Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from the UK

Default Hello from the UK

I have been browsing some Skyscraper forums and love your Forum, its nice to see some properly intellectual people on a forum,

I'm Rob from Birmingham the UK, just to say Hi, so Hi!!!! (dont mention the Olympics)

Froggy

Hello there.

Sorry to mention it, but what about the Olympics?

I feel like I'm in a Fawlty Towers script.

Manuel!

I was thinking more "The Germans"

I loved that show.

I still have not found any shows that quite measure up to it, MPFC and Black Adder (2 and 3).

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Hello there.

Sorry to mention it, but what about the Olympics?

I feel like I'm in a Fawlty Towers script.
    The same thought came to my mind. I love The Germans episode. Is this the one where Basil tried to hide nice winnings from the race track?

P.S.: you guys may already know this, but Portia from A Fish Called Wanda is the daughter of John Cleese and the woman who played Polly.

P.P.S.: I agree re: Black Adder. It was great.

You're thinking of the episode about the woman with the hearing aid, who refuses to turn it on. She loses 75, which gets mixed up with the 75 that Basil won. Polly has to tell Sybil that she won the money.

See 1:45 of the clip:

"The Germans" is where Basil tries to hang a moosehead in the lobby, and it eventually falls and hits him in the head. He wakes up with a concussion in the hospital, but escapes to return to the hotel. At the end, the old Major, who thinks the moosehead can talk, is scolding it, and one of the German guests says, "How did they ever win the war?"

I remember both of those episodes. They were great.

Do you remember the "Fawlty tities" episode? Polly looked great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxLBC3um9eQ

This wine's been corked!

My fellow countryman "Mr O'Reilly" made for some fabulous stuff too. We used to watch shows like this all the time back home (on tape). Only Fools and Horse is another classic.

And LondonLawyer, I remember that episode VERY well. No wonder Cleese had to get his hooks into her.

Polly had a nice pair of Bristols.

Quote Originally Posted by froggywhite View Post
    I have been browsing some Skyscraper forums and love your Forum, its nice to see some properly intellectual people on a forum, I'm Rob from Birmingham the UK, just to say Hi, so Hi!!!! (dont mention the Olympics)Froggy
    Why not mention the Olympics? Your team did very well compared to its usual result.And what does 'properly intellectual people on a forum' mean?

I believe he means that we do not get caught up in (too many) meaningless or trivial personal issues when talking about business or politics.

Compared to many other sites I have been on, this one conducts itself much more "professionally".

Biased? Yes, but also fully cognizant of that bias and willing to listen to other viewpoints so long as they are not prefaced by "I see you know nothing, so I will tell you what is really the case..."

City-data is one place that was very difficult to discuss anything remotely political (in buildings and any other topic OTHER than politics) without it eventually sliding into emotional opinion slinging.

As for the olympics, I think it is because Britain did not do well.... troublemaker.

We did wonderfully as a nation, in presenting and participating.

Recent British Comedy Greats include,
    Father Ted.
    Black Books.
    Threesome.
    The Inbetweeners
    The Office - (not the wishy washy american version)
    Peter Kay's Pheonix Nights
    Im Alan Patridge - ALL OF THEM!
    The League of Gentlmen to name a few.

All classics in their own special way!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    I loved that show.

I still have not found any shows that quite measure up to it, MPFC and Black Adder (2 and 3).
    See my above post, although, not quite as "classic" these are and will be some day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast