Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LES Pathmark may get new condo tower

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Thumbs up LES Pathmark may get new condo tower

According to racked.com, there is a substantial rumour that the Pathmark supermarket at 227 Cherry St. near the foot of the Manhattan Bridge may get redeveloped.

Downtown Express (see next post) then further investigated the story today and of course, all that attention wouldn't escape curbed.com:

LES Pathmark Site: $250 Million, 50+ Stories of Fun

Thursday, November 1, 2007, by Joey

The rumor, it appears, is at least somewhat true. Racked ran a tip from someone who claimed the Pathmark on Cherry Street, near the East River in the Lower East Side/Two Bridges realm, is for sale, and the land had already been snatched up by Donald Trump. Then this Downtown Express story turned up that contained whispers of a new skyscraper going up in the Pathmark's place. Well, good things come to those who Google, because a tipster found a Developer Resource Group PDF sales brochure for the Pathmark site just by searching for the address. No Trump connection to speak of—yet—but holy shit. Prepare to be absolutely amazed.

The site is for sale for $250 million. Amazingly, not only will the Pathmark store stay in its place (perhaps following a temporary closure during construction?), but any developer who buys the land must build a 7,000-square-foot extention to the Pathmark for a new pharmacy. Excluding the one-story Pathmark building, there's about 924,000 square feet of buildable area remaining. With inclusionary housing bonuses, the total grows to 1.1 million square feet.
    That's a crapload of space, so the seller has prepared two proposals for prospective buyers to show off what can be done. The first is twin 50+ story towers on top of the current Pathmark parking lot with a private entrance at Cherry and Pike Slip (pictured at top). The second is a 55+ story tower, also on the parking lot with an entrance at Cherry and Pike (above). We're getting a little dizzy just thinking about all this, so here's some more graphics from the brochure, and after that, well just let you download the damn thing yourself!

Shoppers hungry for info as Pathmark signals it may close

Pathmark shoppers

By Julie Shapiro
    Nov. 1, 2007

It looks like the Cherry St. Pathmark will soon be closing, and from the aisles to the parking lot, that’s all shoppers are talking about.

“I heard from people who work there,” said Renee Silverberg, who was pushing a cart of groceries out of the store Monday morning.

John Quinn, a Southbridge Towers resident, said two Pathmark workers told him that they’d been given 90 days notice. Store employees have told other locals, including residents of Knickerbocker Village, that the store will close either in late December or early January.

For the moment, Pathmark management is keeping quiet.

“Don’t know, haven’t been told, haven’t seen it in print,” said a manager who declined to give his name. “I’ve heard a thousand rumors but none coming from above me…. There’s nothing for now but pure speculation.”

Meanwhile, in Pathmark’s parking lot, workers drilled through the pavement into the ground.

Sandy Sze, a staff engineer for Langan Engineering & Environmental Services, said in general, engineers use soil samples to make sure the ground is stable enough to support the weight of a structure.

“I believe they’re preparing for a building of some sort” on the Pathmark site, she said. “But I don’t know what it is.”

Paul Mullins, one of Craig Test Boring’s drillers, agreed that engineers typically want the soil samples to design buildings.

“They tell us ‘drill here,’ and that’s what we do,” Mullins said.

Richard Savner, Pathmark’s spokesperson, denied that Pathmark employees had been given notice, but he did not dispute that the store’s contractors were making preperations for a new building at 227 Cherry St.

No matter what a new building would be — rumors focus on a residential development — Pathmark’s customers will not be pleased.

The store stands in the shadow of the Manhattan Bridge, a dense residential neighborhood dotted with corner groceries. But if Pathmark closes, residents say there is no local alternative that has the same variety of fresh food.

In other Downtown neighborhoods further away, such as Battery Park City and Tribeca, there have been many complaints about shopping choices and in the past, groups like the Battery Park City Neighbors Association and the Downtown Alliance have organized weekly shuttle vans, bringing senior citizens and others to the store.

Silverberg shops exclusively at Pathmark because they sell kosher meat and fresh fish. Her friends from the Upper East Side also come to the store, drawn to its big parking lot, reasonable prices and the quality of the food, Silverberg said.

”I don’t know of any other place that has what they have,” she said.

Elizabeth Santana lives in a co-op at Cherry & Montgomery Sts. and walks to the Pathmark at least twice a week.

If the Pathmark closes, Santana will shop at “some other local supermarket,” she said. “But I won’t get the same [quality] produce or meats.”

Lydia Perednia, who lives at First Ave. and E. Fourth St., said her husband loves to shop at Pathmark even though there are stores in the East Village.

“It’s a shame because it’s a beautiful store and it’s a convenience for people in the neighborhood,” Perednia said. “There are senior citizens down there that don’t even have places to shop except for Pathmark…. Where are these people going to shop?”

As word of Pathmark’s closure spread, Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver issued a statement.

“I urge Pathmark to quash these rumors of its impending closure and to remain anintegral part of our neighborhood,” Silver said.

Pathmark employees were unsettled and short on information Monday.

“I want to know [officially] because I’d have to leave,” a deli worker said.

Another employee, who was stocking shelves, was surprised at the suggestion that Pathmark might close.

“They didn’t tell us about that,” she said, raising her eyebrows. “I hope not.”

But not everyone is unhappy about Pathmark closing.

Mohamad Atah, owner of H & M Madison Express Inc., a corner grocery at Madison & Rutgers Sts., smiled at the thought.

“For the community, it’s bad,” he said. “But maybe my store will make a little more money.”

Atah predicted that he would sell a few extra groceries, but said that he doesn’t have enough room to stock additional items.

Even if the closure brings in some new customers, Atah said, “It will hurt the people who live here.”

Damn. $250 million for a parking lot in the hood....Can they get it?

Lord, I so hope this happens and that we get the elliptical design.

That whole supermarket and lot is such an eyesore plus they can always get another grocery store at the base of the new tower.

None of those design will be built, but if the eliptical tower was built it would look horrible, it would fit right in with the housing projects though.

^ It doesn't have to look housing project-like, if done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    Damn. $250 million for a parking lot in the hood....Can they get it?
    Well, you've got to realize that includes nearly one million buildable sf. I haven't done the math but I'm sure it is probably what the market is right now.

I'm more worried about the potential of this getting NIMBY-fied into another squat, Avalon Chrystie hulk instead.

Default they can't if its as of right

This sounds like an as of right sale to me.

If the Pathmark, or another low cost supermarket, doesn't go in the base of a new tower, I say keep the site as is.

Default dumb reason, but they're keeping pathmark

curbed seems to sugget the buyer would be required to actually expand pathmark. I assume it will close during the building's construction though.

I have to say that seems like a really silly reason not to build this - worrying about keeping a pathmark. It's called supply and demand - if there is demand for a supermarket (which there would be if this closes) another one will sprout up, either in the base of this tower or is some underutilized space around there. Meanwhile, the area will get new residents whose buying power will help attract additional retail and help the neighborhood grow, so that it isn't a place where the loss of 1 supermarket has a major impact on people's lives.

Default err, changed again

I wonder if this is just speculation about something not really happening.

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_233/undercover.html

there will be no more brand name super markets in manhattan anymore ... how sad!

other then Food Emporium, Traitor Joes, and your local bodega's

Quote Originally Posted by investordude View Post
    I wonder if this is just speculation about something not really happening.
    http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_233/undercover.html
    Something eventually will still happen. There's nearly one million buildable space on that lot. This is still space limited Manhattan. If the price is right, I'm sure it will sell.

As for all the crying about the supermarket, Pathmark is an old-style grocery chain that just doesn't work anymore, in Manhattan. Management knows that and so they're looking to get out.

Economics tells us that eventually somebody will come in to fill its void that better meets the needs of the changing demographics of the city. Whole Foods is an example.

This design for the site was on the Karl Fischer website some time ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	multi-35b[1].jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	5086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pathmark.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	5087  

Looks like they're shoving this new one right up against that homely ~ 15-20 story thing next to the FDR.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast