Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: The High Line: elevated railroad in Chelsea

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Unless the adults get to use them, too. In fact a big swing that arches out from the HL into the air would be fantastic!
    Oh, yeah, wheeeeeeee!

Maybe a seat...err swing belt would be in order, though ?

Loft... but the temptation to jump off would get someone sometime......

As for the suggestions... it amazes me how much people will suggest something without thinking of the practicality. Putting a train back on the tracks? Do they have ANY clue how heavy those things are, and how non "kid friendly" they would be to semi-supervised youngsters? Even a non-operational piece would be no "playspace" for kids.

I think it would look cool, but I also think it would be expensive to maintain (keep it from leaving rust stains along the line, cleaning bird and other critter nests from it, etc etc).

I would like to see a Ferris Wheel on the High Line, how's that!

The weight of the train would definitely have to be considered. Of course the original HL structure could support a rail car, but that's with all the gravel ballast beneath the tracks. The new park design required removal of that contaminated ballast (good image from Radical Intersubjectivity here: WHAT WAS REMOVED) and the tracks were re-laid atop a structural grid, which definitely wouldn't have nearly the sufficient strength to hold a train engine weighing anywhere from 265,000 to 410,000 lbs.

They'd have to devise a completely different support system if a train car is to be included. But there are stretches in Section 3 where the HL column supports are much closer together (particularly along W 30th just east of Eleventh) than they are in the north <> south stretch.

Here's how they've done it so far, showing framework and space between the original structure and the new park surface:

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post

I would like to see a Ferris Wheel on the High Line, how's that!
    I'm all for that. Put it in the green space of the Hudson Yards and let it circle around above the High Line. If not there then put on out on a restored Pier 76.

Or install the ferris wheel on the ground, perpendicular to the HL, and run the HL through the middle of the wheel.

Ho hum...Another big city with a big Ferris wheel...com'on couldn't we be a bit more original?
    At one time someone had proposed running a giant roller coaster up there (sorta bringing back the use of a train)- it looked awesome!
    it could run under, through, and over

Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    Ho hum...Another big city with a big Ferris wheel...com'on couldn't we be a bit more original?
    I was being sarcastic. ""

I don't think there should be any playgrounds, or rides, or the like, that will attract more people. It will get more visitors when Hudson Yards and the Whitney Annex open; it doesn't need to get any more popular.

There's plenty of room at the 5 acre Gansevoort Peninsula for that stuff.

They are just suggestions from an ill-informed public.

Swings for adults, by all means! But yeah, under not on top, terrible idea.

OK, hook the swings on the underneath of the steel beams along West Side Hiway and we can swing out over the traffic!

Forget the swing set; something akin to THIS would be very cool near the High Line, as shown by Archinect as one of the 11 most visited Projects during 2011 ...

The American Institute of Steel Reclamation

A Research and Educational Facility for the Promotion of Steel Recycling

Sun Valley, CA
    Design Partner: Jan Lim

Render

Render

Render

Plan

Section

Sectional Perspective

Why does it have to be that......sci-fi looking?

The only problem I see is that a plan like this has too many edges, corners, seams and protrusions to keep in good working order over a reasonable life span.

It also reminds me more of an airline gangplank/boarding tunnel than a.... junkyard observation deck? Those odd height windows sporadically placed along its length make me feel claustrophobic...

It also makes me think of todays FPS (First Person Shooter) games.... (See "Brink")

I dunno.....

Very creative idea. Complements the High Line nicely.

How a Shy Artist Dealt With Having the High Line Right Outside Her Window

by Sarah Goodyear

When the second phase of Manhattan’s High Line Park opened last summer, painter Hyemi Cho was anxious.

Her apartment in a rundown brick building overlooks the once-abandoned rail line that has become a flashy international tourist attraction. “I was worried about the loss of privacy,” she says.

When she moved in six years ago, this was an industrial neighborhood where it wasn't necessarily safe to venture out at night. Now, thanks to the cachet the High Line has brought to this part of Chelsea, the gas stations and scrap yards of 10th Avenue are being crowded out by chic restaurants and fancy apartment buildings. One just down the street from Cho touts a “Bohemian-Nouveau” lifestyle and promises, “You don’t have to live like a starving artist to feel like one.” Whatever that might mean.

A studio in the building is listed at $670,000; two-bedrooms are going for north of $2 million.

Cho has been living an older style of bohemianism. She’s a shy, soft-spoken woman who prefers New York to her native Japan because of the artistic freedom she has found here. At the top of several flights of crooked stairs on 28th Street, she has created an intensely personal body of work, including paintings of slight female figures clad in elaborate armor from the waist up and naked below. Her only companions, most days, have been the voices of NPR.

What would it feel like to have hordes of tourists just 20 yards or so from her windows, watching her paint? Would she be like an animal in the zoo, she wondered?

The animal decided to look back. Instead of closing the shades, Cho played a painterly trick. She created a self-portrait that shows her peering out from behind a curtain, smiling and waving. And she put it in the window, facing the very crowds she was dreading.

When she looked out now to see how the passers-by reacted, she was delighted. They would point, and laugh, and take pictures. She would smile and wave at them for real.

Then she painted more of the pictures for her neighbors. The man across the street is shown lifting his blinds, looking like he might have just gotten out of the shower. The little girl downstairs puts her hands against the glass and smiles.

Cho is trying to find more neighbors who want their portraits to keep watch over the elevated urban park. She approaches people as they enter their buildings; she hands them flyers saying, “Let me paint YOU for your windows on the Highline!” Shoe designer Ruthie Davis, whose towering heels have been worn by celebrities including Lady Gaga and Beyoncé, is the latest Cho subject to survey the High Line. For Cho, it has ended up a relief, she finds, from the solitude of painting.

At her first solo show, which opens January 26 at Nancy Margolis Gallery, the High Line pictures will be part of the work she exhibits.

“At least five times a day I peek out,” Cho told me as we sat at her kitchen table, surrounded by her paintings. “And people are looking back at me. Now I don’t feel isolated anymore.”

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/art...er-window/961/

Clever ^

Today the HL Twitter feed has links to shots of the park under snow: http://twitter.com/highlinenyc