Thread: Moving to Brooklyn

Default Moving to Brooklyn

Hello!

So, my husband and I are moving to Brooklyn at the beginning of 2013 (seems like a lifetime!). I've been contemplating the move since 2006 - but instead joined the military. Now I'm sitting here waiting for my husband to finish his time in the military.

Our budget is quite high but let's be realistic... I don't want to pay 5,000 if I don't have to. I'm thinking 2,000-2,500 is sufficient for a 2 bedroom apartment. One bedroom is fine, but I'd prefer having a 2 bedroom so family members can crash there when the visit. The areas I've been looking at are Prospect Heights, Bay Ridge and Sunset Park. We're going to be attending Brooklyn College full time and my husband is worried about the long commute from those areas. I told him we could both get bycicles and we'd be fine. I've basically been basing the move on what have been labeled as "safe" areas - and coming from a small town with the majority of people being Amish - I'm as naive as they come.

So my questions are: how long would the commute be from each of those areas and is there a better neighborhood to move into that's closer than those?

Quote Originally Posted by sammijean06 View Post
    Hello!

So, my husband and I are moving to Brooklyn at the beginning of 2013 (seems like a lifetime!). I've been contemplating the move since 2006 - but instead joined the military. Now I'm sitting here waiting for my husband to finish his time in the military.

Our budget is quite high but let's be realistic... I don't want to pay 5,000 if I don't have to. I'm thinking 2,000-2,500 is sufficient for a 2 bedroom apartment. One bedroom is fine, but I'd prefer having a 2 bedroom so family members can crash there when the visit. The areas I've been looking at are Prospect Heights, Bay Ridge and Sunset Park. We're going to be attending Brooklyn College full time and my husband is worried about the long commute from those areas. I told him we could both get bycicles and we'd be fine. I've basically been basing the move on what have been labeled as "safe" areas - and coming from a small town with the majority of people being Amish - I'm as naive as they come.

So my questions are: how long would the commute be from each of those areas and is there a better neighborhood to move into that's closer than those?

Nice to hear you've done your research. Although, I would suggest thinking a bit more broader than bicycles. Brooklyn isn't the worst place in the world to own a car

Sunset Park isn't the safest place to be, honestly. The Prospect Park area can be fine depending on which side of the park. If you're on the Park Slope side (rich yuppie white folk) you'll be fine, but I wouldn't want to live on the Crown Heights/Coconut Alley side of the park. Bay Ridge is fine, but the only source of transportation (who knows what'll be like in 2013) at the moment is the R train north of 36th Street (which is in Sunset Park) and a couple of buses that take forever.

Bay Ridge is really the best option of the ones you listed. North of 60th street. Getting to Brooklyn College from pretty much any of those neighborhoods is going to be a pain (I think the Prospect Park area might be the easiest, but again, not the safest depending on which side of the park) - BC is down near the junction, and I think the closest subway is the 2 or the 5. Both of which require you to take an R train from Bay Ridge or Sunset Park to Atlantic Avenue-Pacific Street, and again, you'll be going through some rough neighborhoods. I wouldn't necessarily want to walk around the BC area, and biking isn't a realistic option. You'll definitely need a car, but parking in any of the neighborhoods you'll be looking to move into can be difficult.