Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 99 Washington - Holiday Inn - Award Winning* Architect Gene Kaufman [the Great]

Default 99 Washington - Holiday Inn - Award Winning* Architect Gene Kaufman [the Great]

Now with but one F and one N. I decided it was time for a separate thread so I don't have to go hunting for the overarching thread for this guy (and so all the photos stay in one place). Anyway, on with the show!

From the master's website:
    This 40-story tower rises from a dense, narrow street to take its place among the tall buildings of Lower Manhattan. The 400 key limited service hotel building includes ground floor retail uses. The eight-story street wall permits larger floor plates and suite configurations.
    Rendering:

And to kick us off, we're back to pile driving this morning:

My bet is 18 months on this one. It's tall enough (certainly for the block/lot size), but hotels don't make money under construction. That's for sure.

*Award here: http://www.aia.org/practicing/groups/kc/AIAS075331

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

*cringe*

Why? 50 West Street Please?

They pulled new permits recently (past 3 4 months), but I walk by 50 West weekly, and there's been no movement over there. Speaking of freezes, 99 Church got rewrapped recently.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    They pulled new permits recently (past 3 4 months), but I walk by 50 West weekly, and there's been no movement over there.
    I thread-my-way through those narrow streets often: some are barely wide enough for a cement mixer. This will be an interesting project to follow because the 'site & staging logistics' will be quite difficult given the limited amount of 'curbsite' space - not to mention the 'tiny' footprint. I am glad you started this thread, regardless of what one thinks of Kaufman's design talents, this will still be a great project to watch.

Thanks for all the great 'site-spotting' Roldan - I am growing a bit weary of the Amanda Knox Thread. )LOL))))))

Cheers

Ch

I've thought about it, and I suspect the sidewalk on the east side of Washington will end up closed like then 123 Washington was built. Everything will be staged with a southward flow to it. This makes it easy for exiting trucks right on to west st then up to the holland tunnel.

This one seems to be the least objectionable of all the pap on his webpage.

Kaufman kills Moran's ...

Moran's Bar Closes After 25 Years Downtown

It's last call for Moran's Bar on Washington Street Friday night.

DNA Info
    July 8, 2011

FINANCIAL DISTRICT — Moran's bar and restaurant will serve its last beer Friday night, ending a 25-year run on Washington Street just two blocks south of the World Trade Center.

Owners Brian and Abby Lydon were forced to close the bar after years of falling revenues, Abby Lydon said.

"It was a difficult choice," Lydon said as she surveyed the mostly empty dining room Thursday afternoon. "We love our customers."

The Irish bar's business never fully rebounded after 9/11, and the 2008 recession made things worse, she said. The final straw was the start of construction on a new high-rise hotel next-door, which inundated the wood-paneled dining room with noise ...

That leaves O'Hara's. A popular pit-stop for the Fargo People. Good place to chat up visitors.

Had many a good time there when I worked at the Exchanges...sad.

I've always walked by the place, and it's always looked very sleepy. I don't buy the noise being the final straw, though, since the construction has been wrapping up by about 6pm every night, and as a bar, I imagine most of their business was much later at night. I suspect it was more a financial decision.

It's always been open in the evening, but the main business is lunch and late afternoon. A place for after work drinks, but I don't think it was ever a nighttime hangout.

Still driving...

Curse that landfill, so damned messy!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast