Thread: wanting to move near NYC, but don't know where!

Default wanting to move near NYC, but don't know where!

I have been wanting to move somewhere near NYC for a while now, but I am currently in Nursing School in Upstate NY. I don't want to live RIGHT in Manhatten, or even the burroughs, maybe an hour/hour and a half away. The only problem is, my boyfriend wants to have house with a back yard and not any super close neighbors. Is this even possible? I have been searching for towns and am at a dead end! Any tips/suggestions would be great thanks

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Is he wealthy?

Quote Originally Posted by sbabcock93 View Post
    The only problem is, my boyfriend wants to have house with a back yard and not any super close neighbors. Is this even possible?
    Is he a farmer?

Is he Eddie Albert?

Forum Veteran

"not any super close neighbors"

LOL!!! You realize where you're moving to, right?? You can get some good acreage on the North Shore of Long Island if you have a few million to spend

To me, a house with a backyard and "close neighbors" is a row-house. In the burbs, maybe the standard 1/4 acre with a 50 ft front.

You may need to go out to central/eastern suffolk to get a 1/4 acre plot at a reasonable price. Check out Brookhaven township.

Or NJ.

You can easily be within an hour of the city and still have a yard with neighbors that are varying distances away.

Now, the only problem is simple:

You pay more for the more convenient suburbs. You get Montclair, with a direct line to Penn Station (I believe) and you will pay more (and more in taxes) than Ringwood, where you are lucky to find a bus and will probably have to go to Suffern to get a train (express).

The second thing is convenience. YES it is an hour away, but trains run every 30 in rush hour, and sometimes 1:30 after hours. And forget about anything after 12:30.

Third is where you will be working in NYC. West side is easier to get to form NJ (Port Authority and Penn Station), East side, Long Island (Grand Central).

So get a better idea of exactly what you want and what you want to spend. Saying "Yard, close to manhattan, lotsa space" will only work if, as people have said, you got the cash.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

There are actually quite a bit to choose from in the leafy parts of Brooklyn and Queens. Staten Island is pretty much everything you're looking for.

NJ also has plenty of this type of housing setup, too.

You don't have to buy either, you can rent.

Doesn't want to "live in Manhattan, or even the boroughs."

And we don't know what "super close neighbors" means.

Then why even post on Wired NEW YORK?

Because she doesn't have a clue?