Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sculpture on the Streets of Manhattan

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriKenArtist
    Edward, can you give an update on other locations for viewing outdoor pieces? I'll be in town on the 20th-22nd. Is the typewriter eraser still on public disply?
    Eraser is long gone. See Public Art Fund website at http://www.publicartfund.org/ for current exhibitions. But you are in luck - here is the sculpture by Damien Hirst that is much better than the eraser. That's the kind of powerful art New York needs - the city should ship the impotent sculpture of the downtown bull to some provincial town and put this one in its place.

Damien Hirst. The Virgin Mother. In Lever House courtyard.

One more suggestion - a pair of beautiful bronze sculptures by Fernando Botero inside Time Warner Center.

Damien Hirst? Is that the guy who exhibited animals in formaldehyde at the Brooklyn Museum? Bring in the clinical pathologist!

Default Amazing!

Thank you for the information, Edward. I will be viewing the Virgin that weekend! Powerful! And I'll visit Columbus Circle. It's been quite a long time since I've been in that neighborhood!
    Last edited by AmeriKenArtist; May 14th, 2005 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Added comment

Default Elephant Dung

On my way from the Virgin Mother to Botero, I stopped to watch the children interact with the elephants. All I could think of, was Groucho Marx saying "How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know!" The Plaza provided a pleasant contrast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elephant Dung.JPG 
Views:	1359 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	884  

Default TW Center

We walked the southern fringe of Central Park. The twin towers of Time Warner were impressive at a distance. Once in front of the buildings, I was overwhelmed with the variety of angles in the design. Whole Foods was a great place to rest and take sustenance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Time Warner.JPG 
Views:	843 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	894  

Julian Opie, City?, 2004

Aluminum, paint, vinyl
    Animals, Buildings, Cars, and People
    October 28, 2004 - October 15, 2004
    City Hall Park

Ive had my picture taken in that one before! lol

David Shapiro. Left for Dead, 2005
    Abandoned bicycles, steel posts, aluminum signs, vinyl letters.

Art in Socrates Sculpture Park.

Robert Therrien: Table and Six Chairs
    painted metal
    September 28 - November 28, 2005
    At 590 Madison Avenue

http://publicartfund.org/pafweb/proj...errien-05.html

Robert Therrien: Table and Six Chairs
    is a single, monumental sculpture by Los Angeles-based artist Robert Therrien. No Title , 2003 (Table and Six Chairs) is a colossal table-and-chair set that stands almost ten-feet-high, so tall that viewers can easily walk beneath it. Therrien uses quotidian objects because he knows his viewers will be as familiar with their form and function as he is. This allows him to tap into the broad cultural resonance and narrative ambiguity of everyday forms. The experience of walking underneath the table and chairs, for example, can be at once intimate and uncanny, prompting childhood nostalgia or just physical disorientation. No Title , 2003 (Table and Six Chairs) is made after the actual wooden table-and-chair set that Therrien has at home in his own kitchen. Although it is made of painted metal, the sculpture looks like it is wood.
    For Therrien, No Title , 2003 (Table and Chairs) marks a new way of exhibiting his works; the table and chairs have always been shown in gallery spaces that required the viewer to walk under the work to see it. In the expansive atrium of 590 Madison, the viewer can get an all-over look at the table and chairs from far away. This shift is subtle yet important to Therrien, for whom the act of art-making is fundamentally about looking at something from a different perspective, and enticing viewers to do the same.
    Artist Bio
    Therrien was born in Chicago in 1947; he now lives and works in Los Angeles. Highlights of his many solo exhibitions include self-titled exhibitions at the Gagosian Gallery, New York (2001); Los Angeles County Museum of Art (2000); Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid (1991); and Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles (1984).
    Sponsorship
    Special thanks to Edward J. Minskoff Equities.
    590 Madison Avenue is located between 56th and 57th Streets. The atrium is open to the public from 8am - 10pm daily.

Cybele, the Goddess of Fertility, the sculpture by Mihail Chemiakin, in front of Mimi Ferzt Gallery in Soho, on Prince Street.

The amazing energy and culture of this amazing city are unmatched anywhere.

Trinity Roots, sculpture in bronze, by Steve Tobin, at Trinity Church, Broadway & Rector St.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriKenArtist
    On my way from the Virgin Mother to Botero, I stopped to watch the children interact with the elephants. All I could think of, was Groucho Marx saying "How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know!" The Plaza provided a pleasant contrast.

Is that rainbow elephant-poop?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast