Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is Military Spending Such a Sacred Cow?

I always love it when people site "jobs" as a reason to not cut military spending.
    So instead of spending $500B on schools, infrastructure and other domestic improvements, we pay it to equip and ship 200,000 (or more) of our citizens to the four corners of the world to either sit there and do nothing or get shot at by people who don't like them very much.

The reduction in military spending WILL have an impact on our economy, but you do not use that as the reason for spending money making a (largely) non-productive product.

They could put the soldiers to work building all that wonderful, productive infrastructure . If they did it right, there'd likely still be jobs for the taking to help with the unemployment statistics, too. Slap me, I'm so damned idealistic .

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    ^Just in time for him to be replaced.
    Really? By who?

EDIT: Just read Scumonkey's comment. What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    They could put the soldiers to work building all that wonderful, productive infrastructure . If they did it right, there'd likely still be jobs for the taking to help with the unemployment statistics, too. Slap me, I'm so damned idealistic .
    I know. I always values the ACoE over gun-toters in most situations.

What is the use of sending soldiers to disaster zones? Why do we need so many people standing around NYC with guns? We have the DUMBEST system of utilization and expenditure of resources.

Maybe for the same reason NYPD needs to send 20 guys to stand around on the street where a film crew is shooting. Saw this yesterday on MacDougal Street. Lots of guys doing NOTHING.

Forum Veteran

There are some legitimate needs for a foreign US presence in the world. The oil supply in the Middle East must be protected, the North Koreans must be deterred, and the Chinese must be kept in check. Aside from those, I don't see why the US should have more than maybe 1 strategic base here and there anywhere else. Close the hundreds of bases/camps/air strips in Europe except leave one in Italy & Germany, close half the bases in Kuwait/Japan, and just plain get out of the world's business in general. The taxpayers shouldn't have to waste their resources on all this muscle flexing.

The US spends almost $700B annually on defense, and #2 is China at $115B. The next closest is half that $60B. If we slash everything by half to $350B we will be all right. Nobody is going to invade or be stupid enough to launch ICBMs at us, and the oil supply won't go anywhere. It's called priorities

What about having to hire a cop to direct traffic? I can understand some things, but this is where our OT money gets spent. Send a cop out to sit in his car watching a bunch of guys trim tree branches away from electrical wires.

YAY!

Turns out the mass of NYPD on MacDougal yesterday was there to guard Van Halen ...

Van Halen Rocks Greenwich Village's Cafe Wha?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12