Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: The New York Wheel - by Starneth

Staten Island on a Roll

Other Projects Move Ahead as City Council Approves Plan for Ferris Wheel, Mall

By Richard Morgan

Amid celebration in Staten Island this week after Wednesday's City Council approval of a an eye-catching Ferris wheel and an adjoining outlet mall and hotel, a number of smaller-scale nearby plans have been progressing with less attention.

A husband-and-wife team, Scott Van Campen and D.B. Lampman, has expanded and converted its metal shop into Staten Island Makerspace, a nonprofit business incubator in Stapleton on the island's North Shore. The project is inspired by 3rd Ward, a now-defunct design and education workspace based in Brooklyn's Bushwick neighborhood, and the Entrepreneur Space, a kitchen incubator in Long Island City in Queens.

During superstorm Sandy last year, the couple's workshop was flooded and filled with knee-high mud. Now cleaned up, it has expanded to 6,000 square feet from 2,800, offering 16 studios to local craftspeople from 20-somethings to septuagenarians.

The first workshop, for a group of women welders, opens on Monday.

Mr. Van Campen hopes the effort will "help people here just get back on their feet, and feel better about themselves and their home while doing it."

In addition, plans were announced last week to convert New York City Farm Colony, a derelict poorhouse and hospital in Willowbrook, Staten Island, into Landmark Colony, a retirement community. On a per-capita basis, Staten Island has the largest elderly population of the five boroughs.

And in June, plans were announced to build mixed-use apartments at the Homeport, a 35-acre decommissioned naval base.

"We have a buzz and it feels good," said Cheryl Adolph, the chief operations officer at the Staten Island Museum, who moved to the borough in 1993. "This is the biggest thing to happen to us" since the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, she said, referring to the Ferris wheel approval and other projects. "The whole culture has transformed since those old days."

The City Council has approved a plan for a 625-foot Ferris wheel that is slated as one of the world's largest, with views of the Statue of Liberty, New York Harbor and the Manhattan skyline.

Dubbed the New York Wheel and scheduled for a 2016 opening, the attraction is aimed at the 22 million local, national and international tourists who ride the Staten Island Ferry annually.
    Debi Rose, a City Council member who pushed hard for the New York Wheel, promised "we're coming up to the apex of a renaissance here."

Making comparisons to the Wheel and development at Governors Island, Randall Island, Long Island City and the Brooklyn waterfront, Kyle Kimball, president of the city's Economic Development Corporation, which is behind many of the projects, cheered "the reconnection of the city and its waterfront."

He called it "just a tremendous asset that has been underutilized for far too long."

Staten Island Borough President James Molinaro Thursday called the latest flurry of development "just the beginning."

While it would be the biggest Ferris wheel in the world if it were built today, a 689-foot wheel is planned for Dubai.
    Mr. Molinaro laughed when the competitive challenge was pointed out.

"Let them," he said. "Our ferry ride is shorter. And cheaper, too, you know what I mean?"

Mr. Molinaro is so confident in his borough's new gleaming future that he has started trying out a new name for the North Shore: "Battery Park West."

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...69992723958538

The City Breaks Ground on New York’s 630-Foot Ferris Wheel Tomorrow!

Posted On Wed, April 15, 2015 By Diane Pham

Hold on to your hats, folks! After countless delays, the New York Wheel is finally back on track. Architizer reports that workers are gearing up to break ground tomorrow, April 16th, on what is slated to become the world’s tallest observation wheel. Providing panoramic views of New York Harbor and the cityscape beyond, the 630-foot wheel located at the tip of St. George on northern Staten Island is primed to become one of the most epic ways to experience New York City.

The wheel project was originally masterminded in 2013 by the Bloomberg Administration and approved by the city council that same year, but hit a series of roadblocks stemming from political head-butting to the $500 million construction bill. However, in July of last year, the wheel got an unlikely cash injection of $150 million from a group of 300 Chinese investors through a federal program that allows foreigners and their families to obtain temporary visas when they invest at least $500,000 in U.S. job creation, propelling it forward once again.

The wheel is being designed by a team of ferris wheel experts and engineers that includes the Dutch firm Starneth, B.V., creators of the new millennium’s London Eye and the forthcoming Dubai wheel, and Perkins Eastman/EEK Architects, who will handle wheel-anchoring and visitor access.

The wheel itself will accommodate an impressive 1,440 people per ride, carrying an estimated 3.5 million visitors annually. Each orbit on the wheel lasts a considerable 38-minutes (for an expected $35 admission), its highest point reaching about 60 stories. Currently, the design stands to be the world’s tallest, however, Dubai is currently woking on a 690-foot wheel of their own.

As part of the experience, there will also be an entertainment/retail complex at the base, which will include a floating swimming complex, a 125,000-square-foot Terminal Building that will offer shopping, a restaurant, 4-D theater, gardens, a playground and exhibition space featuring New York City history.

If all goes without a hitch, the wheel will open to the public in the second quarter of 2017.

Images courtesy of Perkins Eastman Architects

http://www.6sqft.com/the-city-breaks...heel-tomorrow/

Not sure about "epic way to see New York," but it's really cool. I didin't think it was going to get off the ground.

Why is this in Staten? The wheel should be in Battery Park.

Please tell me your joking?! (The wheel sure is)

Battery Park?

The Ferris wheel would have to have a diameter of at least 700 feet to grab any substantial views of anything other than New Jersey and the harbor, and since that isn't possible yet it's likely to gross only half of what it would, being in Staten Island. Staten Island doesn't have that problem, and it offers better views.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to have another tourist magnet in lower Manhattan. Send them to the outer-est of outer boroughs. The SI Ferry loop is already popular; now they'll have a reason to stay there a while.

Agree. The design is quite elegant, by the way. I hope the reality actually looks like this. I was recently wondering how the Whitney trustees could have picked that monstrous design on the West Side Hwy, so I went to the web site and looked at the original depictions, and it looks completely different. I hope we are not snookered into another eyesore here.

Funny, I think the Whitney looks just fine, the wheel on the other hand...
    To each his/her own.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    The SI Ferry loop is already popular; now they'll have a reason to stay there a while.
    I was kinda against the project cuz the wheel looked out of place and took away from Todt Hill -the tallest point on the eastern coastline south of Maine- until I read that. I guess it does give the ferry a brighter light at the end of the voyage for tourists. It certainly has a light and elegant air to its structure; which could expand on the skyline horizons a bit south; specially when watching fireworks from Brooklyn .

Yeah, I say its a good idea.

NYC used to be a leader, but now it's just following European cities.

The idea of an ugly museum was already done in Paris with the Centre Pompadour, and has no one heard of the London Eye?

So don't tell me this Whitney or the Staten Island ferris wheel is anything new.

Forum Veteran

The same can be said of Grand Central Terminal, no one seems too upset about that one. Following does not preclude one from leading elsewhere

Forum Veteran

By the way, they should bring back the ferry crossing fee. It could be waived with a New York City resident card. As it stands a large portion of travellers are tourists taking the free ride back and forth

Quote Originally Posted by EastMillinocket View Post
    NYC used to be a leader, but now it's just following European cities.

The idea of an ugly museum was already done in Paris with the Centre Pompadour, and has no one heard of the London Eye?

So don't tell me this Whitney or the Staten Island ferris wheel is anything new.
    New York set a standard, but I wouldn't consider it a leader. Compared to its European competition it is relatively young, in its inception.

London is almost a thousand years old. Quite a decent amount of its architecture is either 100-200+ years old or getting there. Then you have new development, which aims to bring the city into the future.

Honestly it's all about the architect. In recent years we have had only a handful of what I would call "good". The others strive to riddle the skyline with unimaginative glass boxes.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BStyles View Post
    Honestly it's all about the architect. In recent years we have had only a handful of what I would call "good". The others strive to riddle the skyline with unimaginative glass boxes.
    You mean, about the developer. You can find any manner of architect, but if the owner wants a common looking building that's what he's going to get

DNAinfo
    October 29, 2015

City Council Approves Changes to New York Wheel Redesign

By Nicholas Rizzi

The New York Wheel's redesign was approved by the City Council on Thursday, Oct. 29, 2015.

ST. GEORGE — The City Council unanimously approved the changes to the New York Wheel design during their stated meeting on Thursday.

The 60-story observation wheel — which promises to be the largest in the world when it opens in 2017 — went through the city approval process a second time after architects had to change the designs of its parking garage and terminal building.

"This approval today will ensure that construction will continue as scheduled," Rich Marin, president and CEO of the Wheel, said in a statement. "With today’s Council vote, The New York Wheel will become the centerpiece for New York Harbor’s newest urban getaway, Destination St. George."

Aside from the approval, Marin also announced that cameras at Robin Reefs Lighthouse were turned on and people can watch the construction of the wheel live online.

The $500 million project initially cleared the city's lengthy Uniform Land Use Review Procedure (ULURP) in 2013, but had to go through it again after the architects had to redesign the parking garage when tests found the original location had "substandard soil conditions," Marin said in a meeting in July.

The new design of the 950-unit garage calls to be open — instead of using mechanical ventilation — and added an extra level to fit more spaces, Marin said.

The design for the landscaped roof garden, which will now be open 24/7, and the playground were also changed.

The application still needs approval by the mayor before it's finalized.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast