Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The New York Jets

Forum Veteran

Jets are a defensive team, they're going to rank low in points per game but that's besides the point of how many do they allow per game

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Jets are a defensive team, they're going to rank low in points per game but that's besides the point of how many do they allow per game
    22nd against the pass and 19th in points allowed isn't too hot defensively either.

Smith is set to get 75% of the 1st squad reps in training. The Jets have all but annointed him as the game 1 starter. Barring any extraodinary health legal or non-performance related issue, he would to fail miserably to lose the starting spot. That is not likely to happen.

Given that, the Jets are committed to at least 3 games with him - actually it is probably more - regardless of what kind of start he gets off to.

I too am tired of watching the Pats dominate the division, but I don't think this is the year they take a step back. The Jets would need 12-14 wins to challange or overtake the Pats and I don't see that happenning. 9 to 11 wins and a wildcard is more likely.

They still have holes, most notably a young group of athletic but inexperienced safeties and unproven corners - a key position in Ryan's defense (or in any team's really, but especially Ryan's). I really think failing to make a run at Cromartie (who could have been signed for a year at a bargain price) or Revis (also for a year) was a mistake, but we'll see. Although he had a horrbile year, I admire the way Cro played through a very painful hip injury that impacted his ability to turn and pivot, and effected his performance. I look for him to bounce back this year.

Their stregnths include having one of the deepest and best d-lines in football, and as a result they will be among the league leaders in rushing defence. They drastically upgraded at LB last season, and I expect the improved performance there to carry over as well

On offense, they have a solid o-line, are deep in the backfield, and as a result, are likely to run the ball well. In fact, I think they will be among the league leaders in rushing deploying a backfield by commitee approach with Johnson and Ivory getting the bulk of the carries, and Powell representing a strong third option. And although not flashy, the receving corp is solid and dependable with Decker, Kerley and Nelson. Decker in particular should really help improve their red zone efficency. If Hill and Ford step up, (their two burners) the receving corp can turn out to be formidable. That is a big 'if' however. Further, in addition to his rushing skills, Chris Johnson is an extremely underrated as a receiver. Tight end should be drastically improve as well

Geno is a wild card, but he played well over the last 4 games of last season, and reports out of spring drills and training camp are positive. He has great athleticism, a cannon arm, and his accuracy and decison making improved with each game last season.

Most importantly reports indicate he is much more comfortable with the Jets' scheme and is going thru his progressions more fluidly and intuitively than he did early last season when it seemed he took time to think through every progression and every decision. It is only training camp, I realize that things change once the season starts, but I love his confidence, poise, and atheticism and he seems to be improving on the leadership intangibles.

We'll see, but I am optimistic.
    Last edited by eddhead; July 24th, 2014 at 06:20 PM.

^ All good points and like I said, I would not mind seeing them do well. If nothing else than for the ticket holders' sake. I read an article about how the Jets are essentially bribing/cajoling season ticket holders into attending all the games by offering post season and other benefits in a rewards type system.

Just win some games and toss the card punch idea out the window.

Forum Veteran

Jets should do well this year, they have a good shot at the playoffs. Their success will be inversely proportional to the number of Geno Smith turnovers

I agree GG, the most important factor to the Jet's season is Smith significantly reducing his turn over rate. But they also have do a better job defensing the pass and I see this as a major potential vulnerability. I like thier safeties, but they are young and will make mistakesi n coverage. More importantly theiy are placing a stron bet that Milner will prove out to be a quality shut down corner. Patterson has ball skills but given his history of injuries and coverage lapses you have to think the Jets are vulnerable there. McDougle is an intriguing prospect but reports indicate he is not ready for prime time. Wilson is a suitable nickle back.

It is crucial that the pass rush get better. After getting off to a fast start last year, Wilkerson wore out by season's end. He just played in too many downs. I don't know that we can count on Pace to provide the type of quality rushes he did last year - he is starting to get up there. Although he plays in the middle, the Jets are counting on Richardson to become as much of a force on rushing the passer as he is on stopping the run. They did buttress thier pass rushing personel in the offseason and that hould help but depending on how well they improve here, this remains a potential nvulnerabilty
    Last edited by eddhead; July 25th, 2014 at 01:11 PM.

As I indicated previously, this team has huge problems at corner. It was bad before but now it is abysmal. Antonio Allen is a talented guy but he is not a corner. Not going after a quick fix Revis was a mistake. It would have strengthened the team and weakened the Pats. At least take a shot.

Not going after Cromartie for 1 year at $3-3.5MM was criminal. He was a bargain at that price.

They have a huge hole here and they are well under the cap.

I don't get it.

Mixed bag on the Jets: They did dominate the Raiders to an extent not reflected in the final score. The defense was phenominal, giving up 25 yards rushing, and putting relentless pressure on the QB. And the corners played much better than expected against a less than impressive set of Raider WR's especially Antonio Allen who was a killer in the open field.

On offense, when Geno wasn't giving the ball away, he was sharp and finished with a 96 or so rating., Additionally they ran the ball extremely well, Ivory was punishing on the inside, and Chris Johnson looks as quick as ever.

On the other hand, the competition was clearly suspect; to say the Raiders remain a work in process is generous. And the team was very sloppy committing 15 penalties, two turnovers, and allowing one pick/six opporunity on defense to literally slip through their (Pryor's) hands.

Of course it is early but If they can clean up the mistakes, and play with a bit of poise, they have the potential to be formidable.
    Last edited by eddhead; September 9th, 2014 at 02:36 PM.

I need to see a game two before saying anything. The Raiders are HORRIBLE!

Freaky time out play on game tying TD that was called back.

Apparently Mornhenwig decided to change the play and signaled Ryan to call a time out but Ryan didn't see it. Mornhenwig than changed his mind, but Sheldon Richardson didn't see him call it off, so he ran behind he ref and asked for a time out just as the ball was being snapped. It didn't appear as though players from either side heard the whistle in the loud stadium, Smith throws a beatiful pass into the endzone, Kerley makes an amazing catch between 2 defenders and the play gets called back, because the time out had been called.

Ironically, it is technically an error on the line judge who called the time out as apparenlty per league rules, only the head coach is permitted to call time outs on the sidelines. The official may have been confused Richardson for Ryan; his back was turned to the sideline, and they were all kind of clustered together. The result was a game tying touchdown was called back with about 3:30 left in the game.

Lost in the shuffle, was another turning point play. Early in the 3rd a Rodgers interception deep in Jets territory was called back for too many men on the field. Two Jets were tryng to get off before a quick snap, got all the way to the sideline but it looked like one player didn't get his trailing foot off. That cost them 3 points. Sloppy, or bad timing? Maybe both.

Really though it should never have gotten to that point. The Jets corners - especially Dee Milner were badly exposed in this game. And the Jets ground game was non-existant against a B J Raji-less d-line. The fact they were not able to pound the rock against a very suspect d-line is concerning. Chris Johnson looked very slow hitting the hole. And Geno was ineffective for much of the second half after burning the place up in the first half.

Most important is the potentental loss of Eric Decker who left the game with a hammy.

Bad loss because it could have been a win.

Forum Veteran

The Jets lost because of the interception in the first half, that time out gaffe was not the deciding factor

If you are referring to the Geno Interception, I disagree. The Jets still had the game in hand at that point and had plenty of opportunities to put the Pack away after that play. On the other hand, I feel that the Davis intercpetion that was called back for 12 men on the field, was a bigger play.

As to the time out gaffe not beign a deciding factor - well we really don't know that. The pass would have resulted in a game tying touchdown. From there, anything could have happened.

But in the long run, the timeout call is less concerning to me than the breakdown in the secondary that allowed Greenbay to get back into the game, and the lack of ground game against a Raji-less team I would have thought they could run on. Good teams pounce when they have 21-3 leads. The Jets let the Packers back in by losing the battle upfront on offense, and by losing getting burned by Rodgers and Nelson. Not a good effort by the o-line and the corners.

I am very concerned about this team's cornerback personnel. I have posted this before, but not re-signing Cromartie was a major error in judgement. This team will not go very far this year unless the cornerback situation gets better.
    Last edited by eddhead; September 16th, 2014 at 10:37 AM.

Forum Veteran

I can definitely say the timeout was not the deciding factor because A) the Jets had plenty of other unsuccessful drives they could have scored on and B) if the Jets don't get intercepted at the end of the first 2nd quarter they could have gone into half time leading 28-9 instead of only 21-16. THAT was absolutely the deciding factor IMO

So you can state unequivocally that if the timeout had not been called, and the touchdown pass stood up, tying the game, the Jets would have lost anyway? Because if you cannot, there is no way we can no for sure that the play was not a "deciding factor".

Also, in my mind, it was not the interception that represented the "deciding factor" if anything, it was the ensuing drive which was more of a turning point thatn a decider. After the int, Green Bay was backed up to thier own 3. It was the 97 yard drive that turned the momentum around.

Finally the 3rd qtr interception by Harris that was called back for 12 men, was a potential double whammy because it would have prevented a subsequent go-ahead touchdown, and might have turned the momentum of the game back toward the Jets' side.

Miserable, frustrating game harkening back to the Sanchez error. The Jets moved the ball well between the 20's only to consistently shoot themselves in the foot once they reached the redzone.. They need to focus on expecution and reducing the turnovers - especially the quarterback. The endzone interception intended for Nelson was a bad play by both Smith and Nelson. Smith threw it late over the middle and kind of floated it in there. Nelson did not fight for the ball. He should have came back toward the QB the way Fulton, the defender did. Two huge bad calls potentially impacted the game. The interference call against Walls in the 1s qtr was almost incomprehensible. Walls got flagged for allowing Jeffrey to grab his arm? And I am a bit mystfied by the fast whistle on the Cutler fumble. I thought the refs were trained to NOT blow the whistle under those cirucumstance, let the play continue, and if necessary, let it go to the booth by either a challange, or in the case of a score, through the auto review process. Those two calls may have resulted in a 14 point swing.The Jets front seven continues to dominate, but they continue to be vulnerable a the corner spot. And Bennet killed them in the seam. But that is what happens sometimes in cover 0 schemes which the Jets need to continue to do in order to apply pressure. If the Jets corners could cover somebody, maybe they could afford to be less aggressive with the all out blites.