Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NYC Subway for Visitors

Default NYC Subway for Visitors

Asking people who use the subway regularly,seems the logical thing to do so here goes.
    I've used the London underground regular and find it so easy but looking at maps of the New York subway it looks much more difficult,as a novice what do you basically look for?Do you look for your destination and then work your way back?Are the subways clearly sign posted when you get underground?Are the destinations on the front of the trains?Is the subway safe late evening early morning?Any info would be great!!
    Thanks in anticipation.
    A complete novice.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Wink The bus maps are easier.

They also show subway stops and have an overlay of the streets.

The subways are clearly signposted, just know which train you want to take and whether you are going uptown or downtown. If you look at a subway map, you'll know which train you need to take, for example 456 run up and down on the east side, the E runs across midtown and down 8th ave. They are generally very safe at all times of day, however I wouldn't recommend taking them alone very late at night. As long as you are traveling with at least 1 other person, you will be absolutely fine. Good luck!

You can also try this GoogleMap/Subway overlay "hack" site:

http://www.onnyturf.com/subwaymap.php

It is pretty handy in that it shows you where the actual stations are in relation to a scaled map rather than the NYT's colorful schematic....

Nice one Ninjahedge,looks a litlle clearer when shown like that,i'm pretty sure that once we've used the subway once it'll be easy!

Can you buy a five day subway ticket?If so what is the approximate cost??
    Thanks.
    Ginger

Metro Card is the name of the NYC transit fare ticket.

There are two types of cards: Pay-per-ride or unlimited-ride.

The unlimited ride has several options:
    http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/metrocard/m....htm#unlimited

Thanks Zippythechimp looks a good deal to me,just the info I needed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge
    You can also try this GoogleMap/Subway overlay "hack" site:

http://www.onnyturf.com/subwaymap.php

It is pretty handy in that it shows you where the actual stations are in relation to a scaled map rather than the NYT's colorful schematic....
    Thanks Ninjehedge that is so helpfull

Quote Originally Posted by jc37
    The subways are clearly signposted, just know which train you want to take and whether you are going uptown or downtown. If you look at a subway map, you'll know which train you need to take, for example 456 run up and down on the east side, the E runs across midtown and down 8th ave. They are generally very safe at all times of day, however I wouldn't recommend taking them alone very late at night. As long as you are traveling with at least 1 other person, you will be absolutely fine. Good luck!
    don't give the woman wrong information man.. i wouldn't recomend taking the subway past 8 p.m. and that thing about going with another person is totally wrong only people on the subway that late at night is blacks and spanish kids (no effence im black myself just stating a fact) i'm just saying if you haven't grew up in ny they can tell by your nervousness and how you don't fit in they will attack anyone of any race as long as he/she as money the subway is very dangerous at night..people get stabbed,shot and jumped all the time you really shouldn't take it late at night.... because they will just make you nervous they will stare at you until you do and then follow you off the train take your money maybe even hit you most of the ghetto kids have guns or weapons on them and aren't afraid to use them..they will hurt you if you even say leave me alone it's not like the suburbs and these kids have nothing to live for (in their minds) so they don't care about going to jail or other stuff and theres no police officers down by the subway they are mostly upstairs and considering there has been numerous cop shootings/killings in NY it doesnt matter if they were there or not but im not saying this to scare you it's perfectly fine during the day-light but when it gets dark they all go out and start trouble especillay in the summer but NY is a great place you just have to know how to get around... and you'll be fine have a great time

Thanks for the honest info King Thing1234,I think travelling around strange(I mean that as in it being new to me!)cities means you have to vigilant and possibly blend into the background as much as possible!!Which is hard being ginger,19 stone and speaking with an English accent!
    Thanks any way and just to put the record straight,i'm a bloke!!!

Forum Veteran

Ginger, and anyone else who might read this thread,

Myths about predatory black and latino kids who all carry weapons and are just waiting to attack are well, myths - not honesty. And hateful bigotry with I would take "effence" to. This is the New York City of the past or from some movie from the past. The recent subway shootings that stand out in my mind have all been during the day in very populated areas. Freak random crime that in a city this big is statistically pertty uncommon)

The subway is very safe at any time of day (8pm too late? good grief). I might suggest you take a cab past 11 or so, but more for the convenience (you'll have to wait for the train and you might be uncomfortable waiting on empty platforms after reading BS about every black and latino kid wanting to mug you). I see tiny women riding the subway alone at night all the time with no fear. An English guy would be fine - accent or no. There's no reason to be scared.

Don't pay any attention to King Thing. He is just a troll.

I doubt any of the black people I know would qualify their opinion on safety in the subway with:
    im black myself just stating a fact

Don't listen to this guy -- I frequently take the 6 train home around 11:00 PM at night and find it to be both very crowded and very safe.

Perhaps the advantage of having a subway system that has a lower capacity than the number of people that use it is the fact that trains are always busy.

This guy is just a racist who thinks all Hispanics and Blacks are somehow knife-wielding muggers waiting to prance upon tourists.

Now, I wouldn't recommend taking the subway past midnight --- but if you did I wouldn't be that worried.

I can't name a subway shooting over the past year that was an act of random violence. They were all between two criminals. And none of them were at night ironically.

Ginger, pay no mind to the troll behind the curtain. I agree wholeheartedly with Ryan and Maccreator.
    Last edited by Schadenfrau; February 4th, 2006 at 02:50 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast