Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Empire State Building Observatory

I have been to NYC several times, but never up into the ESB. My husband has never been to NYC, and we are planning a trip. What other "Must Do!" activities, restaurants, etc. are in near proximity to the ESB? We will likely be riding the subway and walking a LOT to keep our spending to a minimum, so we'd like to stay in the same area of NYC as much as possible during each day.

Top of the Rock. Reading Room & Map Room of the NY Public Library at Fifth / 42nd. Bryant Park. Grand Central Terminal. All within 20 blocks of the ESB.

And don't miss the High Line: Walk west from ESB to 30th & Tenth where you can enter the park. Walk south on the elevated rails to the Meatpacking District & Chelsea Market. Then you're right near Greenwich Village and can also check out Hudson River Park all the way down to Battery Park.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Macy's.

I was going to say the HRP too Loft.....

Also, walking through the West Village can be a treat. Lots of nice smaller restaurants and such along the way, and classic brownstone dwellings on non-grid streets (you may need a GPS or map if you want to find a particular place in there!)

Guys, some of these pics should be cross-linked into the Photo subforum. Some really great stuff here.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Macy's.
    Oh god.

Well, if they like shopping, there is always Century 21 (if they also like crowds and such).

There is also that Toys-R-Us near...the south east corner of Union Square I think.

If it is Beer, I would recommend the Blind Tiger at Jones and Bleeker in the west village....

Does it cost $ to go up in the ESB? I have never been up there. I suggest trying local restaurants. They are almost always better than chains and give you a taste of NYC.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to print some of these off because I'll never remember on my own! Thanks for awesome responses.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123