Page 33 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2012 Presidential Race

The Snatchel Project

Let’s make a uterus or VJJ for each male rep in congress!

http://www.governmentfreevjj.com/

LOL

This just keeps getting crazier and better by the day ...

will the real mitt romney please stand up...this is brilliant!

Cute!

How long did that take them.... hmmm.....

Default Santorum Suspends Presidential Campaign

Damn.

April 10, 2012, 2:05 pm Santorum Suspends Presidential Campaign

By MICHAEL D. SHEAR and JIM RUTENBERG

//

3:08 p.m. | Updated Rick Santorum suspended his presidential campaign on Tuesday, bowing to the inevitability of Mitt Romney’s nomination and ending his improbable, come-from-behind quest to become the party’s conservative standard-bearer in the fall.

“We made a decision over the weekend, that while this presidential race for us is over, for me, and we will suspend our campaign today, we are not done fighting,” Mr. Santorum said.

Mr. Santorum made the announcement at a stop in his home state of Pennsylvania after a weekend in which he tended to his 3-year-old daughter, Bella, who had been hospitalized with pneumonia.

Mr. Santorum, who was holding back tears, did not exactly specify why he was ending his presidential bid. He referred to his daughter’s illness, but said she was making great progress and was back home after being hospitalized over the weekend.

Mr. Santorum called Mr. Romney earlier in the day to tell him of his plans to suspend his campaign. Mr. Santorum told Mr. Romney that he is committed to defeating President Obama, but that he is not going to endorse immediately, said a source familiar with the call.

Mr. Santorum made no mention of Mr. Romney in a 12-minute speech in which he extolled the people he had met during the campaign and said he was inspired by their stories of struggle and faith.

After spending months accusing Mr. Romney of being a weak challenger for President Obama, Mr. Santorum said only that he would continue to fight to elect a Republican president and to ensure Republican control of Congress.

“This game is a long, long, long way from over,” he said.

Mr. Romney issued a statement moments after Mr. Santorum concluded his remarks.

“Senator Santorum is an able and worthy competitor, and I congratulate him on the campaign he ran,” Mr. Romney said. “He has proven himself to be an important voice in our party and in the nation. We both recognize that what is most important is putting the failures of the last three years behind us and setting America back on the path to prosperity.”

As recently as December, Mr. Santorum was operating a shoestring campaign in Iowa, traveling with just a handful of aides in a pickup truck. But his brand of conservative populism caught fire in Iowa, where he defeated Mr. Romney. And then it caught fire again in several Midwest primaries in which he surprised Mr. Romney.

But ultimately, Mr. Santorum’s campaign struggled under a nearly constant barrage of negative ads paid for by Mr. Romney and the “super PAC” supporting him, Restore Our Future, which has spent millions in an effort to ensure that Mr. Romney captures the nomination in his second attempt.

Mr. Santorum’s withdrawal abruptly upends not only the political calculus for Mr. Romney and his campaign team, but also their financial picture.

Both candidates had faced fund-raising challenges in the coming weeks, with Mr. Santorum limping by on fumes and Mr. Romney rapidly tapping his top contributors for the maximum contribution, challenging him to seek out new sources of cash. Mr. Romney had committed $2.9 million to the Pennsylvania primary, hoping to deliver Mr. Santorum a knockout blow, and Restore Our Future had begun spending there as well.

Mr. Santorum’s withdrawal will allow both Mr. Romney and the super PAC to redirect that money to other states, either to head off any lingering challenge from Newt Gingrich and Representative Ron Paul of Texas, or to begin preparing for what seems to be an increasingly likely general election matchup against Mr. Obama.

A former congressman and senator from Pennsylvania, Mr. Santorum had built a reputation as an unwavering social conservative whose opposition to abortion and same-sex marriage helped catapult him into national office.

Among the people who had been publicly encouraging Mr. Santorum to reconsider a drawn-out challenge to Mr. Romney were some evangelical leaders who had been suspicious of Mr. Romney’s commitment to their most important causes.

Richard Land, the president of the ethics commission at the Southern Baptist Convention, said as much an hour before word of Mr. Santorum’s decision reached the press.

“As his friend, I would say, you know you’ve done an incredible job resurrecting your career. You’ve done better than anybody thought you could,” Mr. Land told reporters and editors of The New York Times.

Mr. Land said that if Mr. Santorum pressed ahead, he would jeopardize that success. And he said that Mr. Santorum had a good future if he acknowledged Mr. Romney’s claim to the nomination this year.

“In eight years, Rick Santorum will be three years younger than Romney is now. He’s only 53 years old,” Mr. Land said. “He’ll be a significant player. I would think he could have a significant role in a Romney administration if he wanted to. Maybe H.H.S. secretary?”

Ralph Reed, a leading social conservative who oversees the Faith and Freedom Coalition, said Mr. Santorum had proved himself as the strongest insurgent conservative candidate since Ronald Reagan in 1976.

“It was an impressive performance and it leaves him with an elevated status and a prominent role as a leader for evangelicals and conservatives,” Mr. Reed said on Tuesday. “No one can know what the future holds, but my guess is we haven’t heard the last from Rick Santorum.”

Mr. Santorum’s candidacy benefited from the comparison to Mr. Romney as the Republican candidates appealed to a conservative segment of the Republican Party during the primary process. Mr. Santorum regularly mocked Mr. Romney as a flip-flopper on social and conservative issues who could not be trusted.
    That helped Mr. Santorum win several Southern primaries in which evangelical voters and Tea Party supporters dominated the primary electorate.

But Mr. Santorum also cast himself as the true economic conservative who understood the needs of the middle class. His campaign attacked Mr. Romney, a multimillionaire, as out of touch with the needs and interests of regular working Americans.

Mr. Santorum’s quick rise in the polls also led to repeated gaffes that knocked him off that economic message and pulled him back into an extended conversation about contraception and other social issues.

Those issues did not play as well in states like Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois, where Mr. Santorum lost to Mr. Romney. Those losses helped create a mounting sense of frustration inside the Republican establishment that Mr. Santorum was waging a quixotic battle against Mr. Romney that would ultimately hurt the party’s chances against Mr. Obama.

Mr. Santorum’s decision will all but clear the way for Mr. Romney to claim the nomination.

Mr. Gingrich recently scaled back his ambitions, acknowledging that it was impossible for him to accumulate enough delegates to win the nomination before the national convention. Mr. Gingrich conceded on Sunday that Mr. Romney would most likely be the nominee, and said his primary goal in continuing to campaign was to influence the party’s platform at the convention.

Mr. Gingrich released a statement praising Mr. Santorum and his campaign, but also stressing his commitment to remaining in the race.
    “I am committed to staying in this race all the way to Tampa so that the conservative movement has a real choice,” the statement read. “I humbly ask Senator Santorum’s supporters to visit Newt.org to review my conservative record and join us as we bring these values to Tampa. We know well that only a conservative can protect life, defend the Constitution, restore jobs and growth and return to a balanced budget.”

Mr. Paul also is continuing to wage his effort to win the Republican nomination and is scheduled to campaign this week.

But Mr. Santorum had been the last remaining candidate with a potential shot at stopping Mr. Romney — and even that opportunity was dwindling fast as Mr. Romney accumulated delegates.

Officials at the Republican National Committee had already begun considering the possibilities for beginning the traditional effort to merge their general election efforts with Mr. Romney’s Boston-based campaign. The decision by Mr. Santorum will make that easier.

It also could clear the way for Mr. Santorum to play a bigger role — and have a potentially bigger voice — in Mr. Romney’s campaign and perhaps in a Romney administration.

Katharine Q. Seelye and Jeff Zeleny contributed reporting.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...pagemode=print

Default Santorum's Greatest Hits (If Only)

Goodbye, Rick Santorum

By ANDREW ROSENTHALGene J. Puskar/Associated PressRick Santorum announces he is suspending his candidacy for the presidency effective today, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, in Gettysburg, Pa.

Rick Santorum never had a chance. The Republican leadership and many Republican primary voters are borderline delusional, but they don’t have a death wish.

That’s not to say I wasn’t glued to the television when Mr. Santorum announced on Tuesday that he was dropping out of the race – or rather “suspending” his campaign, which means he can go on spending his donors’ money. As I watched him wander off into the vast wasteland of presidential also-rans, I asked myself what, exactly, the man formerly best known for comparing gay sex to man-on-dog sex had accomplished.

