Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hostess, maker of Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Wonder Bread set to close. 18,500 Jobs Go.

Default Hostess, maker of Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Wonder Bread set to close. 18,500 Jobs Go.

Hostess, maker of Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Wonder Bread, set to close and lay off 18,500 workers, citing nationwide strike as cause

The company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in January

Comments (160)By Tracy Connor / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Friday, November 16, 2012, 7:52 AM

Updated: Friday, November 16, 2012, 1:22 PM

PAUL J. RICHARDS/AFP/Getty Images

Hostess, maker of the iconic Twinkie, announced it was set to close and lay off all of its 18,500 employees.

Ding Dong! The Twinkie is dead.
    And the Devil Dog, Drake’s Coffee Cake and Wonder Bread, too.
    Hostess, one of the nation’s most iconic and enduring food brands, announced Friday it’s going out of business and laying off 18,500 workers amid bankruptcy and labor strife.
    The 82-year-old company will try to sell its formulas and brands, but until that happens no more Sno Balls or Ho Hos will be made or shipped.
    In the snack aisles of New York’s food shops, there was mourning for those golden tubes of cream-filled sponge cake.
    “Are you kidding me?” said Lorraine Bennett, 53, a medical worker from Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn. “After all these years, they’re closing?
    “Twinkies are my favorite! I love that cream filling. And you can fry them. We’ve got to protest. I’m calling the CEO.”
    RELATED: WALMART WORKERS PLAN MASS PROTESTS LEADING UP TO BLACK FRIDAY

Workers at the Hostess outlet store in Jamaica — one of three in the city — said lines were long, with fans coming in to stock up before supplies run out. The closest factory is in Philadelphia.

Even though it racks up $2.5 billion in sales a year, Hostess has been in bankruptcy since January, for the second time in less than a decade.

The company wanted to slash worker wages and benefits, and while the Teamsters struck a deal, the bakers union balked and went on strike last week.

Crippled by the walkout, the company warned it would shut its 33 plants on Friday if workers weren’t back on the job Thursday.

Management squarely blamed labor, saying union wages and pensions had made the company unprofitable and unable to secure financing to emerge from bankruptcy.

“We deeply regret the necessity of today’s decision, but we do not have the financial resources to
    weather an extended nationwide strike," said CEO Gregory Rayburn.

The Teamsters said in a statement that the Texas-based company has “clearly been mismanaged for quite some time” — but didn’t let the bakers off the hook.

“The company’s operating and financial problems were so severe that it required steep concession from a variety of stakeholders but not all stakeholders were willing to be constructive,” the Teamsters said.

The bakers union was not commenting. Rayburn said its leaders had convinced workers another company would swoop in and rescue the operation -- but that no one is interested in buying Hostess
    outright.

The food-maker’s bottom line also may have been hurt by skyrocketing competition in the snack industry and a trend toward healthier eating.

“They didn’t change with the times,” said Ivan Arguello, owner of a Key Food in Brooklyn Heights that does not stock Hostess products. “My children don’t even know what Drake and Hostess are.”

The bagel store next to the Key Food doesn’t sell Hostess either — though worker Michael LaForte was sad to hear of the firm’s demise.

“I grew up with the Twinkies,” he said. “In fact, I sent a box to a friend in Austria a few months ago. He had seen them in the movies and wanted to try them.

“He loved them.”

Bennett said she is so distraught at the loss of her favorite treat, she would even accept a tweaked version.

“Maybe they could make a whole-grain Twinkie,” she said.

Watch the video

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...#ixzz2CPhe8FGe

Remarkable than ANY of those products are even legal. Garbage.

I ate them when I was a kid, and even not too long ago. Was one of my childhood favorites!

Well, like the old saying goes...

Forum Veteran

Everyone on the NBC 5:00 and 6:00 news tonight was holding a twinkie (Janice Huff had 2). It was pretty funny.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cup.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	16640I have a couple of Hostess cupcake plastic containers (chocolate and vanilla). I guess they'll be collectables soon -
    Last edited by stache; November 17th, 2012 at 10:52 AM.

Didn't like any of them as a kid - except Drake's Coffee Cake.

A cinnamon rush. I loved them.

I will miss the Drake's cake duck!

Bleh.

No big loss here.

And we have yet another example of unreasonable parties (probably on both sides) that were unwilling to come to a solution. I am not casting the blame on either, but most likely on both, with the onus weighing more heavily on one.

I do not like how the story seems to pitch it into the lap of the unions though.....
    Last edited by Ninjahedge; November 18th, 2012 at 12:12 AM.

Default I say when and I say Hostess!

I ate them all as a kid.
    I now eat a healthy vegetarian diet, exercise moderately, meditate regularly, and I still struggle with obesity/overweight.
    This is no loss to our children.

I'm going to miss the fruit pies. I ate one of those every blue moon!

Loved me a Ho Ho back in the day. Would unroll it, go for the frosting first.

Tried one recently. Disgusting.

Seems there are some new twists & developments in the case now.

It appears that the company is offering other baking co's a buyout so that the company can stay alive and in business. Just heard it on the news.

I never cared to much for the donettes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast