Thread: Work in Manhattan, want to live in suburbs - which is better, NY, NJ or CT suburbs?

Default Work in Manhattan, want to live in suburbs - which is better, NY, NJ or CT suburbs?

Planning on relocating to NYC area for a job in Manhattan. Don't want to live in the city, would rather commute. Looking for no more than an hour commute via train or subway. With a budget between $1000-$1300 a month for rent on a 1-2 bedroom apartment, what would be some safe, affordable, relatively easy commute areas to target my apartment search? I'm really interested in Connecticut. Or anywhere really - just as long as it's an easy commute via train (park and ride is ideal).

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Which part of Manhattan is your work?

You might have to get a roommate for the prices you're looking for. I do suggest living in Hoboken, NJ if you want to commute. It has a great night life and is not too far from the city. You can also try Jersey City, but it's not the best area.

I second the recommendation on Hoboken. Just be sure you pick a spot w/ a bus stop that can take you to the PATH station, or you'll have a longer walk (or more expensive commute, by cabbing it) than you bargained for.