Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: One Vanderbilt - 42nd and Madison - 1200 ft

It's bad enough GCT is book-ended on the other side by the glassed up Grand Hyatt. Now that's a building that could use another makeover. To think that it used to be beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    The massing on top looks clumsy and the base looks like it's going to swallow GCT in its glassy maws. The base doesn't have to be so bizarre to be beautiful. This tower could be great with some tweaking but right now it does not merit a position near the Chrysler or GCT.

I have to disagree with you, I think the base compliments GCT in a clean modern approach.

I'm not against clean and modern...or glass either...but the approach here is certainly not "clean". Look how busy the lines and angles appear on that base. Sloppy sloppy mess.

Well, considering demolition has not begun I expect a classy redesign. The current rendering still looks like a placeholder.

I'm not against clean and modern...or glass either...but the approach here is certainly not "clean". Look how busy the lines and angles appear on that base. Sloppy sloppy mess.

Well maybe you should fire up revit and design something better.

The only compliment to GCT that I see - more like deference - is uppercutting the base opens up views of the terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post

SL Green One Vanderbilt would transform the area around Grand Central

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1932663
    The massing on top looks clumsy and the base looks like it's going to swallow GCT in its glassy maws. The base doesn't have to be so bizarre to be beautiful. This tower could be great with some tweaking but right now it does not merit a position near the Chrysler or GCT.
    Indeed the culmination of this looks very graceless and made even more clumsy by its elegant historic neighbor. This thing is going to have the same effect as 60 Wall St (whose aesthetics are brought down by nearby much more impressive competition; 70 Pine St, 40 Wall St). Not a bad tower in its own right but its culmination next to a legend it looks infantile, amateurish and just plain bad, height will in no way change that. Make it bulky and short and flat at 600' instead of this obtrusive and graceless assembly at 1500'. Send the design back to the architects and more intently show them its neighbor across GCT.

Guys, don't worry. First the glass screen around the spire will be value engineered out, then too the spire, and then we can all be happy when it ends up as yet another boxy stump with zero aspirations whatsoever. After all, no massing is better than awkward massing, ya?

EDIT: that came off as super cynical. I swear I'm not that jaded!
    Last edited by kz1000ps; December 5th, 2014 at 02:50 PM.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I can't imagine that they would get rid of the spire. It gives them gravitas in the pissing contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkguy1985 View Post
    Well maybe you should fire up revit and design something better.
    Uh huh. When I dislike a movie I'm expected to move to Hollywood and if the meal at a restaurant sucks I should go back-of-the-house and take over the stove.

The design sucks as it is.

He's just rude.

1,500-Foot One Vanderbilt Approved By City Planning

March 30, 2015, by Jessica Dailey

Renderings by KPF and DBOX

Grand Central's supertall neighbor moved one step closer to reality today, as City Planning unanimously approved SL Green's plans for the 1,500-foot-tall One Vanderbilt and a rezoning of the Vanderbilt Avenue corridor. Along with the tower, which will hold 1.6 million square feet of office space, SL Green will create a public plaza and make $210 million worth of transit and infrastructure improvements to Grand Central. City Planning Chairman Carl Weisbrod called the Kohn Pedersen Fox-designed tower a "a significant addition to the East Midtown business district and to our skyline," saying that it will "further the City's goal of keeping East Midtown one of the best business addresses in the world." TD Bank already signed on as the anchor tenant.

Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer approved the proposal in January, so the positive vote from City Planning was expected, despite one man's repeated attempts to thwart the tower. Up next: a City Council hearing in mid-April with the final vote in May.

City Planning Approves One Vanderbilt [TRD]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...y_planning.php

Great!

More of the same with a toothpick on top.

Hovering, nice to see an old friend.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast