Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The New York Jets

Forum Veteran

They don't trust Geno to throw, and then they wonder why he doesn't develop

If you're not going to develop, there's no point in keeping him on the team

The Jets are the Somalia of the NFL

Good points.

Early in the season Geno seemed to convey a sense of confidence that is missing now. He wasn't afraid to throw the ball down field, and wasn't afraid to tuck the ball in and take off. Recent events beginning with agoal line fumble seemed to have shaken his confidence, and the Jets are not helping.

I would imagine the only reason Rex isn't fired this morning is the lack of decent, available coaching options. Do they let the train wreck continue and hope a QB option is available in the draft? At the rate they're going Mariota could be on the board.

Top to bottom, there is an awful lot wrong with this team.

They won't fire Rex in mid-season, its disruptive, but chances are he will be gone when the season ends unless they drastically turn it around. I continue to maintain much of this is on Idzick and Johnson as it is on Rex. Idzick drafted Geno than tied Rex's hands. He left the team without viable corners and really thin at receiving. Chris Johnson has been a disappointment, and his 2014 drafts have been sub-par at best, and in some cases disasterous. And his refused to spend to the cap level on a team with this many personnel problems is a borderline sign of incompetency and a signal he is undermining his coach.

It is noteworthy that Idzick's background is not in personnel, it is in cap management and it shows in his free agency signings and draft selections, although to be fair, Pryor is playing out of position, and for some inexplicable reason, Amaro is getting very limited opportunites. I also can't understand why Ivory isn't getting 20 or more touches a game. But the Dimitri Patterson, Jacoby Ford singings were abject failures as was the Jalan draft selection.

The Jets have been planning for 2015 and beyond since the season. It appears that their plan is to roll the excess cap money into 2015 - or I hope it is. Meanwhile fans will just have to suffer through another train wreck.

Look for Geno to start AGAIN next week. Yes, I said it. The season is lost, so there is no reason not to make sure Geno does not have the potentail to grow into the job in 2015. Rex cannot afford to wait until next year - afterall he can't fire the GM, but Idzick will get a minimum of 2 more years to rebuild the team. he can afford to be patient.
    Last edited by eddhead; October 27th, 2014 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    Look for Geno to start AGAIN next week.
    I doubt it. Maybe there is a chance as it is a road game but come on, the kid looks utterly pitiful.

Well apparently you are correct. Rex has already indicated Vick will start next week.

To be clear, I was not advocating he start, nor suggesting he deserved to, but rather estimating he would based on the status of the Jets season and organizational dynamics. The Jets season is lost. I was guessing they would play this one out with Smith before closing the book on the Geno era - just to make sure. But it looks like unless the Geno experiment is over. And unless the Jets go in the neighborhood of 6-2 or so, which is highly unlikely, the Ryan era will end with the season.

Forum Veteran

I'd like to see Simms start a game. The rest of the season is effectively garbage time, why not go prospecting for Tom Bradys

Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    And unless the Jets go in the neighborhood of 6-2 or so, which is highly unlikely, the Ryan era will end with the season.
    If they went 8-0 would you want him to stay?

Forum Veteran

I'd like him to stay regardless of the outcome. He's the only interesting part of the team

Quote Originally Posted by IrishInNYC View Post
    If they went 8-0 would you want him to stay?
    I would - hard to beleive, but I think he is a good coach although he has clearly made some mistakes.

I go back to some previous posts. I think Ryan has to take much of the responsibility for the QB problem leading up to last year. He campaigned for Sanchez, advocating moving up to the 6 spot - at best a dubious choice, than did little to enable his development, offloading that to Schotty and, of all people Sporano (that was a real head scratcher). Despite that he got the Jets to the finals 2 years in a row.

This current team, much like last years, is plagued with personnel problems, and that is on Idzick. This is just not a very good team. The OL looks suprisingly old. The WR situation is a disaster and the secondary is even worse. These were obvious shortfalls going into last year's off season and inexplicably Idzick did little to correct them. And the QB situation is an abject disaster. Geno is Idzick's guy. He drafted him and pushed him to the starter's role - frankly I don't think Rex ever had a lot of confidence in him but was not empowered to make changes.

This team is an organizational mess. I have commented on this recently so I won't do it again, but I have serious reservatons about management's committment to field a winning team

He may be a good coach but I think the stink of the organization is so deeply embedded in Ryan that he has now become a part of the overall problem. I clicked on this post game press conference thinking it was for this week and for the first minute or so it seems entirely appropriate for the current situation. Then Sanchez stepped up to the podium so it's clearly a couple of years old.

Interesting when Ryan gives his little spiel about how his Dad told him if you stay in the game long enough everything will happen to you again and Ryan notes how he doesn't want to feel this bad again....I think this week must top anything he's felt before.
    Last edited by IrishInNYC; October 29th, 2014 at 02:19 PM.

To be clear, I don't think Ryan has distiguished himself this year. But in all honesty I feel like he has been set up to fail.

The closing Maylock's comments on this vid ("It is a tough dynamic when the GM has drafted one QB who is not playing well, and wants to develop him, and your coach feels like his head is on the line") says it all

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-j...ess-conference

The second vid expains why unlike other teams such as the Bills and the Titans, Rex cannot name Vick as the ongoing starter for the rest of the season - (paraphrasing, "The Jets essentially have two goals going on at the same time .... the short term is to win a game ... Long term goal is to determine if Geno Smith is the long term answer...)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-j...ess-conference
    Last edited by eddhead; October 29th, 2014 at 02:21 PM.

Ryan is now 47-48. First time under .500 since 2009.

Big Ben has 12 TDs in last 2 games. Jets have 12 TDs in last 15 games.

Watching the game last week, especially the first quarter, I couldn't help but wonder if the teams changed jerseys.

Sanchez has looked pretty good in the 1 3/4 games he has played with the Eagles. If he continues to do well, the Jets will look pretty bad for the way they developed him (or failed to) while he was in NY, and for exposing him to injury during last years pre-season than letting him go at the end of the year.

I saw Revis the other day against Luck and simultaneously marveled at his football talent and Woody Johnsons managerial stupidity for not resigning him. Talk about not knowing what you are doing as an owner; meddling to the point that you leave your own team destitute of secondary talent while fortifying a division rival. At least he saved 20 million bucks in salary cap space; I wonder how much more than that he lost due to fan interest -dumbass.

As Evan Roberts on WFAN said: When hiring told the GM that he has to keep the coach and get rid of his best player.... no wonder they ended up with Idzik .

In my estimation Revis is probably the best defensive player of this era.... In a defensive position -cornerback- made more daunting by the QC-friendly epoch we are in; just as good covering as he is tackling -a joy to watch.