Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 325 W 33rd St (Cambria Suites)

Default 325 W 33rd St (Cambria Suites)

Glad Tidings Tabernacle Church was here before

28 Jan 2012 construction:

Thanks for all these updates.
    Quite sad how schlocky and bottom-line everything is. These sites deserve something better.

The recession has sure left its mark on the cityscape. Hopefully all this budget hotel construction will stop when things pick up.

This will actually be a Fairfield Inn, not a Cambria Suites.

source: OTO Development flickr account
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/otodevelopment/6389094051/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6389094051_d4300661b8_o.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	14839

The best it will probably ever look.

What is the rationale that leads all of these crappy budget/Kaufman hotels to break the streetwall?

Does it give them a "plaza bonus" for building?

If so, at what point does the city realize that for all of its concerns about "slivers" and "too-tall" buildings (Nouvel's Torre Verre being the most absurd example) are nowhere near as bad as the terrible set of incentives the plaza bonus creates, and actually do something about it?

My take: The main bonus for most of these sites (which are often double lots measuring ~ 50' x 100') is the ability to move the FAR into one unified mass (fitting within the required sky plane & rear yard areas) and build a 50' x 50' stack of rooms, with ~ 8 rooms per floor. This one seems to be a triple lot width (~ 75' wide) but the reasoning remains the same.

The single setback from the street allows the stack to grow taller, thereby growing the room total. The uniformity of the structure as it rises (rather than a building with a series of gradual setbacks in the classic garment district mode) means that plumbing can all be in a line, with all connections the same on most floors. All this -- with the quirks of the old zoning regs & wedding cake style of building removed -- results in an overall lower construction cost.

That's it exactly. Any space on a floor not devoted to rooms is wasted, and any rooms larger than necessary is wasted. It's the idea of adding floor area to a given floor is only useful if it exceeds the incremental area required for an additional room (similarly, if you moved all of the seats .1 inches closer on an airplane and couldn't get another row of seats in anyway, you wouldn't bother). This then, as lofter says, maximizes the number of floors whereby the number of rooms has already been maximized. when you multiply the max rooms/max floors, you utilize the space to it's maximum zoned potential and that's that. Profit. All of this due to how terrified people were of the Equitable building when it was built with what can only be described as the ultimate street wall. A bonus could just as easily be given for maintaining the streetwall and there would be solid streetwalls. Similarly, bonuses could be given for installing bike infrastructure, and SURPRISE! there would be that too.

The lesson here is that when development is profit oriented, anything that creates additional profit (which can be set based on the size of bonuses) will be used.

Really? Not a single post regarding the demolition of that beautiful old church?

That's a subject too sad to even think about...the only thing sadder is what took it's place.

Quote Originally Posted by LeCom View Post
    Really? Not a single post regarding the demolition of that beautiful old church?
    Of course there are, you should know we like to complain here.

Somewhere buried in this thread.
    http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=16030

Of course, we MUST complain. And I'm not even trying to be funny. If we don't complain, the battle will be held between greedy developers and reactionary nimbies, neither of which really associates with the general mindset at WNY. I like to believe that we provide a moderate point of view in the debate, and for those of you that think that forums don't matter... well, they do. I've fount WNY thread printouts on a few of my co-workers' desks in the past when I was still working at a firm.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I wished we didn't have so many reasons to complain about!

Default 28 July 2012

Sorry my finger got in the way of this photo.

The anuses who run this city should not have permitted the demolition of the church. However, that this POS replaced it is egregious.

Largely invisible from afar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast