Thread: jackson heights queens studio apt bathroom reno

Default jackson heights queens studio apt bathroom reno

Hi,
    I have a studio in jackson heights, and I'm considering renovating my bathroom. I was wondering how to tell how much value I'll get back if I go ahead with the renovation. I don't want to overspend and not get anything back when it comes time to sell.

Also, since this is a studio, how risky is it to not get a tub, but just a shower?
    thanks,
    bp

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Best bet would be to ask a broker.

Your best ROI will be realized if you do a more cosmetic make-over: new tile, repair plaster walls/ceiling, new paint, replace vanity/toilet/sink.

Removing the tub is not a good idea, an apartment without a tub is a 'deal breaker' for a majority of condo/coop buyers - reglaze the existing tub.

My experience from past 'partial-reno' projects like this (mostly in Manhattan) is that the owner reaps a 200% -300% percent 'return on investment' due to the relatively low cost of 'cosmetic' alterations as opposed to 'full renovation'.

This type of project can be done with little to no change in the 'rough-in plumbing' which is the item where major expenses are typically incurred on 'full renovations' of bathrooms.

Hope that is useful input: good luck.