

I'd like it a lot more if the base section more closely matched the height of the building to the west.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast