Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 133 Greenwich St - Downtown Hotel

Forum Veteran

Default 133 Greenwich St - Downtown Hotel

European firm buys downtown site

In another example of international money pouring into Manhattan real estate, a European firm has grabbed a development site within steps of the World Trade Center.

Thames Greenwich LLC recently bought 133-135 Greenwich St. for $24 million.

The deal is scheduled to close in January. The new owners will develop a 30-story luxury condo tower on the site. The seller, YL Real Estate Developers, will retain a small interest in the project.

http://www.crainsny.com/news.cms?id=9410

Forum Veteran

Cool... what's there now?

It's between Cedar and Thames Sts, across from Deutsche Bank. I think the only open retail is O'Hara's restaurant/bar (nice place). Thames St between Greenwich and Church has been under a scaffold since 09/11, and none of the retail has ever reopened after 09/11.

The area is very depressed now, but should improve considerably once Deutsche Bank comes down. I wonder if the developer will wait until demolition is complete.

There's a good looking building (Romanesque Revival I think) across the street undergoing renovation.

In the long run... londonlawyer's Avatar

There was an article about this in the Post a few weeks ago. It's a shame in my opinion because the building on the site is nice. It would have been great if the developers built on a site that contains garbage. For example, I desparately want to see the horrible, run-down structures on the west side of B'Way just north of Liberty Plaza razed. They are such horrible, run-down eyesores. They'll eventually get razed, but sooner rather than later would be nice.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    There was an article about this in the Post a few weeks ago. It's a shame in my opinion because the building on the site is nice. It would have been great if the developers built on a site that contains garbage. For example, I desparately want to see the horrible, run-down structures on the west side of B'Way just north of Liberty Plaza razed. They are such horrible, run-down eyesores. They'll eventually get razed, but sooner rather than later would be nice.
    Agreed on the buildings north of 1 LP. In my opinion, U.S. Steel should have bought up that block instead of demolishing the splendid Singer Tower. A taller building there (obviously a potential building there would not have taken up the whole site) would have been an interesting juxtaposition to the former Twin Towers, and helped to integrate them into the skyline.

Agreed. The demolition of the Singer building is a crime that ranks up there with the savage destruction of Penn Station.

I think that Goldman should have built on the B'Way site in question. It would have been an easier location to get to than BPC, and it would have resulted in the demolition of that "basura" at the site. Eventually, some one will tear those dumpy buildings down, but let's hope that it's sooner rather than ltr.

Can someone post pics of these 'decrepit' buildings?

The thing that's a real shame about them is that they could have been nice if they weren't so neglected. One of the was built in 1865 and based upon photos from the turn of the century, it was quite attractive in its day. Some of the buildings on this site could be restored and incorporated into the facade of something new; that would be ideal.

Are you talking about Broadway or the site at Greenwich?

Funny, I can't picture 133-135 Greenwich, except at street level - although I've gone by there hundreds of times.

I'm talking about the B'Way site; it's a shame that those buildings are so decrepit.

The nice buildings on Greenwich are not being taken for this project. They are on the northern end off Cedar St. O'Hara's and the deli (that coincidentally relocated from 135 Greenwich) will stay.

Now I know why I couldn't picture the building at 133, 135 - there isn't any. It looks like a building was torn down on the past and replaced by crappy one-storey retail.

The lot is quite narrow, no more than 50-60 feet, and runs about half-way to Trinity Pl.

There's a really beautiful building on Greenwich next to this one which is not being razed. The red brick building that is being torn down, however, is a decent building. I would have preferred seeing horrible buildings come down to make way for new development (e.g., the aforementioned wrecks on B'Way or the site on Liberty where the Burger King is).

Are you sure you are not talking about another block?
    133-135 Greenwich are not buildings - they are one storey stores on the NE corner of Greenwich and Thames.

According to The Post, the building that's being razed is 8 or 9 stories. There's a building of that decsription with scaffolding all around it.

By the way, where do you live in BPC? I used to live at 250 S. End.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast