Thread: Getting from New York Penn Station to Grand Central Terminal via subway

Default Getting from New York Penn Station to Grand Central Terminal via subway

Hi --

Planning to come in to NYC via Newark airport, then take the train into NY Penn Station. I want to get over to Grand Central to connect to the Metro North. This will be in the evening, around 7 PM.

What's the best way to get from Penn Station to Grand Central? Both google maps and the Metro web site give subway and bus options, but they are a bit confusing. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

You could walk. Eleven blocks. Or you could take a cab.

Will do one of those if I have to. I figured it will could be cold, with luggage, and I wanted to save the cab fare. If a cab is the best way, I'll do that, but I was just thinking that with two major train hubs they might be connected.

There's a transfer involved. You can take the #1,2 or 3 train to Times Square (or even the A,C or E trains) and transfer either to the #7 or the shuttle train to Grand Central. Or you can take the #20 bus on Eighth Ave to 42nd. St, and transfer there to an eastbound bus to Vanderbilt Ave. http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by dougm View Post
    Hi --

Planning to come in to NYC via Newark airport, then take the train into NY Penn Station. I want to get over to Grand Central to connect to the Metro North. This will be in the evening, around 7 PM.

What's the best way to get from Penn Station to Grand Central? Both google maps and the Metro web site give subway and bus options, but they are a bit confusing. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    Hi Doug, I am sorry I am getting this to you so late, but for your trip back, you might want to consider the airport bus service that runs from Grand Central to Newark Airport as an alternative to leaving out or Penn Station. It is a 15.00 fare and if memory serves, takes about 45 minutes although I would probably allocate an hour. Here is the link

http://coachusa1.reachlocal.net/olym...arkairport.asp

Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    Hi Doug, I am sorry I am getting this to you so late, but for your trip back, you might want to consider the airport bus service that runs from Grand Central to Newark Airport as an alternative to leaving out or Penn Station. It is a 15.00 fare and if memory serves, takes about 45 minutes although I would probably allocate an hour. Here is the link

http://coachusa1.reachlocal.net/olym...arkairport.asp
    Thank you, for this and for the replies so far.

I simplified this to make it easier to read, but this is actually not for me personally, but a family member. The last time he made the trip, we tried the bus you suggested, because they go to Grand Central, but there was tons of traffic at the airport, and the bus took a really long time. That, combined with the plane being delayed two hours, I thought the train would be a better option, since it doesn't get hung up in traffic. Except that ... it doesn't go to Grand Central.

No worries about the response time, the trip is not for another two weeks! Thanks for the replies I have recieved so far, and any other ideas anyone has.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    There's a transfer involved. You can take the #1,2 or 3 train to Times Square (or even the A,C or E trains) and transfer either to the #7 or the shuttle train to Grand Central. Or you can take the #20 bus on Eighth Ave to 42nd. St, and transfer there to an eastbound bus to Vanderbilt Ave. http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf
    I had someone tell me about the Shuttle Train before. Is that just called the "Shuttle Train", or does it have a number or letter? (still learning my subway ins and outs). And do you get it underground at the Times Square station?

Thanks!

It's the 'S' (shuttle) and yes it's at Times Sq.

Quote Originally Posted by dougm View Post
    Thank you, for this and for the replies so far.

I simplified this to make it easier to read, but this is actually not for me personally, but a family member. The last time he made the trip, we tried the bus you suggested, because they go to Grand Central, but there was tons of traffic at the airport, and the bus took a really long time. That, combined with the plane being delayed two hours, I thought the train would be a better option, since it doesn't get hung up in traffic. Except that ... it doesn't go to Grand Central.

No worries about the response time, the trip is not for another two weeks! Thanks for the replies I have recieved so far, and any other ideas anyone has.
    I guess getting thru the lincoln tunnel can be a pain but I have to say I have had pretty good luck with that bus service. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    It's the 'S' (shuttle) and yes it's at Times Sq.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    I guess getting thru the lincoln tunnel can be a pain but I have to say I have had pretty good luck with that bus service. Good luck.
    The last time it was on a Holiday, so the traffic was probably unusually bad. The bus could be a good option. There are also other train options from Penn, but they are not preferable.

Thanks for the help!