Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The New York Jets

Forum Veteran

This is where Rex Ryan is NOT going to earn his pay, the correct move is for next game to pull Geno at the first sign of trouble and put in Vick. But he will not do it for whatever reason and repeat all the same mistakes as with Sanchez by calling safe & ineffective plays with Smith

If the Jets don't get to the playoffs this year, Ryan is probably done, so it is in his interests to play for this year and not worry about the future. My gut tells me they will give Geno one more start but may pull him against Detroit if he is ineffective and go with Vick the rest of the way.

Take Decker out of the equation, and offensively this team has the same level of talent at skilled positions as last years - especially with Chris Johnson looking like he has lost a step. None of the other receivers are terribly exciting. The wild card is Jace Amaro. They have got to see what he can do. At least he has play making potential.

It is time to anoint Chris Ivory as the featured back. He runs like a beast.

Forum Veteran

pass rush is also impressive, total 180 for the Jets & Giants from 2 years ago

Geno was by no means good today, but he was not the only one. A poster at the Times sited underperformance by the receivers. I agree. Decker had a chance to make a play on two balls today, the second of which would have set the Jets up for a field goal near the end of the first half. He has to make those plays. Nelson catches a third down pass, has enough turf in front of him to lower his shoulder and make the 1st down. In explicably he cuts to the opposite sideline. I love the way Ivory runs, but he dropped two huge passes: one might have gone the distance, the other was on a key 3rd down with less than 5 minutes left and the Jets down a score. He has to make those catches. In the secondary, Walls and Wilson were abysmal, and Calvin Pryor had a mental breakdown that led to a Detroit touchdown.
    Very sloppy all around.

Forum Veteran

I refer you to post # 331

I don't believe it is quite that simple.

During the game, Moose Johnson said something to the effect that when you play with a young QB, the margin for error is small, and veteren players need to step up and make plays. While I don't normally parrot commentators, in this case he has a point. I watched some of the Packer and 49er highlights yesterday, and saw several receivers make extraodinary plays on balls; reaching over defenders, and behind their bodies. On a key third down in the third period, after the Jets scored and the Lions were buried deep in Jets territory, Golden Tate laid out and made a nice catch on a sideline route, tipping the ball to himself, turning, diving and pulling it in. Jet's receivers don't make plays like that. Decker's two drops were inexcusable - one would have kept a drive alive or led to a long field goal. Those were two very makeable plays. On another play Geno Smith, under intense pressure, pivoted from the far numbers and throws an outlet pass across his body to a wide open Ivory. It was helmet height and he dropped it. That was a potential huge game, maybe 6 points, and would have tied the score. Later on 3rd down with 4 minutes left he drops a 3rd down screen that likely would have led to a drive continuing 1st down. You can't have this - it exceeds their margin of error. Collectively, this team needs to make the plays they are supposed to make. And he coaching too. With 4 minutes left the Jets have to take a shot on 4th down after that drop. Anothe observation - at times it seems like they should play Ivory when the play Johnson, and Johnson when they need Ivory. At this point in his career, Johnson's strengths may be more in the area of pass catching and blocking than rushing. So why is Johnson in the game on rushing downs, and Ivory in the game with 4 minutes left on 3rd down and long, or for that matter on other third down plays? He blew a key block on a blizting LB earlier totally blowing up a thrid down play, and as I mentioned previously, dropped two very catchable passes that may have turned about to be hugely important.

The secondary is in shambles. Allen and Laundry played decently, but Tate schooled Walls, and Pryor was beaten badly on a very simple deep play that went for a touchdown. No double move, no screen. Pryor inexplicably bit on a fantom shorter route - a route no one ran, or decoyed to run.

I have no idea why Antonio Cromartie is not on this team. That one is on Idzick.

Geno was not accurate yesterday, and on a couple of plays seemed on a different page than his receiverors. The interception was deplorable - he still has not learned not to throw late over the middle. It is frustrating. I find him less at fault for the fumble. He was trying to make a play and was blindsided at the last moment. And I think he has lost confidence in his legs. On a first half play, 3rd down, he chose to throw an outlet pass across his body to the oppossite numbers rather than tuck in it and take off. That was a 20 yard plus play. He is a part of the problem, but honestly, if players don't catch passes, no amount of great quarterbacking or whatever it is that Vick would bring to the table, would make a difference.

The only saving grace here is the defensive front 7 which remains rock solid. The rest of this team, including the coaches, needs to take a hard look at itself.
    Last edited by eddhead; September 29th, 2014 at 09:59 AM.

Forum Veteran

J...
    E....
    T......
    S........

suck!
    suck!
    suck!

That was awful even by Jets standards.

Maybe they should think about spending some of that $20MM they are banking on a couple of football players.

Forum Veteran

The only good thing you can say about the Jets is at least they're not the Jaguars. I think they may even be worse than the Raiders

• Idzik was grossly incompetent in sitting on 20M in cap space with no corners and in a deep receiver draft came empty
    • Rex Ryan doesn't know how to manage in-game and is afraid to pull the QB when he should
    • Geno Smith is choking and making piss poor decisions exactly as Sanchez did, I have to put at least half the blame on the coaching for this
    • The corners (wait, the Jets have corners??) suck
    • Team is apparently revolting at Geno for missing a team meeting and especially for sucking

I agree with everything except:
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Rex Ryan doesn't know how to manage in-game and is afraid to pull the QB when he should.
    No way of knowing if Ryan's hands are tied. It's a good assumption that he knows at least as much about football as the rest of us.

The problems, like I said when they hired the GM, are organizational. They are set up to fail.

I can't think of one head coach that would have started a sophomore QB after missing the pregame team meeting, especially after the previous game.

The Jets are in denial that they are in a rebuilding mode.

The Jets problems are largely organizational and eminate from the top. Unlike some old school NFL 'sporty' owners (Mara's, Rooney's etc..) Johnson is a corporate type oriented more toward maximizing the bottom line than producing a winner. The Jets are an extremely profitable franchise and have experienced signficant valuation growth over the 14 or so years he has owned the team. To illustrate, Woody purchased the team fo $635MM in 2000. Forbes currently estimates the value of this franchise at $1.8BN

http://www.forbes.com/teams/new-york-jets/

To the fans, this is a failed franchise. To the owner it is a cash cow and a financial boon.

I have posted this before but it is worth repeating - especially relating to the corner back situation.. The Jets went into the off-season needing to upgrade at corner's, WR's, and LG, that order. They did little to address those needs in the draft despite the fact that the draft was considered very deep in corner and WR. Instead they drafted a safety, and a tight end. Bad enough. While they did pick up the best avaiable wide out in free agency, Decker is at best a 1a or 2 quality reviever. I don't blame them for not pursing Revis at $10 or so MM, but decisons to pass on Cromartie, and to fail to aggressively pursue Rodgers-Cromartie while sitting on $24MM in cap space are confounding, and call into question this teams committment to win this season.

Zip is correct, this season is a wash - they are rebuilding and hopefully, preparing for next year. The positive is the Jets will have the opportunity to roll the $24MM cap excess into next year - meaning they will be able to exceed next year's $140MM cap by $24MM and bring their payroll to $164MM should they choose to do so. If not, we will have learned even more about owneship's committment to field a championship caliber team. Bot for Ryan this is bad news, for while Idzick can afford to take a longer term view of the team, Ryan needs to win, or at least be competitive now to keep his job.

I am a Ryan fan and disagree about him not being a good in-game coach. And I hold Idzick more responsible for the current QB mess than Ryan - afterall he drafted Geno and virtually tied his hands. But I do hold Ryan responsible for botching the Sanchez selction. They drafted him 5th overall - a highly questionable selection that Ryan endorsed, and failed to focus on his development - changing offensive coordinators, QB coaches and schemes several times. They have throughly botched the most important positon on the field, and to the extent that failing to develop Sanchez contributes to their current situation, he is accountable.
    Last edited by eddhead; October 8th, 2014 at 12:40 PM.

Forum Veteran

I'm a Rex Ryan fan too but he doesn't know when to call timeouts, when to go for it on 4th down, when to challenge plays, etc... His main failing is he has no idea on offense

Obviously a rebuilding year, thanks for the PSL payments suckers

And Peyton and the gang coming into town this Sunday. Ouch.

Not for anything, and I am not saying it decided the game, but how in the world does the ref call that Decker catch toward the end of the half incomplete. I mean, I can see him calling it incomplete in real time, but on the replay?

And Smith clearly should have been called for a safety as the clock was winding down.

For the most part, the Jets played hard today and hung in there. The pick six with 20 second gives the impression of a blow out. It was not that.

But while some players played well, this offensive line was horrible. I am not sure how a 3 man rush creates enough pressure on the QB to almost result in a safety. That was terrible.
    Last edited by eddhead; October 12th, 2014 at 04:20 PM.

ouch.

I know Jets fans are crying in their milk about being snake bit, but the reality is they have to perform better in the red zone. And they HAVE to do something with the LG situation.

This was a game they should have had.