Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The New York Jets

under the curcumstances, I will take it.

I understand that. It was a must-have W.

Default Defending Mark Sanchez’s Performance

OCTOBER 20, 2011, 10:00 AM
    Defending Mark Sanchez’s Performance

By GEORGE BRETHERTON
    3,663 yards, 24 TDs, 13 INTs, 56.1 completion percentage (296 comp., 528 attempts)

Is playing quarterback in the New York market the most difficult job in professional sports? Possibly. For starters, until a quarterback wins a championship, he is never good enough. Any quarterback who has ever played in New York already knows that.

And if a quarterback has won? Criticism is still never more than one bad game away. Just ask Eli Manning, Phil Simms or Joe Namath.

But let’s get back to Sanchez. If someone had told Jets fans at the beginning of this season that he would finish 2011 with the numbers listed above, would they have signed up for it? My guess is yes. Despite the fact that Sanchez absorbed a heavy beating during the first few games — his 14 sacks are tied for the 9th most in the N.F.L. — the mostly impressive numbers listed above represent the pace Sanchez is setting.

Through the Jets’ first six games, Sanchez has already thrown for 1,372 yards, with 9 touchdowns and 5 interceptions.

And don’t forget the 3-3 Jets have already played games at New England, where the Patriots have won 20 consecutive regular-season home games, and at Baltimore, which is 22-5 since John Harbaugh became coach in 2008.

Let’s take a closer look.

Want to talk about Sanchez’s 9 touchdown passes so far? If so, you should know that it ranks tied for eighth in the N.F.L., with Pittsburgh’s Ben Roethlisberger, Philadelphia’s Michael Vick and Tennessee’s Matt Hasselbeck. Eighth out of 32 teams? If you do the math, that ranks in the top quarter of the league.

And want to talk of Sanchez’s 5 interceptions in 198 attempts? According to Pro-Football-Reference.com, Sanchez’s interception percentage of 2.5 ranks 12th in the N.F.L. And of the 12 quarterbacks who have more pass attempts, only four — Detroit’s Matthew Stafford, Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers, Chicago’s Jay Cutler and Cleveland’s Colt McCoy — have thrown fewer than Sanchez’s five interceptions.

In another key statistic, Sanchez is tied for 11th (with Roethlisberger) with 20 completions of 20 or more yards.

Sanchez’s biggest and most notable problems have come early in games. The Jets have not had a first down in the first quarter since their game at Oakland in Week 3, which was also when they scored their last first-quarter touchdown.

That needs to change for the Jets to continue to win games.

But Sanchez’s performance has been better than he is being given credit for.

Are you ready to talk some football? Join the discussion on this and other topics with George Bretherton and Bret Leuthner tonight from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Click here to listen in or call us at (609) 910-0687.

Not a must game, but certainly a very big win for the Jets yesterday and something to build upon. 2nd half was good as it gets for this team. They ran the ball effectively stepped up on D, and Sanchez had a much better garme than the stats would suggest. Buffalo's up next. Should be a good one. Too bad I will miss it (going away for 2 weeks)

Forum Veteran

Kyle Wilson is really starting to earn his keep. Apparently he spent a lot of the offseason bunking and training with Darelle in Arizona, +1 for him. The secondary protection yesterday was exceptional, I think vjax had somehting like 1 catch for 15 yards - totally shut down on revis island. Mark played a good game and was allowed to call some audibles and change up the plays, but they still need to take off the chains and let him throw downfield more. If I see another 5 yard slant call on 3rd & long I'm going to throw my TV out the friggen window

I hear ya on the 3rd down calls... that is shotty for you. Secondary was outstanding yesterday and i agree with you on Wilson who is really starting to show up. But they need to work on the pass rush. Still a really good effort and something to build on.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    I hear ya on the 3rd down calls... that is shotty for you. Secondary was outstanding yesterday and i agree with you on Wilson who is really starting to show up. But they need to work on the pass rush. Still a really good effort and something to build on.
    Maybin has stepped up in that role, but the Jets need another guy in there that can get those sacks

The Jets sucked last night. They were ill-prepared, made mistakes on both sides of the ball, and generally played flat. Not to take anything away from the Pats who really stepped up, but the Jets really disappointed.

And when are they ever going to throw a ball downfield? I mean what is the point of paying Holmes all that money to do nothing but slants?

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    And when are they ever going to throw a ball downfield? I mean what is the point of paying Holmes all that money to do nothing but slants?
    It's ok because Schottenheimer is a genius. It's too advanced for is to understand

Very sloppy game yesterday, but a 'W' nonetheless. Still, they have to play better than this.

Defense stepped up in the second half, although Grossman was horrible. The TD pass to Holmes is something I have been dying to see all year. Take a chance and throw it downfield outside the numbers to your wideouts. Holmes is one of the better deep threats in the league, and we just don't take advantage of him. No wonde the guy has an attitude.

Almost a pefect weekend for the Jets. Their win, combined with lossess to Tennessee, Oakland, and Cinncinnati, resulted in the Jets moving up to the 6th seed (and final playoff spot) in AFC. They now have thier destiny in their own hands.
    If only Chicago could have held out against Denver.... Oh well, we'l take it.

Forum Veteran

Well the Bears got Tebow'd. Doesn't really matter since someone is going to win that division, and the Jets lose the tiebreaker with both the Broncos and Raiders. Raiders can't stop a nosebleed right now, they'll probably finish up 1-2 at best. Broncos face New England this weekend. Jets should be ok going 2-1 but make it 3-0 and they're in for sure. Eagles / Giants / Dolphins coming up, all very winnable (especially now with Moore taking an active role on OC)

Bears didn't get Tebow'd - the Bears got Beared.

It never ceases to amaze me why teams who do such a good job of stopping the Broncos for 3 qtrs using their stock defenses, move into a soft zone in the 4th (including the Jets). Two things Tebow has proved: 1. He can't move his team against NFL defenses playing man and tight zone coverages. 2. He can move the ball against prevent-type defenses. Yet every week these teams fall into the same trap and do the same ridiculous thing in the 4th qtr.,(playing that soft zone) It is maddening to watch.

And Marion Barber imploding before our eyes didn't help.

Forum Veteran

Exactly, the Bears got Tebow'd

Good God. The Jets handled the football like it was infected with bubonic plague yesterday, especially Holmes. And they cannot cover the tight end. Despite it all, their playoff destiny is still in their own hands. But they don't deserve it.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast