Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Greenways and Waterfront Development

^ That is great! I love to hear news about new parks in the city.

I hope this continues, we could have one of the most beautiful waterfronts and harbors in the world.

Have you seen Sydney's? From a natural perspctive, it is really something believable. But NY has a better skyline.

Default Manhattanville Piers

A long string of small yellow floats has recently appeared on the waterfront near the construction site of the new Harlem Piers project.

The floats are in the same general location of the piers - as indicated on the design drawing - for the proposed project. My connect-the-dots theory is that they have been placed there to indicate the spots where the new pier supports are to be placed.

http://www.weact.org/hotr/planning_document.html
    Last edited by infoshare; June 11th, 2006 at 01:23 PM.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

For $2.4 Million, 7 Racing Yachts Get Parking Spot

By PATRICK McGEEHAN
    Published: April 22, 2006

The Kiwis are coming, and so are the Dutchmen and the Brazilians. They are coming by sea in sleek racing yachts and they are going to need what so many people in Manhattan covet — a place to park.

To make way for them, workers are dredging the North Cove Marina in Battery Park City as fast as they can. When they started last Saturday, the water in the marina was less than six feet deep in some places. But the seven boats, which are taking part in a round-the-world race whose next leg ends at the Statue of Liberty, need the water to be at least 14 feet deep.

So the agency that runs Battery Park City in Lower Manhattan decided to spend $2.44 million to give the yachts a proper place to dock when they arrive in early May.

That is how much a New Jersey-based dredging outfit, Donjon Marine Company, is being paid by the Battery Park City Authority to remove about 25,000 cubic yards of silt from the bottom of the basin by May 1. With a deadline looming, the authority's directors convened a special meeting three weeks ago. Although some directors wondered aloud why the authority was paying so much to prepare for an event that would benefit so few, they unanimously approved the rushed contract, an authority spokesman confirmed.

The authority, a state corporation that collects rent and other payments from the owners of residential and office buildings in Battery Park City, spent $37.2 million last year to manage the entire 92-acre development.

"We're certainly paying a premium to have it done quickly," said James Cavanaugh, the president of the authority, which owns the marina. "It's not cheap to move dirt, especially when it's underwater."

But, he added, "They're going around the world; we don't want them to run aground in North Cove."

Still, the notion that a state agency would invest a significant amount of money toward an elite event with a limited following has puzzled some residents. And the racers will not have a chance to do much spending in New York because they will be here only two days.

Edward Hersey, a father of two who has lived in Battery Park City for 12 years, said he would rather see the authority spend its money on parks than yachts. "There needs to be more open, public green spaces," he said.

The yachts are expected in New York Harbor on May 8 or 9, after a short leg of the race, from Annapolis, Md. The Volvo Ocean Race is a sort of roving international carnival of sailors from a variety of ports and support teams of more than 500 people.

In five months, the boats, which are 70 feet long with masts 100 feet tall, have sailed 25,000 nautical miles in an eastward loop from Spain to South Africa to Australia to Brazil to Maryland.

The latest leg ended Tuesday, with ABN Amro One, whose skipper is from New Zealand, holding the lead. Pirates of the Caribbean, a boat inspired by the movie that has an American skipper, Paul Cayard, and a crew that includes Kiwis, Australians and a Dutchman, is in a tight battle for second place.

After racing 400 nautical miles up the East Coast to New York, the boats will dock for two days then turn around and head from Manhattan to Portsmouth, England.

"The race restart should be really cool and a great symbol for Lower Manhattan," said Michael Fortenbaugh, commodore of the marina, who led the campaign to have the race go there. "This is the first time a race of this magnitude has been attracted to New York City."

Mr. Fortenbaugh's company, North Cove Marina Management, leased the marina from the Battery Park City Authority a year ago. Dennis Conner, who has won the America's Cup four times, is one of Mr. Fortenbaugh's partners.

All of the drama on the high seas was of little interest to Thomas D. Witte, executive vice president of Donjon. His priority was getting the dredging done on what he called "about the tightest schedule we've ever seen."

From 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. every day, a crew of five men operates the dredge, which scoops the muck in buckets wrapped in rubber and dumps it onto scows. Other Donjon workers operate tugboats that push the loaded scows up the river, where the silt is unloaded and trucked to landfills, Mr. Witte said. He said the silt was mixed with cement to form a hard material that is used to cap the landfills.

The men worked all day on Easter and their goal is to increase the depth of the water in the basin to at least 16 feet, he said.

"Unfortunately, the life of a dredger is what the life of a dredger is," Mr. Witte said. "I've never owned a yacht. I'm all blue-collar vessels."

The late start on the dredging work was causing no worries for the race organizers, said a race spokesman, Cameron Kelleher. "It's not unusual for us to be a couple of days away from a stopover and the last few bits of dredging still to be done," Mr. Kelleher said by phone from Baltimore. "In Brazil, they were dredging up to two days before we arrived."

Warned that public-works projects are rarely completed on time in New York City, Mr. Kelleher laughed and said, "You should try Spain."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/22/ny.../22yachts.html

Default Manhattanville Piers, Reef Domes

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare
    A long string of small yellow floats has recently appeared on the waterfront near the construction site of the new Harlem Piers project.
    Excerpt from NY Times:
    By TIMOTHY WILLIAMS
    Published: May 12, 2006

After making its way through the legislative approval process, however, the project was delayed for about a year by the Army Corps of Engineers out of concern that the new piers would disrupt fish spawning and migration routes. As a compromise, 50 "reef domes" — concrete structures five feet in diameter and four feet high with holes cut out to allow fish to swim in and out — will be placed at the bottom of the river near the piers.

reef dome
    Last edited by infoshare; June 11th, 2006 at 02:37 PM.

Default Manhattanville Piers

Recently the construction crews have begun placing the reef domes into the Hudson River. My guess is that the 'yellow floats' art there to indicate the place to put the reef domes. Let the spawning begin!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	1957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	1958   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	1959  
    Last edited by infoshare; June 11th, 2006 at 03:05 PM.

And if they don't work, they'll make dandy septic tanks.

The Dude Abides

N.Y.C.'s hidden beach oases

Secret finds something to sea

BY JEGO ARMSTRONG, ELIZABETH HAYS and TANYANIKA SAMUELS
    DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Call them the secret beaches of New York.
    Hidden in the nooks and crannies along the city's riverbanks lie dozens of small, sandy oases.

But don't grab the beach towels just yet. Most of the estimated 60 to 70 "beaches" in the five boroughs and New Jersey are isolated, neglected and debris-strewn. Still, some nature enthusiasts are optimistic.

"Right now ... these beaches are not great sunbathing options," said Rob Buchanan of New York Harbor Beaches. "But they could become that if people start to take care of them."

Buchanan, 47, is among a group of hikers and boaters who spent the last year combing the East, Hudson and Harlem river shorelines.

Not everyone is pleased with the idea of opening up the small beaches. Officials at Community Board 1 in downtown Manhattan, for example, downplayed the area under the Brooklyn Bridge for fear of increased drownings.

But John Lipscomb, patrol boat captain for the nonprofit group Riverkeepers, sees people fishing, crabbing and wading along the shoreline around the city all the time.

"People want to use the water," he said, adding that pollution remains a major problem. "We need to get to a point where mothers can take their children there to play and build sandcastles. We're on our way, but we're not quite there yet."

Not all the beaches lie on public land, and many are not easily accessible. They're tucked under bridges, below city parks and on rocky strips in neighborhoods like DUMBO, Astoria, Battery Park and the South Bronx.

In Red Hook, Brooklyn, only the locals seems to know about the pocket-sized sand and gravel beach off Valentino Pier.

On some days the tides there wash up garbage, making the water less appealing, but when the tides are right, the spot is "breathtaking," said resident Elizabeth Freund.

"It feels like a little vacation before I start my workday," she said.

In lower Manhattan, the clean, golden sand beach under the Brooklyn Bridge near the South Street Seaport draws the occasional beachcomber.

Francisco Morales, 27, of the upper West Side, sometimes goes there with his girlfriend. "It's nice here, but people do look at us funny," he said.

And not everyone is eager to share their finds with the rest of the city. At Astoria Park beach in Queens, the well-manicured stretch of sand offers a boathouse and views of the Triborough Bridge. Denny Core, a 50-year-old retiree who has been going there for the past 20 years, is hoping it remains low-key.

"This is my favorite spot," he said. "And I like it just the way it is."

Look for Rob Buchanan's secret beach finds on the Web at www.newyorkharborbeaches.org

Originally published on June 19, 2006

Copyright 2006 Daily News

Since I can't find the thread on Hudson River Park, or the Meier buildings (the search function seems useless to me, I wish I could just search thread titles) I am posting these here.

Wow, variations on a theme. Don't know which is most beautiful.

They're like a string of phrases in a piece by Philip Glass; each variation is ever so slightly altered.

I like your penchant for foreground flowers.

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    I wish I could just search thread titles
    Oh, but you can search thread titles! Just go to the advanced search, and under keyword, select "Search Titles Only." Also, if you're looking for something specific, select the Boolean option. I searched for "Meier" and got only 5 results. Here are the links to his Hudson River Projects:

165 Charles Street

Perry West

Thanks, that will be very useful to know!

Bringing it back home ...

How green will Tribeca’s park be, how long was the wait?

Rendering of Pier 25 design

DOWNTOWN EXPRESS
    By Josh Rogers
    July 20, 2006

The dirt Gov. George Pataki and other officials shoveled last week on Pier 25 was just a prop to symbolize construction of the Hudson River Park’s Tribeca section, but after years of delays, real work is actually underway.

A few days later, as cyclists and joggers went by the pier and would-be trapeze artists practiced in the air, few visitors to the temporary parts of the park knew much about the permanent plan that includes rebuilding piers, building a playing field, planting trees and adding a nature area.

“I have lived here for 12 years and I have seen so many plans revised 100 times,” said a 36-year-old Battery Park City resident, who declined to give her name. “I don’t believe anything until I see it — ground zero is the perfect example.”

She hoped the Tribeca part of the park ends up looking something like the completed Village section to the north, although a few others stopped for interviews did not want to see a repeat of the manicured lawns.

“Trees are good — as long as they don’t make it too chi-chi,” said Paul Rubin, a Tribeca writer who returned to the neighborhood four years ago after moving out west in 1970. He was out walking Hubert, his large and amorous Alaskan malamute, and hoped to be able to let the dog run free on the piers (a dog run is planned nearby, but leashes will be required for the rest of the park).

The Tribeca section is now scheduled to open in 2009 and Pataki said there will be no more delays. “It’s going to be [done on time],” he told Downtown Express. “It’ll be open for 100 years. People had no access to the water for longer than that.”

He told the audience at the July 6 ceremony that his favorite parts of the plan are the beach volleyball courts and kayak boathouse, which were on Piers 25 and 26 before they were closed at the end of last year for construction. “I first got to know my wife pretty well playing volleyball on the sand in Long Island,” said the governor, who has also kayaked down the Hudson to Tribeca.

The piers are gradually decaying and would have had to have been closed eventually.

Downtown Express photo by Lorenzo Ciniglio
    Above, Stefan Pryor, left, Lower Manhattan Development Corporation president,
    Kevin Rampe, L.M.D.C. chairperson, Dep. Mayor Dan Doctoroff, and Gov. Pataki
    on the pier last Thursday to celebrate the start of construction of the
    Hudson River Park’s Tribeca section, funded by the L.M.D.C.

Pataki has spoken enthusiastically about the Hudson River Park for most of his administration, although he has never been able to secure all of the money needed to build it. After the Sept. 11 attacks, he set up the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, which became responsible for disbursing $2.8 billion in federal funds to help Downtown rebuild. In November 2004, the governor said the L.M.D.C. would provide the money needed to build the $70 million Tribeca section, but by that time he had given the mayor 50 percent control of the corporation and the city and state were negotiating over how to spend the remaining $800 million.

Dep. Mayor Daniel Doctoroff joked about the delay at last week’s ceremony on Pier 25. “We all knew all along the money was in the bag — we just didn’t want to tell you too soon,” said Doctoroff, who is also vice chairperson of the Hudson River Park Trust, the state-city authority building the park.

The standoff is likely to mean most of the pile work rebuilding the piers will be pushed back by more than two years after the date when Pataki said the money was coming. The Trust can only work in the water in warmer weather and must stop by Oct. 31 under its permit.

“The majority of the pile work will be done next season, said Marc Boddewyn, the Trust’s vice president of design and construction. The Trust closed the Tribeca piers at the end of last year, evicted the historic Yankee ferry from the park, and began preliminary work clearing structures like the Downtown Boathouse, River Project and mini-golf course. They suspended work a few months ago waiting for the U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development to sign off on the L.M.D.C. grant.

Boddewyn said work cutting the pier decks began about two weeks ago and they should be removed by the end of August. The Trust is talking to contractors about the pile work for Piers 25 and 26 and has not decided how much work it wants to do this season.

He said the goal is to open as much of the section as soon as possible and the area from Laight St. to just north of Tribeca at Pier 40 possibly could open by fall 2007. There will be two basketball courts, the existing tennis courts and a nature walk with beach grass and cedars that Boddewyn assured would not be chi-chi.

“This will be different than the Village section,” he said. “It will have less lawn and it’ll be more raw — wonderful.”

Pier 25, which was used to transport the rubble collected at the World Trade Center site, will be extended to 1,000 feet, several hundred feet longer than it had been in recent years. There will be an artificial turf field and a new playground. A mooring field for boats, a more elaborate mini-golf course and a snack bar will return. Pier 26 will have a boathouse, a center to study marine life — and a restaurant. In the upland area closer to the bikeway/walkway, there will also be a skateboard park.

Groups like Manhattan Youth, the Downtown Boathouse and River Project, which ran many of the piers’ programs, have said they want to return when the piers reopen. Chris Martin, the Trust’s spokesperson, said the operators would be selected under a formal request for proposal process and all will be picked well after the new year — probably about seven months before a specific operation will be ready to go.

Veterans of the battles to build a waterfront park were hopeful last week about the park’s Tribeca section. Robert Trentlyon, appointed nearly two decades ago to the West Side Task Force by Gov. Mario Cuomo, said things should proceed smoothly now because it won’t be easy to stop for economic downturns.

“I think so,” he said. “I feel very confident there is a lot of momentum. Politically, [the park] is so used, no one will dare stop in the middle.”

© 2006 Community Media, LLC

Forum Veteran

NY Sun

In the Vanguard Of a Sea Change

The new IAC HQ building on the West Side Highway between 18th and 19th streets in Chelsea is among the many changes taking place in the area.

Architecture

By JAMES GARDNER - Special to the Sun
    August 7, 2006

Many of the world's great cities, like Venice, Italy; Paris; and Buenos Aires, Argentina, are now essentially complete. They have swelled to their foreordained limits and been filled with most of the building stock they'll ever need. But even though New York has existed for nearly four centuries, it is still very much a work in progress: Not only are its specific streetscapes in constant flux, but the grand strategy of the entire city, the very role and function it should serve, is undergoing a revolution from an industrial to a post-industrial state. This sea change can be seen throughout the world, but New York is in the vanguard, exactly as it was in the rise of the modern city a century ago.

If you want material proof of this revolution, walk along the far West Side of Manhattan Island, from the Chelsea Piers at 23rd Street down through the West Village. Many changes have taken place in the past decade or so, with more on the way. In addition to the Chelsea Piers, perhaps the earliest harbinger of this change, are the art galleries of Chelsea, the Chelsea Art Museum at 22nd Street, the three residential towers designed over the past five years by Richard Meier at Perry and Charles streets, the Hudson River Park that will one day connect the Battery to Riverside Park, and a new office tower designed by Frank Gehry at Twelfth Avenue and 18th Street.

For much of its earlier history, of course, New York was coterminous with Manhattan Island at the center of New York Harbor. As such, it was a maritime entity: The water at its circumference was spiritually at its center. Since World War II, however, a variety of social and technological forces, from cars and airplanes to the rise of containers in moving cargo, exploded the maritime rationale for New York City until, by the 1970s, it had ceased to exist. As the city's magnetic charge, so to speak, flipped from the circumference to the center, Manhattan, which had once been its sailors and longshoremen, its piers and masts and the Fulton Fish Market, became Central Park, Fifth Avenue, and Times Square.

Once maritime Manhattan had passed away, the city's circumference very quickly became a grimy no man's land. No longer a destination, it assumed all those functional necessities that were deemed too ugly, too déclassé, to exist anywhere near the exalted center of the island. Garages and car repairs, power stations and sanitation hubs all accumulated around the edges like barnacles clinging to the timbers of a rotting ship.

But over the past 10 or so years, a new urbanistic process has emerged, one that really picked up speed around 2000. First world cities, once essential organs of manufacture and commerce, have lost their sense of functional necessity: With exponential improvements in communications and transportation, it is no longer imperative that one be physically present in a city, as had once been the case. In response to their vanishing functionalism, certain urban centers, and none more than Manhattan, have increasingly reinvented themselves as zones of culture and recreation: The loading docks of Chelsea have become art galleries; the abattoirs of the Meatpacking District are now upscale restaurants, and the waterfront itself, once essential to the city's economic commerce, has become a park.

In one of the ironies of urban history, the disappearance of New York's functionalism has only increased the city's drawing power. But the new inhabitants of the far West Side, and of New York City in general, are very different from the old. While residential Manhattan has historically been limited to a relatively few desirable zones, now the urge to live here is so great that, henceforth, no parcel of the island will ever again appear unworthy of residential development. Even the once off-limits zone of infrastructure that is the far West Side has become the object of such longing among the latest generation of home-makers, that even Martha Stewart, who can live anywhere she wants, has bought one of the apartments in Richard Meier's Perry Street Towers.

This reinvention of the far West Side has coincided with the emergence of a new phase of taste among the younger generation, an appreciation of hulking, superannuated infrastructure, no longer as a functional necessity, but as a compelling, and quintessentially urban, backdrop. Just as the 18th century discovered the natural sublime, so today many people find a kind of man-made sublimity in the hulks of a city's decaying infrastructure. The West Side of Manhattan, with its stumps of rotting piers, its salt-bitten iron-works collapsing into the Hudson, its massive smokestacks that have emitted no smoke in decades, above all such landmarks as the High Line, suggests to the latest generation a virile and purposive past that, even as it is being transcended, is scrupulously preserved.

For this reason, the development of Twelfth Avenue below 23rd Street does not and will not resemble the usual developments that you see in New York. Most people don't realize that Park Avenue rises over the tracks leading north from Grand Central. This fact was vigorously suppressed by the developers of the past 100 years. On the Far West Side, however, the train tracks and the smokestacks are the area's main selling points. In the process, the grunge aesthetic has migrated from torn jeans and a three-day growth of beard to architecture and urban planning, as a whole new generation of New Yorkers has taken to slumming on the far West Side.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast