Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Destroying Broadway

Default Destroying Broadway

I was just reading ( at CurbedNY) that a number of small buildings and storefronts on Broadway bet 77th and 78th have been demolished to make way for a new highrise--and a CVS drug store. I know New York needs as many mega-pharmacies around that area as it does Starbuck's, so the historic buildings and various businesses were eliminated for a worthwhile reason, I'm sure.

That stretch of B'Way is my defacto neighborhood, a place I came to know well, and I am dismayed to learn that the streetscape has been so violated. Does this mean that Ruby Foo's is gone, or that the little pizza slice joint at 78th is no more? Depending on how much of the street was eliminated, there were --a hardware store, a children's store, a tailor shop, a couple small deli-style takeouts, an ice cream shop, a nut store and a few others I just don't recall right now.
    I've patronized most of those stores.
    This does not involve the Manhattan Diner, I hope and pray.

Help me out, "WiredNY" readers around the UWS. Anybody know which businesses were run out, and can anybody provide photographs??
    Last edited by Hof; September 24th, 2011 at 07:16 PM.

As I live at 84th and Broadway, I suppose I had better take up this mission. I walk by this block all the time and I must say I believe most of these businesses were gone long before any demolition began, and overall the block needed a renovation. I will have more to say after I go check it out.

The Manhattan Diner is gone, as is half of the block.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fimiak View Post
    I must say I believe most of these businesses were gone long before any demolition began, and overall the block needed a renovation.
    Seriously, I think this should be nominated as the dumbest post of the year so far.

I hate what's happening to this city.

Over on Second Avenue in Turtle Bay, a stretch that used to be teeming with interesting small businesses, they just tore down another entire block. Restaurants, bars, shops all gone..including a really nice old corner building with lovely details. Another whole block looks like all the businesses have been vacated as well, getting ready to be torn down too. The pace of the destruction and loss of businesses is alarming.

MTG -- Which blocks on 2nd?

Gaah!!!
    The Manhattan Diner IS GONE!!!

One of the 5 best Manhattan eateries--at least on the list that I have been keeping. First, a couple years ago, The Cosmic Cafe vanished from the Columbus Circle area. Now, THIS!!
    My list grows short.

Learning that the MD is gone gave me the same feeling I'd had when I heard that GM was dropping Pontiac or that Pluto was no longer a Planet-- an empty feeling of the loss of the familiar, and a sad witness to enormous changes that inevitably befall years-long icons. And, there was a grinding recognition that the best cheesecake in New York will no longer be available. There goes the neighborhood.

A few years ago I wrote a passionate tribute to the Manhattan Diner here ( find Q&A NY, "Best Breakfast in Manhattan", post#12). I have frequently stayed at the Hotel Belleclaire, just across Broadway, and I came to really appreciate the MD's food, prices and service, enough so that I wrote a post glowing with admiration. I have been longing for a return visit for a couple years. Alas...

The GOOD news??-- the same people who owned the 77th St location have ANOTHER Manhattan Diner at B'Way and 94th. Maybe they have the cheesecake.
    Last edited by Hof; September 25th, 2011 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Seriously, I think this should be nominated as the dumbest post of the year so far.
    That's awfully rude. And puzzling to me from someone named antinimby. For all we know Manhattan Diner might be coming back to the spot after the new development is up. The image below is from google earth. It's just a pit as of now. None of these other stores are anything exceptional, and as was posted Manhattan Diner exists walking distance north.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	77bway.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	14125

Look at that streetscape. A wonderful variety of some things that are exceptional and some not so exceptional.

It's what makes New York...New York.

Last thing it needs is a "renovation" into another sterile, glass mausoleum that we've seen all too often already.

Also, businesses are usually emptied out before they demo. They certainly didn't empty out for any other reason.

Look at that streetscape. A wonderful variety of some things that are exceptional and some not so exceptional....
    I agree. The Manhattan Diner's building was nothing special, but everything else that was razed was really nice. Oddly, the owner preserved the northern half of the block which has crappier buildings.

It's the same block as that SLCE (or is it Handel? Same shit, different name) tumor. The cancer is spreading.

That still doesn't make your original comment any less rude, IMO.

Look at that streetscape. A wonderful variety of some things that are exceptional and some not so exceptional.

It's what makes New York...New York.

Last thing it needs is a "renovation" into another sterile, glass mausoleum that we've seen all too often already.

Also, businesses are usually emptied out before they demo. They certainly didn't empty out for any other reason.

You are a genius.

The streetscape was charming and interesting. It had variety. Colors! Things sticking out, things going in... awnings, a couple of columns, ornament, a variety of signs (in different languages even ).

and what will go there now? it will be flat, monotonous, charmless...and probably hold a bank. Of course there will be no diner or other homey eatery on the corner. Maybe a pharmacy with plastic wrapped and mummified salad items for 7.99....we all know the drill by now. It's damned depressing. Perhaps scientists will figure out how to add nutrients and palatable texture to paper, and we can all just start eating our ATM receipts.
    Last edited by MidtownGuy; September 26th, 2011 at 01:34 AM.

And BTW, it makes me want to puke every time I hear someone talking about how an interesting block like this needs a makeover...into flat, glass, nothingness.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast