Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Garden of World Financial Center - Recent pictures

Easier than the Santa Claus thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    All the original 16 did not survive until 09/11. During the 90s, several were growing too fast; the upper trunks were narrow and in danger of snapping. Definitely some, but maybe all were replaced.
    There's a large yellow 'cherry-picker' truck that I think is permanently stored at the WFC. A few weeks ago, it was inside the Winter Garden, and i thought they were cleaning windows, or repairing leeks.

The other day I noticed steel cables disappearing into the tops of some of the palm trees. A zoom revealed...

Some of the palm trees are growing off center. Maybe seeking the light?

DBox

Larger image at the site.
    http://www.dbox.com/

please tell me that's not what thy are replacing that grand staircase with?

Random Personality

I am shocked that they are planning to get rid of the marble staircases, and the fact that those palm trees are actually real.

Looking at the picture above, it is hard to tell if the stairs would be replaced by that, since the escalators are currently located outside of the Winter Garden. This looks more like an extension (I hope).

Yea, this is the extension,. The view from which it is taken seems to be the same view that's at the top of the staircase. You can also tell by the driveway on the right. The Winter Garden now is tucked into the complex and does not extend out like the rendering shows.

Surprised there's not a glass ceiling, makes me believe Brookfield is planning additional office space or retail above it.

I believe they plan to bump much of the WFC's eastern frontage. Perfect opportunity for some elevated outdoor eating areas overlooking the memorial..

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4106/...3d45b5b6_b.jpg

In case you haven't seen this video yet:
    http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2010...train-station/
    Last edited by Derek2k3; September 23rd, 2010 at 09:52 AM.

Even if it's an extension, the staircase is probably still toast. Although, there is a slight chance that the community in BPC got their point across and persuaded them to integrate it into this extension.

I'm kind of disappointed about the retail additions, too. I rather like the little patches of grass that the WFC buildings have in front of them. It's like their own itty bitty lawns.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post

Yea, this is the extension,. The view from which it is taken seems to be the same view that's at the top of the staircase. You can also tell by the driveway on the right.

Seems this shows this expanded area will be at level with the existing exterior walkway, rather than at the level of the elevated viewing platform at the top of the marble staircase. Note the doorway at the left and people walking along an exterior expanse. The current construction in the photo shows that the escalators (and stairs?) will rise about 30' to the east of the existing frontage of the WFC (much more apparent in person). Not sure where those weird bird cage columns will be located.

Currently the exterior pathway along the east side of WFC is elevated, with the (former) grassy area sloping down towards West Street. It's a tricky spot for an extension as the area between the existing WFC buildings and West Street is narrow, and will still have to accommodate both the bike path and a pedestrian walkway. And, if I remember correctly, there used to be cut-ins from West Street along here for bus stops.

When I first saw this render I thought it was one of the the (re-worked) 2007 proposals for Hudson Yards and had nothing to do with the WTC / WFC . What I now recognize as the Calatrava Hub (in the distance, above) I'd mistaken for the awkward pavilion proposed by Brookfield / SOM / SANAA at HY:

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2007HY_Brookfield_SOM_SANAA_1.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	10988
    Last edited by lofter1; September 23rd, 2010 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Seems this shows this expanded area will be at level with the existing exterior walkway, rather than at the level of the elevated viewing platform at the top of the marble staircase.
    Isn't that what I described?

A quick attempt to try and make some sense of what that render indicates ...

RED: Extension / Escalators

ORANGE: Columns

BLUE: Exterior Pedestrian

GREEN: Bike Path

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100923_WFC_HubExt1a.jpg 
Views:	1683 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	10989

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Isn't that what I described?
    Aha, yep -- Sorry, I clearly need another cup of coffee . I misread this:

The view from which it is taken seems to be the same view that's at the top of the staircase

I'll try to stop by and take a look at the area with this rendering in mind.

The walkway pre-09/11 was about at the distance of the freight entrance walls. About 100 feet from the Winter Garden glass.

There was the walkway, a separator, the bikeway, another separator, a two-lane road for trucks and taxis, another separator, and the main roadway.

The tempy roadway now bends to about where the bikeway was. The permanent road will also bend, while the original road was straight. But that road had a very large median to accommodate the WTC garage portals. Remember the hairpin garage exit ramp at Vesey?

Hard to say if more or less room will be available.

Quote Originally Posted by HoveringCheesecake View Post
    Although, there is a slight chance that the community in BPC got their point across and persuaded them to integrate it into this extension.
    Major alteration. Brookfield doesn't have the final say; they have to convince BPCA to allow it.

I'm kind of disappointed about the retail additions, too.
    The grass is nice, but it always was a dead zone.

That stretch of West Street fronting onto WFC also had big vent structures in the median just to the west of the North Tower. (And a ~40' wall rising to the superblock / plaza level above.)

PHOTO of street level outside 1 WTC pre-9/11, looking across West Street.

Map showing the medians along this stretch:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	486pxwtcbuildingarrange.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	10992

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast