Thread: Old Entertainment Newspapers and Brooklyn Fox

Default Old Entertainment Newspapers and Brooklyn Fox

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting on here, so allow me to introduce myself. I'm working on my master of arts in musicology degree and I'm writing my thesis on Dusty Springfield. During the week of Labor Day weekend 1964, she performed alongside Marvin Gaye, Martha and the Vandellas, The Shangri-Las, The Ronettes, The Supremes, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, The Temptations, and several other acts in one of deejay Murray the K's holiday shows at the Brooklyn Fox theater. It was at the same time as The Animals' 10 day run at the Brooklyn Paramount. Because this event was so important to Dusty Springfield's career and to the success of Motown's UK label, I'm looking for every piece of information I can find. I've already looked in the New York Times issues from that week and 6 hours later (haha) I ended up with nothing except really fun clothing store advertisements and the knowledge that televisions from back then have really held their value, thank you Mad Men.

I'm assuming there must have been a review or article printed somewhere, and I have faith that the article is archived. I've looked in the Village Voice and there's nothing. My questions for anyone who is reading:

1. What entertainment/culture magazine would have covered this event? Maybe there was a local magazine for teens printed for kids in Brooklyn or Manhattan.
    2. Did you happen to attend this show or know someone who did?
    3. The Brooklyn Collection at the public library has old school newspapers. Because I was born 40 years too late, I'm unfamiliar with what kids would have covered in 1964. Would this be something found in a school newspaper?

So, I'm looking for information/reviews about:

1. Murray the K's Brooklyn Fox shows from September 1964
    2. Anything Dusty Springfield or Motown related
    3. Leads on where I can find reviews
    4. People who were there or have something to say

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I enjoy investigative work like this, but I also need to make it as time efficient as possible. I'm going to New York City next week and only have about 2 days in which I have time for research.

Thank you so much for your time! I look forward to hearing from you.

I hitch-hiked from MA with a friend to Brooklyn in September of 64 to see the World's Fair and the Murray the K show at the Paramount. I remember Chuck Berry, The Animals, and the Dixie Cups.

Doug