Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tough White Neighborhoods?

Even 20 years ago was not bad. We are getting OLD here. It was the 70's and 80's that had the worst rep for NYC, with massive changes starting to shift in the 90's both in NYC and surrounding municipalities (Hoboken and JC for example). By the late 90's there was not much left.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

^ Agree.

Toughest white neighborhood: You might want to talk to some of the older women you can find around Mulberry Street (in what used to be John Gotti's territory), who are about as tough as they come and don't take no sh!t from anybody.

I believe Mulberry Street today has been almost entirely swallowed up by Chinatown and is now basically a Little Italy 'theme park' with Asian shopkeepers selling 'Fuggedaboudit' and 'Badda-Bing' t-shirts to tourists. Shame!

Yes and NoLiTa trendzoids. Odd combination.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Center City is quite nice imho. South Chicago has been a toilet for close to the last 100 years, and I don't think anyone's very concerned about that. Anywhere in Ohio I would lump in with Baltimore and Detroit. That's part of flyover land - places that hold no attraction for the sophisticated public.
    I agree with you, for the most part Philly is nice. I hate Columbus, but not because it is unsafe, just boring. Same with Cleveland. Baltimore and Detroit are dives. And most of Chicago (sans the south side) is really very nice. The wife and I are talking about moving either into the city, or North / North West.

Quote Originally Posted by Molloy View Post
    I believe Mulberry Street today has been almost entirely swallowed up by Chinatown and is now basically a Little Italy 'theme park' with Asian shopkeepers selling 'Fuggedaboudit' and 'Badda-Bing' t-shirts to tourists. Shame!
    Mulberry Street is still largely Italian from Canal all the way up to the end of "Little Italy". Even up to Spring Street there are still Italians although north or Grand you start to see more and more Asian influence.

I wonder if you are mistaking Mulberry for Mott.
    Last edited by eddhead; May 7th, 2012 at 07:07 PM.

I'm going to nitpick a little here and say that there are some really crappy parts of Philly. My main argument is that cities that have a sizable 'nice' area should be distinguished from the largely hopeless cases.

Agreed, that is why I wrote "for the most part". Still I like Philly a lot.

Default Me too.

I might wind up retiring there.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    I'm going to nitpick a little here and say that there are some really crappy parts of Philly. My main argument is that cities that have a sizable 'nice' area should be distinguished from the largely hopeless cases.
    Makes sense. Philly can be quite a dump but it's far, far from hopeless. It's no Detroit, that's for sure.

Way off topic.

I hear you can get a good cheese steak sandwich in Philly. Chestnut Hill is definitely "white" - but not too "tough" from what I have seen. Just having a bit of fun here as we eventually ger back on- topic.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Way off topic.
    Was the topic so important that it needed to be kept to?

Even the OP is going with the flow.....

I think this thread has run its course.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast