Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Thread: The New York Jets

I agree; not only is he the best cover corner in the game, but his tackling skills are vastly umderrated.

People talk about Sherman, but to me there is no comparison. Seattle plays a lot of zone, and Sherman plays almost exclusively on the left side. Revis on the other hand plays man on the offenses best receiver regardless of where he lines up. He is an amazing talent.

The thing about Revis though is he is now perceived to be a hired gun, taking short term contracts with the highest bidder. That hurts is legacy and his chances of being a critical component to a championship team.

$20MM is a lot of cash for a corner. I would much rather have seen the Jets resign Cromartie who is having a great year for $3MM and spend the balance of the cap money on nailing down Wilkerson, going after another top flight WR, and shoring up their O-line particularly at gurard.

Of course they did none of that either. The front office of this team consistently takes its fan base for granted. They horribly mismanage personel.

p effen u.

NY football sucks something shocking at the moment. 5-17 combined. That's just wrong for Metropolis sports.

I am amazed at how many ways this team finds to lose.

I can't see the Titans trying overly hard on Sunday.

Are you sure you would recognize the difference?

From MMQB:

" After Rex Ryan said at the 2011 combine, “I guarantee we’ll win it [the Super Bowl] this year,” he coached the Jets four more seasons. They never made the playoffs, and they never finished above .500 in any of the four seasons. New York’s record in Ryan’s final four years: 26-38.
    "

Ryan is probably this off-season's hottest coaching commodity. If he lands with the Falcons, a team with a real franchise QB and a lackluster defense, he will do very well.

I don't get the Jets fascination with Charlie Casserly who has had at best, mixed success everywhere he has been. Ron Wolf is another matter altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    Ryan is probably this off-season's hottest coaching commodity. If he lands with the Falcons, a team with a real franchise QB and a lackluster defense, he will do very well.

I don't get the Jets fascination with Charlie Casserly who has had at best, mixed success everywhere he has been. Ron Wolf is another matter altogether.
    Interesting for sure. And added pressure. You have a bonafide franchise QB and some of the best receivers in the league. If Ryan couldn't succeed at Atlanta I think it would speak volumes about his head coach ability overall.

Well, it looks like he will end up in Buffalo where he'll play the Jets 2x a year. Double bonus - Mark Sanchez is a free agent and we know how Rex feels about him.

It would be just like the Jets for Buffalo to sign Ryan and Sanchez win the division. This franchise is a laughing stock.

I didn't see this one coming.

Wrong team, though.

Buffalo has an established 4-3 defense, and Ryan is a 3-4 man. Conflict with Schwartz?

Buffalo QB Orton retired. Is EJ Manuel Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith all over again?

Will Terry Pegula get a Woody over Rex? And how long will it last?

I guess Rex got antsy, and didn't want to wait for the better-fit Falcons.

Good money though. And Rex gets to troll half the division.

An excellent move for all football fans and beat reporters.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post

Exactly. Seems like a completely wrong fit in football terms.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    I didn't see this one coming.

Wrong team, though.

Buffalo has an established 4-3 defense, and Ryan is a 3-4 man. Conflict with Schwartz?

Buffalo QB Orton retired. Is EJ Manuel Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith all over again?

Will Terry Pegula get a Woody over Rex? And how long will it last?

I guess Rex got antsy, and didn't want to wait for the better-fit Falcons.

Good money though. And Rex gets to troll half the division.

I agree this is not the best fit for Ryan, although, I would discount the 4-3 vs 3-4 issue. Although technically an OLB, the Jets often lined Coples up at DE, shifting Harrison to tackle and Wilkerson to the strong side DE, especially in passing situations. Ryan tends to focus less on formation and more on inventive secondary schemes, disguising coverages, and inventive blitzes.

But one would think a better fit for Ryan would have been the Falcons who have a true franchise QB, talent at the offensive skilled positions but exhibited a weakness at shutting teams down defensively in the second half of games - something Rex Ryan teams have excelled in doing (until this year anyway).

According to Mehta at the NY Daily News, after indicating he was their leading choice , the Falcons seemed to blink when it came time to bring him back for a second interview. Apparently Dimitioff and Pioli, both former Belichick disciples are intrigued with Josh Daniels who will not be available for an interview until the Pats drop out of the playoffs or if they make it that far, go to the Superbowl bye. I doubt Ryan wanted to wait that long before hooking up with a team.

Also, remember, Ryan was spurned by the Falcons prior to taking the Jets' job in 2008 (after being believing he was a leading candidate than). He may have ambivalent feelings about Blank regardless of the fit.

What are the odds of Cromartie and Revis playing in green, again, next season?

They got the first (better) half of the pair...can they afford to pay the second?