Mr. Santorum showed that he could appeal to the far right, and the way far right, and the way, way far right, and that he could use that base to make things really hard for Mitt Romney. And he illuminated the dark heart of the G.O.P., the part that thrives on fear and xenophobia and intolerance. Mr. Santorum said on Tuesday that this was “as improbable as any race you’ll ever see for president.” Seems about right to me.

He also proved that he has a remarkable ability to spout absurdities—some of which, arguably, rival the aforementioned man-on-dog comment. So I decided to honor Mr. Santorum with a fond retrospective of his lowest moments.

Throwing up: I’ve got to start with Mr. Santorum saying that John F. Kennedy’s seminal speech on the separation of church and state made him “almost throw up.” Mr. Santorum completely misrepresented Mr. Kennedy’s speech; he claimed that the slain president had opposed talking about religion “in the public square.” What he actually said was that he would not be bossed around by the Pope or the Roman Catholic Church.

Natural instincts: The candidate said women should not serve in combat because men’s “natural instinct” to protect women might prove too distracting.

Trashing higher education: He called President Obama “a snob” for urging students to attend college. Emphasizing higher education, he said on ABC’s This Week, “devalues the tremendous work that people who, frankly, don’t go to college and don’t want to go to college because they have a lot of other talents and skills that, frankly, college — you know, four-year colleges may not be able to assist them.”

Questioning the president’s faith: Mr. Santorum rarely missed an opportunity to play to those who doubt Mr. Obama’s Christian faith. “I believe the president is a Christian,” Mr. Santorum said once on Face the Nation, before adding: “He says he’s a Christian.” In January, at a campaign event in Florida, a woman said: “[The president] is an avowed Muslim and my question is, why isn’t something being done to get him out of our government?” Mr. Santorum was not going to let that pass. He looked the woman in the eye and declared: “Believe me … I’m doing everything I can to get him out of the government.” He later explained that he’s under no obligation to correct supporters.

No right to choose, no matter what: In January, Piers Morgan asked Mr. Santorum what he would do if one of his daughters had been raped, was pregnant and was “begging you to let her have an abortion.” His response: “I would do what every father would do – try to counsel your daughter to do the right thing,” Mr. Santorum said. But he didn’t stop there: “I believe and I think that the right approach is to accept this horribly created, in the sense of rape, but nevertheless, in a very broken way, a gift of human life and accept what God is giving to you.” He said his daughter ought “to make the best out of a bad situation.”

This list is far from comprehensive. Share your favorite Santorum moments in the comments.

Default What Rick Santorum Wrought

April 11, 2012, 10:09 pm What Rick Santorum Wrought

By CHARLES M. BLOWRick Santorum is a party crasher.
    He has helped crash the Republican Party into a wall of public resentment. He suspended his campaign this week, but not before doing incalculable damage to the Republican brand and to the party’s presumptive nominee, Mitt Romney.

For months, Santorum became the favored face of the most conservative faction of the party, the one person who gave them a viable chance at resisting Romney.

Santorum surged by dragging the debate so far to the right he couldn’t see the middle with a telescope. The base dropped all pretense of moderation or even modernity and followed Santorum down a slippery path that led to a political abyss of social regression. The rest of America watched in stunned disbelief and was left to wonder: Was this the rise of some sort of “Judeo-Christian Shariah” movement, as the political comedian Dean Obeidallah pointed out on CNN.com?

David Maxwell/European Pressphoto AgencyRick Santorum on April 3.

Instead of small government and fiscal conservatism, Santorum overwhelmingly promoted — and the public overwhelmingly focused on — his apparent obsession with sex and religion.

He argued that allowing women to use contraception to control when they got pregnant — one of the foremost decisions a woman can make about her body, her health and her and her family’s economic security — was morally wrong.

Santorum opposed abortion even in cases of rape and incest, saying that women should be forced to carry those pregnancies to term and just accept the “horribly created … gift” and “make the best of a bad situation.”

Santorum not only adamantly opposed same-sex marriage, saying that he would support a constitutional amendment banning it, he went so far as to say that gay people who had legally married under the laws of their states would have their marriages rendered “invalid.”

But he didn’t stop there. Santorum expressed other outlandish, head-scratching views on many more issues that seemed to cement his position as a man out of step with a modern America.

He slammed the president’s promotion of self-improvement through higher education as snobbery although he himself has bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees.

He suggested that women might be too emotional to serve on combat missions:
    I do have concerns about women in frontline combat. I think that can be a very compromising situation where — where people naturally may do things that may not be in the interests of the mission because of other types of emotions that are involved.
    And of course he denies climate change, calling climate science “political science,” and remarking: “The dangers of carbon dioxide? Tell that to a plant, how dangerous carbon dioxide is.”

I could go on, but it’s all just too exhausting and depressing.

At the same time, Santorum continuously chipped away at Romney as a dishonest man and a weak conservative, as well as the worst candidate to run against President Obama.

The shift in the debate, which Santorum helped create, and his withering attacks on the front-runner forced Romney to move further right than was politically prudent.

As a result, Romney is now weaker than any post-primary party nominee in recent political history. According to an analysis of CNN polling data stretching back to 1996, complied by Zeke Miller of BuzzFeed, Romney is the only presidential nominee to emerge from the primaries with a net negative favorability rating.

A Washington Post/ABC News poll last week also painted a troublesome portrait for Romney this fall. In a head-to-head matchup, Obama beat Romney by seven points. But some of the trends among specific constituencies were even more troubling. As the Post pointed out:
    If a Romney-Obama matchup were held today, registered voters would divide 51 percent for the president to 44 percent for the former Massachusetts governor. That is similar to the edge Obama held in a Post-ABC poll in February; the two were more evenly matched in March. A wide gender gap underlies the current state of the race. Romney is up eight percentage points among male voters but trails by 19 among women.
    Furthermore, the newspaper noted:
    In addition to his big lead among women — Obama won that demographic by 13 points in 2008 — the president is moving to secure other key elements of his winning coalition. As he did four years ago, he has overwhelming support from African-Americans — 90 percent back his re-election effort — and he has a big lead among those ages 18 to 29.
    Santorum has left a wake of destruction for Romney and the Republicans that many Americans won’t soon forget. As we turn to the general election, if Romney can’t count on electoral excitement, he must hope for electoral amnesia — and he has Santorum to thank for much of that.
    (Exit Santorum, stage far, far right.)

Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    (Exit Santorum, stage far, far right.)

Heavens to Mergatroid!

I am INSULTED I say!

This Snagglepuss was NEVER such a..... Rick. Exit your Own stage right I say!

I miss Snagglepuss. I have a feeling I will miss Santorum too. He was great for the Dem party.

Even better for Late Night TV.

Each of the remaining presidential candidates has the opportunity to step up and lead, like a real President, like a President that the majority of Americans will be excited to support. The one that does will win the White House. Unfortunately, there is a real possibility, if not probability, that neither will, and we will end up voting for the one we dislike least.

I hope that is not what ends up happening, but at the moment, it doesn't look good. But that opportunity is still there, waiting for someone to grab it. The problem is, it takes real leadership, not just being a politician and trying to parrot the political strategy cooked up in back rooms.

I don't think Mr. Romney has any chance whatsover of beating the incumbent. This is McCain, part II. Democrats can rest easy. It's in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I don't think Mr. Romney has any chance whatsover of beating the incumbent. This is McCain, part II. Democrats can rest easy. It's in the bag.
    You might be right, although a lot of people seem to think it is more John Kerry, part 2, except with the parties switched. A rich guy from Massachusetts, running against a president that has some unpopular policies and is therefore vulnerable. Yet this candidate does not have a strong narrative himself, and can be portrayed as out of touch, less likable, and not a good alternative.

Obama's vulnerability is the economy which is projected to take a turn for the worse in the Spring. If that happens, he will be in trouble in the fall.

Where did you get that from?

From what I've heard, nothing much dramatic, but modest growth for the next quarter.

It's true that Obama is running against the economy, and in that regard, I think Romney has the best chance. None of the other primary candidates stood a chance. The problem for Romney is moving back toward the middle; but any of the others would have had to do the same thing from further right.

About 45 EVs in swing-states are going to decide the election, assuming both candidates hold onto their likely win-states. Obama has an edge in three key states, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida,and right now trending upward.

Unemployment is below the national average in swing states, and trending downward.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...a073341D46.DTL