Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bay Ridge Photo Tour

Default Bay Ridge Photo Tour

Simply, this neighborhood works. There's variety in the streetscape. The housing is of many types and economic levels. Retail is abundant. It's more racially diverse than a decade ago. The unhealthy boundary at Sunset Park seems to be gone.

There are 85 photos. Just go here:
    http://www.pbase.com/zippythechimp/bay_ridge&page=1

I'll put in some commentary, but it's straightforward.

1: The view south at 3 Ave and Senator street. 3 Ave is one of the two all commercial/retail streets through the neighborhood. The Verrazano Narrows bridge cables can be seen over the horizon. The bridge is a constant presence.

2: Old wood frame house around the corner.

3: Rowhouses such as these on 67 St are located throughout the neighborhood, generally east of 3 Ave. Almost all have bowed or angled fronts.

4: This building is up the street at Ridge Blvd. The area
    has many apartment buildings, all of which are 6 or 7 storeys.

5: There are several of these dead-end streets between 68 and 69 Sts.

6:Houses across Colonial Road from Owls Head Park.

7, 8, 9: 27 acre Owls Head Park sits on the top of the ridge. The eastern side of the park has been undergoing extensive renovations. The brick and iron wall along Colonial Road was rebuilt, a skatepark and the playground in the photo were added. Dispite the fiscal woes, work continues this year – a new water park for children is almost complete.

10: View of lower Manhattan over the sewage treatment plant tanks. The plant isn’t that close – lens compression.

11: Small apartment building diagonally across from the park.

12. South from the park on Narrows Ave.

14: 69 St (or Bay Ridge Ave) is a major east-west street, going back to the days of the Staten Island ferry. Here, the small stores with apartments above were replaced by townhouses. I guess the roof feature was to emulate the preceeding photo.

15: Around the corner on Shore Road. I think this condo was part of the same development. The worst thing I saw in the entire neighborhood. The green contrasty A/C vents are a nice touch.

16: This was the location of the Brooklyn-Staten Island Ferry terminal, which closed one day after the bridge opened in 1964. The bikeway/esplanade begins to the left. The pier is a great spot to cool off. It’s always breezy and the views are great. A popular fishing spot.

18, 19: The Narrows Botanical Garden is at 70 st between Shore Rd and the Belt Parkway. It’s small (4 acres) but nice.

20-26: Views from the esplanade and the pedestrian bridges. If that pilot had any balls, he would have gone under the bridge, and I would have a great shot.

29: 4 Ave is the widest north-south street, and the main traffic street through the neighborhood. There are some retail areas, such as 86 st, schools and other institutions; but mostly residential – primarily apartment buildings.

30: Methodist Church. The gray material at the top of the tower is weathered plywood sheeting. Looks like the top was going to blow out.

32: Brick rowhouses on Bay Ridge Parkway, a major east-west street.

34, 35: West of 5 Ave the houses are more expensive, the brick replaced by limestone.

36, 37: Back on 4 Ave, another gem.

41: I’ve gone by here countless times, and never noticed this building – but it was always in a car.

44: West toward the bay, the neighborhood becomes more affluent. Houses sit above the streets on hills, and garages are common. The area around Fort Hamilton high school is the most affluent in Bay Ridge. In the 1890s the school land (1 x 2 blocks) was the site of the Crescent Athletic Club. Rich Manhattan families came here by ferry and built vacation homes. Narrows Ave is blocked by the high school, so there is very little traffic. The area has a suburban character, but 3 Ave is only 3 blocks away.

48: Shore Road follows the ridge line above Shore Road Park.

54, 55, 56: Just north of the high school is one of two surviving country homes. The Howard & Jesse Jones House. Locals call it the “gingerbread house.” Built in 1916, Its landmarked and privately owned. Arts and Crafts run amok.

57: Wealth does not mean good taste. Can you count the urn planters? An equal number on the other side. There is a bronze classical Greek statue in the center of that gazebo structure.

59: 86 St is a wide east-west street that is residential at the western end, but at 3 Ave to 7 Ave, is heavily retail. Sorry, no pictures – ran out of “film.”
    Many Indian and Muslim people seem to have moved here.

61: This site is across the street from the preceding photo. I’ve seen this in other places, like Neponsit. Someone buys up 3 or 4 plots, and puts up a look-at-me monstrosity.

62: South of 87 St, Shore Rd is all apartment buildings.

71: A big problem in the area is access to the great waterfront. In a two mile stretch, there are only 2 pedestrian bridges. Also, in some places, the ridge drops steeply to the edge of the highway, making that land unusable. As a consequence, while the esplanade is popular with runners and bikers, it is little used by most residents.

One of the Gowanus Expwy rebuild alternatives directs all highway traffic at Ft Hamilton onto Rt 278, west onto the bridge, or east to the Gowanus. The Belt Parkway would be turned into parkland.

Info at DOT:
    http://www.dot.state.ny.us/reg/r11/g...ernatives.html

Sorry the bridge isn't looking its best - 40 year scheduled maintenance. Ironic how the neighborhood fought the bridge - there were stories that it would destroy TV reception for all of southern Brooklyn. Now it's a friendly icon.

Forum Veteran

Great shots. Amazing housing stock - super varied. I was around here Fri. night. 3rd ave was really very nice... it was jumpin'. It gets too little respect for what it seemed to offer.

Forum Veteran

Thank you very much. I greatly enjoyed that.. some, if not most of those shots are beautiful.

By the way, I like the building in #15. It looks good from the Belt Parkway. The blank side isn't much, but hey.

Are there affordable (for a student) areas of Bay Ridge, and how good is subway service there?

Forum Veteran

I'm pretty sure there are affordable areas, as a whole the area is less expensive than the Brooklyn Heights vicinity and there should be some reasonable grabs. I don't think the F is too far away (maybe a short bus ride) and the W goes by there, I think. Not sure though.

Interesting neighborhood and photos.

There are longer suspension bridges now, but none exudes power the way this one does. It looks a bit stiff but is still a majestic span.

Your site is a treasure-trove, Zippy.

Very nice, I especially like the image at 94th Street with Verrazano Bridge and "Do Not Enter" sign.

Do you like the great composition, or could it be THIS?

Here's another:

Forum Veteran

Ahh, Brooklyn Heights. Was it really only 16 years ago that Tom Wolfe was writing off both it and Park Slope as "little Hong Kongs"?

Forum Veteran

That's DUMBO, not Bk Heights.

Forum Veteran

I thought DUMBO was a part of Brooklyn Heights. Sorry, my mistake.

Forum Veteran

Well, sort of. Sorry for snapping.

Now back to the wonderful Bay Ridge..

Forum Veteran

You snapped? I didn't notice, much less take offense.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    Do you like the great composition, or could it be THIS?
    I like the photo even without the sign, but you can't go wrong with having the sign in the picture :wink:

Another excellent photo tour. Love those Art Deco apartment buildings and the Boston-like bow-fronted row houses. I've never really associated Brooklyn with Art Deco. Thanks Zippy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast