Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The New York Wheel - by Starneth

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Is the (!) one of surprise? Largest city beach in the US is in the Rockaways.

One of the renderings seems to distort the location of the wheel and memorial. Looks to be about 100 yard away, and there's a road that would separate them. The project has to go through a typical land-use review, and I'm sure that the memorial will be an issue.

The ! was more that I'm in NY City & at a beach. Ok it's not Manhatten,but it's still the city.

100 yards still seems close & Zippy as you said before, if it gets the crowds away from the High Line. I want to visit there next time.

New York Post
    October 7, 2012

INSIDE CITY HALL

SI’s ferris ‘boo’er

Molinari fears traffic mess

By DAVID SEIFMAN

Guy Molinari has his own spin on the 625-foot-high Ferris wheel being planned for Staten Island — he wants it to stop before it starts.

“Nobody but nobody is talking about traffic,” complained the former Staten Island borough president, openly taking on current Borough President Jim Molinaro as well as Mayor Bloomberg.

“I don’t remember a project having so little oversight,” added Molinari. “The mayor is all giddy about it. What about transparency? It’s a disgrace, an absolute disgrace. Bloomberg and Molinaro are rushing to get something, something they did as their legacy.”

Anyone who’s ever met Molinari, a scrappy ex-congressman, knows he’s not one to pull punches.

But even for him, this is mighty tough talk for a $480 million development that comes complete with a shopping center, could finally persuade tourists to stick around the island after getting off the ferry, and seems to have the support of most local elected officials.

Sen. Chuck Schumer even predicted the big wheel would become New York’s equivalent of the Eiffel Tower.

Molinari has some experience with big projects. Not good experience.

He tried to sell the island on a $600 million NASCAR raceway that also included a shopping center, only to have it shot down in 2006 over concerns about the traffic it would generate a couple of weekends a year.

“There’s a certain hypocrisy on the part of elected officials [supporting the Ferris wheel],” Molinari said. “They’re the same ones who were screaming about traffic back then. What upsets me more is they’re playing us for a bunch of damn fools. Don’t tell the public anything.”

Molinaro insisted traffic won’t be a problem because he’s envisioning the St. George neighborhood around the wheel being transformed into its own mini-city by the addition of 920 apartments at the old Homeport. The island’s only subway line is nearby.

“It’s not an area that’s heavily congested,” said Molinaro. “The idea is to make St. George an area where you don’t need a car.” Clearly, the 2 million tourists who ride the ferry each year won’t add to the vehicle congestion when they hop on the wheel. As for residents, Molinaro argued they’d probably only try the record-sized attraction once or twice, and many would use the train to get to it.

“It’s not a legacy project for me in no way, shape or form,” Molinaro said, directly refuting his predecessor and longtime ally.

He suggested Molinari was speaking out because of the bad feelings lingering from NASCAR, which inspired a community forum so raucous it had to be shut down.

“I think he’s really angry NASCAR didn’t get a fair shake,” he said. “I agree.”

Before it can be built, the wheel will have to undergo an environmental review that includes a study of the traffic consequences. With 5 percent of the population, the island already has 18.5 percent of all the cars registered in the city. Can’t wait for that study to be completed.

david.seifman@nypost.com

Copyright 2012 NYP Holdings, Inc.

"Traffic" is the go to excuse for people who have a personal opposition to a project.

I don't feel any sympathy for people who choose to drive and end up stuck in traffic or can't find a parking space. This site is one of the few places on SI easily accessible by mass transit. How the city has neglected the borough's infrastructure is shameful though.

Forum Veteran

Hoboken , Liberty State Park , Weehawken , Long Island City all better choices then here....the views aren't that great from SI , the tip of Manhattan , Port Bayonne and Industrial Brooklyn...not something worth looking at in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    Hoboken , Liberty State Park , Weehawken , Long Island City all better choices then here....the views aren't that great from SI , the tip of Manhattan , Port Bayonne and Industrial Brooklyn...not something worth looking at in my opinion.
    Considering Las Vegas is getting two giant wheels, I see no reason why New Jersey can't have one as well...

...because, well, New Jersey is not Vegas. The north tip of Staten Island can sustain a giant wheel due to great exposure, transportation infrastructure and regular crowds of tourists arriving from Lower Manhattan. The Meadowlands area just doesn't have the draw to make such a wheel profitable. It needs to be something more than a collection of stadiums and a racetrack half an hour away from the NYC. Xanadu was a step in the right direction in terms of making the Meadowlands into a destination, but we all know how that turned out. IMO the most likely location in NJ for a ferris wheel would be in Atlantic City.

Besides, the SI wheel would have some epic views of the Verrazano bridge, if that amounts to anything.

The Meadowlands is still getting a wheel at the American Dream complex. The renovation of Steel Pier in Atlantic City is also slated to include a wheel in it's plan. Both are planned to be around 250-300 feet high.

We keep hearing about the Meadowlands wheel, and year after year it's been "the wheel is being pushed back by another few months, but then it's definitely starting". I have doubts about its feasibility because of available views as well, not only because its off-the-beaten-path location:

Quote Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
    And what is there to look at from the Meadowlands? Aside from pretty nice Downtown and Jersey City views, all you get is: the rest of New York skyline, greatly obscured by the 200' ridge of the Palisades; stadiums and gigantic parking lots in the foreground; the Turnpike and related interchanges, packed with Lincoln Tunnel-bound traffic; the swamp, marred by office parks and transmission towers; and suburban sprawl. Would it ever be something worthy of a return visit?

The Meadowlands isn't too off the beaten path. After American Dream opens there will be other reasons to visit there, but even if it opens before then, there are excellent views of NY, and how about that New Jersey horizon, especially at sunset? Anywhere you put a wheel near the waterways you're going to get a great view.

Bayonne is another good place once they clean up the lower peninsula (where the cruise ships are and the 9/11 memorial). Liberty State park should stay as natural as possible, they already have two restaurants, plus the waterfront and RR museum. Anywhere else in JC feasible?

Quote Originally Posted by mariab View Post
    The Meadowlands isn't too off the beaten path. After American Dream opens there will be other reasons to visit there, but even if it opens before then, there are excellent views of NY, and how about that New Jersey horizon, especially at sunset? Anywhere you put a wheel near the waterways you're going to get a great view.

Bayonne is another good place once they clean up the lower peninsula (where the cruise ships are and the 9/11 memorial). Liberty State park should stay as natural as possible, they already have two restaurants, plus the waterfront and RR museum. Anywhere else in JC feasible?
    Not really Mariab not then I can think of; JC is really focusing on building out the waterfront. They did however put a carousel on the waterfront in Newport Green. I agree LSP should stay as natural as possible.

At first I was on board with the whole Xandau/American Dream project and the ferris wheel, but now I just think the whole project is a gigantic waste of money and will have the negative affect of seriously hurting other regional shopping malls in Bergen County and Harmon Cove development in Secaucus.

The Meadowlands Wheel is supposedly sitting in boxes somewhere off site waiting for construction to resume... it had been ready to be installed had the development not come to a halt.

The American Dream wheel will be a hit simply because it's in a location with high foot traffic and other amusements such as the indoor ski slope. You could build a wheel at any mall and it would generate revs, even if the view is of parked cars. Having a major ferris wheel somewhere along the waterfront would be a huge draw. Lots of people are already drawn to the nice public spaces created there and those iconic views. Many would be happy to also enjoy a new attraction.

Many would be happy to also enjoy a new attraction.
    Yes please
    how about a sky tower, or a ski lift kind of thingy(but really high up)...anything but another wheel!

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by DUMBRo View Post
    The American Dream wheel will be a hit simply because it's in a location with high foot traffic and other amusements such as the indoor ski slope. You could build a wheel at any mall and it would generate revs, even if the view is of parked cars. Having a major ferris wheel somewhere along the waterfront would be a huge draw. Lots of people are already drawn to the nice public spaces created there and those iconic views. Many would be happy to also enjoy a new attraction.
    I really , Really Hope it never opens , like JCMAN said it will not only kill the other malls , but it will also cause massive traffic chaos and pollution to the Meadowlands. It was approved by corrupt politicians a decade ago...and hasn't opened yet...it should be torn down and the Wetlands restored....same with the Izod center demolish it. The land on where it sits is liquid and cracks have appeared in the foundation , its clear we shouldn't be building there yet the County which doesn't have brain let them.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast