Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Newtown Creek

Default Newtown Creek Cruise September 14, 2008

The Newtown Creek Tour is almost sold out. If you would like to join us please do not hesitate to buy a ticket.

The handout includes copies of the 1932 Port Authority waterfront maps. Our narration covers historical aspects of the waterway. Environmental speakers discuss present-day pollution and solutions. Possible sightings could include tugs and tankers. Two drawbridges will open for us.

http://workingharbor.com/special%20t...#newtown_creek

http://www.newtowncreekalliance.org/

Dolphin spotted in Brooklyn's polluted Newtown Creek

BY Erin Durkin

March 4th, 2010

One of two dolphins spotted in the East River off of the Brooklyn Navy Yard.

A dolphin was spotted Wednesday in Brooklyn's notoriously polluted Newtown Creek.

"We were just amazed," said Roy Arezzo, one of two teachers from the Urban Assembly New York Harbor School who saw the 7-foot dolphin swimming deeper into the filthy water.

"We just stood there in awe - shouting, telling it to go back the other way. ... This is a once-in-a-lifetime sighting."

The creature may have come upstream from a spot near the Brooklyn Navy Yard where fireboat captain Bill Hannan spotted two dolphins Tuesday.

"It's heartbreaking to see such a beautiful creature in such terribly polluted water," said John Lipscomb, a patrol boat captain for environmental group Riverkeeper, who said the dolphin was likely sick and disoriented.

"We hope it finds its way back to sea," he said.

Rob DiGiovanni, director of the Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research and Preservation, said the group would monitor sightings of the dolphin and could mount a rescue mission if there were signs it's in distress.

Newtown Creek Up Close

"Former Morgan Oil Terminals Corporation, 200 Morgan Avenue, East Williamsburg, Brooklyn, looking west"

"Remains of the former Pepsi-Cola bottling plant, 46-00 Fifth Street, Long Island City, Queens, looking west"

"End of Dutch Kills from Twenty-ninth Street, Sunnyside, Queens, looking west"

Anthony Hamboussi just put out a book of pictures of Newtown Creek, the industrial waterway between Brooklyn and Queens. We asked him a few questions about the creek, his experience getting arrested while photographing there, and about his approach to picture-taking.

Most of our readers know that Newtown Creek is the polluted tributary of the East River that separates Brooklyn from Queens. What else can you tell us about it?
    Yes, of course it is extremely polluted and the book definitely shows this. Yet the book deals with a myriad of topics. What we see in the “Newtown Creek” is a microcosm of what happens to the land use in cities during their transformation from a major hub of industrial activity to a secondary but necessary series of spaces, which function and serve the city hidden from our view. One of the effects of this transformation is what the industry left behind, pollution, but it also left a rich and intriguing history for us to unravel, understand and learn from.

What drew you to spend five years photographing in and around the Creek? When I began the project I did not place a time frame on how long the work would take to produce. In 2002 I sent a proposal to the New York State Council on the Arts for funding. I proposed to systematically document the built environment that surrounds the Creek during a time of rapid real estate development in NYC. I realized that the urban fabric of the city would change dramatically with gentrification getting closer to this area. At that time I called the project the Newtown Creek Archive Project.

The State awarded me the funds, which helped me continue photographing along with researching. I found the history of this industrial district to be quite intriguing and became obsessed with its discovery. More importantly, I was fascinated by it’s current use and the politics and negotiation of space. All these factors are what kept me there until I felt the Archive was through. The complete visual archive contains hundreds of images not printed in the book but represents a definitive visual study of the landscape during this time.

One of the issues we're most interested in here at Gothamist is the gentrification of previously industrial spaces in the city, especially the waterfront areas. How has Newtown Creek changed since you began working there? The photographs in the book are arranged chronologically and they are a witness to the changes that I experienced along the Creek. One of the major changes was the water front park built as part of the percent-for-art element of the Water Pollution Control Plant upgrade in Greenpoint (you can see the park under construction on the book’s cover). Before the park opened there had been no programmed public access points along the Newtown Creek. Around 2003-4 NY began a bid for the 2012 Olympics and the western tip of Hunters Point was a proposed site for the Olympic Village. They had famous architects making proposals through competitions. During that time the area was completely transformed and all the old industrial buildings were knocked down and empty lots were now ready for development. Whether NY won the bid or not (which it didn’t) the area was now ready for developing and real estate investment. And since, it has been growing rapidly along the western waterfront. Yet the further you go east along the creek the slower things change, but it’s all changed non-the-less.

There's been a lot of news recently about the superfunding of the Gowanus Canal in Brooklyn, but Newtown Creek is arguably larger and even more polluted. Do you think it'll ever get cleaned up? I’m not sure. But for me it has never been about whether the creek is cleaned up or not but about understanding the conditions on which to move forward. I felt most of the vernacular architecture that existed along the creek had the possibilities of reuse and have value as a point of reference for history.

During this project you faced constant hassling from the police for shooting industrial buildings around Creek, lost your press credentials, and even got arrested while shooting outside The Keyspan Energy Facility. You're of Egyptian extraction- do you think that had anything to do with it? Of course. Most people were afraid of another attack of terrorism. On the one hand there was a lot of ignorance. The fact that photography had become “illegal” to certain degree made it all the more necessary for me to continue photographing in public space which I deemed as my right. The act of photographing I felt took on the element of being a political act. The suspicions I encountered from police, security and those who worked and lived along the creek was an impetus' for me to continue my project. I had been doing the sort of opposite of what most of these people were assuming. My intent had more to do with the love I had for the place as well as its preservation. I was born in Bushwick and had an intimate knowledge of the surrounding areas. But of course I was racially profiled and with the climate of paranoia people didn’t want to try and understand my intention but everyone wanted to be a hero.

Tell us a little bit about your process- you filmed many of these shots from a platform you constructed on top of your van. Why? The platform came about as I began photographing and realized that there was no visual or physical access to the waterway. Only a few businesses that lined the creek use the waterway, to ship waste or to deliver petroleum, otherwise it is used as a continuing dumping ground. The only way to see the waterway is to raise your self above the fencing and walls built for keeping you at a distance from the creek. The height also helps when rendering the proper proportions and prospective of most structures as well as adding a foreground element in my compositions to illustrate the inaccessibility to the waterfront. To physically gain access to the waterway I had to trespass onto to abandon sites or sites under construction, which were plentiful. I wanted the work to have a sense of how closed off the space is to the general public. That was my main reason for not approaching any of the businesses for permission to gain access through their properties. It felt like a small suburban community where if you were not part of the area you would immediately be spotted. Then I was usually asked what I was doing there and why.

And what kind of camera did you use? I work with a large format Camera on a tripod. This camera uses a 4”x5” inch sheet of film. I work with this camera because it can render a scene with exceptional detail and has the ability to both change the plane of focus and adjust the perspective. There are also a series of images in the book that were made from a boat. In that case I used a 6x7 cm medium format film camera hand held.

What time of day did you do most of your work? My main concern was with the quality of light as well as the activity going on around the area. I avoided photographing during the peak business hours. I usually found myself there during weekends, holidays and off-hours (usually after 4pm on weekdays when most work ceased for the day). These were the least active moments that eliminated most human presence from the images. I wanted to create a type of image that would engage the viewer. Both the quality of light and the inactivity of the space give the viewer a chance to see the space in a more introspective way (the place itself and not the drama unfolding in the space). The deceptive banality of the spaces forces the viewer to look more closely at the image and hopefully ask themselves what they are looking at.

What are some of your other favorite areas of New York to shoot in? I’ve photographed mostly in Brooklyn and Queens. Last summer I worked with a non-profit organization called the Center for Urban Pedagogy. Our collaboration produced a wonderful book called “What is Affordable Housing?” NYC Edition. This project took me to all five boroughs and was a pleasant surprise for me. I began rediscovering the city’s beauty at its furthest reaches.

What are you working on next? Currently I’m working on a book about similar urban phenomenon in Paris and in the past year I’ve begun to work in the city of Cairo.

http://gothamist.com/2010/03/30/anth...otographer.php

http://www.brownstoner.com/brownston...bell_ne_11.php

Between Queens and Brooklyn, an Oil Spill’s Legacy

By MIREYA NAVARRO

The salt marshes are long gone from Newtown Creek, and so are most of the birds and fish. Now, this waterway straddling Brooklyn and Queens is dotted by bulkheads and containment booms meant to keep oil away from the shoreline while underground pumps work around the clock removing petroleum from adjacent land.

Decades in the making and confined to a corner of industrial New York, the oil spills in and along Newtown Creek do not have the drama of disasters like the current one in the Gulf of Mexico and the 1989 Exxon Valdez spill in Alaska.

But long before the gulf crisis riveted the nation, more than a century of unchecked operations and storage by refineries that lined the four-mile-long creek fouled its waters and seeped through 55 acres of land in the vicinity.

Estimated at 17 million to 30 million gallons — smaller than the ballpark estimate of up to 200 million gallons released by the Deepwater Horizon well but outstripping the 11 million that poured from the Exxon Valdez — the combined spills along Newtown Creek have obliterated wildlife, polluted an aquifer, hindered economic development and set off health scares among those who live and work nearby.

“The impact is more subtle than in the gulf,” said Phillip Musegaas, a lawyer with Riverkeeper, an environmental group that sued Exxon Mobil in 2004 for its role in the contamination. “The spill is unseen, and it’s in an area that was industrialized and already polluted. But the waterway is severely stressed, and it’s not a functioning ecosystem anymore.”

Now, after a history of neglect and lawsuits against oil companies like BP and Exxon Mobil over the extent and pace of cleanup efforts, local residents say they have cause for hope: The federal government is proposing to designate the creek a toxic Superfund site, mandating a rigorous cleanup of the water and sediment.

Some residents say the gulf spill is helping to sensitize New Yorkers as never before to the responsibilities borne by oil companies and the risks that people run in living cheek by jowl with toxic contaminants.

“We all joke that we’re going to end up with big lumps in our throat so we can afford our rents,” said Nate Zubal, 29, an interior designer in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, where many residences and businesses sit atop a layer of spilled fuel oils. “A cleanup is pretty important with so many people living so close.”

The Bloomberg administration supports the Superfund designation for the creek, although it lobbied hard against one for the Gowanus Canal, in Brooklyn, out of fear that it could derail lucrative development projects. (The Environmental Protection Agency prevailed and gave the Gowanus Superfund status in March.)

While the E.P.A. calls Newtown Creek one of the nation’s most heavily polluted waterways, oil is hardly the only problem. In samples of the sediment and surface water, the agency has also found sewage from system overflows, as well as pesticides, metals and PCBs from decades of industrial activity.

Officials say that Superfund designation for the creek could come as early as September, opening the way for a thorough federal assessment of the extent of the contamination and the cost and duration of a cleanup.

“The Superfund designation means that this water body will be evaluated in its entirety, which has never happened to date,” said Angela Carpenter, a branch chief in New York with the E.P.A., which runs the Superfund program.

State officials say the Superfund cleanup could last more than a decade.
    Under the program, the E.P.A. requires the parties responsible for contaminating the site to pay to reverse the damage. BP, Exxon Mobil and Chevron are expected to be among the parties enlisted.

The cleanup would deal only with the water and sediment in Newtown Creek, not the contamination underneath the adjacent land in Greenpoint (the Superfund program excludes strictly petroleum cleanups). But environmental and community groups say the designation will help prevent oil from leaching into the water from the land as it has in the past.

“Everyone is excited about getting the job done,” said Katie Schmid, director of the Newtown Creek Alliance, an advocacy group. “You need federal oversight of the whole project to ensure effective remediation.”

While the creek itself awaits a cleanup, oil companies are continuing to recover oil from their property in Greenpoint, an effort that began over two decades ago after the Coast Guard first spotted evidence of oil seepage into the creek in 1978. Since 1990, Exxon Mobil, BP and Chevron have removed about 11.1 million gallons of spilled oil, state officials say.

The pace has been too slow for Greenpoint residents, environmental groups and the New York state attorney general’s office, which all have lawsuits pending against some or all of the companies for the pollution. (Negotiations are under way to settle suits filed by the state and Riverkeeper against Exxon Mobil.)

BP’s role was mostly inherited: Its petroleum storage terminal in Greenpoint was once home to a Mobil refinery whose operations released about five million gallons into the ground, state environmental officials say. In 1969, BP’s predecessor, the Amoco Oil Company, bought the 10-acre property. It began a cleanup in 1981 under an agreement with the city, and state officials say about two million gallons now remain to be recovered under the BP property.

The state says that BP is not meeting its schedule for collecting oil from the ground and asked that the company increase its current lineup of nine extraction wells.
    Marti D. Powers, a spokeswoman for BP, said the company is adding four wells to meet state requirements, but it is fighting a lawsuit by residents. “The plaintiffs have to date not identified any spills by BP that have impacted them,” she said.

The bulk of the overall cleanup work, from the collection of oil to the treatment of contaminated groundwater before it is released into Newtown Creek, has rather fallen to Exxon Mobil.

As the main inheritor of Standard Oil, which had dozens of refineries along the creek by the end of the 19th century, Exxon Mobil owns most of the contaminated land and is responsible for an oil plume that extends under about 300 homes in a residential area of Greenpoint.

Carolina Asirifi, a spokeswoman for Exxon Mobil, said the company’s 20 operating recovery wells were pumping as fast as was safely possible — currently at a rate of about 2,000 gallons of oil and a million gallons of groundwater a day.

“Exxon Mobil has been working extremely hard,” she said. “We’ve made significant progress.”

Residents fear that toxic gases will penetrate their homes from below. A state Department of Environmental Conservation study in 2006 found no oil-related vapors in samples of indoor air, although a comprehensive study of the health consequences of the spills has yet to be carried out.

As the community awaits the Superfund decision and more detailed analysis, the proposed designation has spawned a kind of creek boosterism.

“We’re turning the corner,” said Ted Gruber, chairman of the Long Island City Community Boathouse, whose members often venture into Newtown Creek in canoes. “People like us are paddling in greater numbers. People are beginning to care.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/04/sc...er=rss&emc=rss

U.S. Cleanup Is Set for Newtown Creek, Long Polluted by Industry

By MIREYA NAVARRO

The Environmental Protection Agency has designated Newtown Creek, between Brooklyn and Queens, a Superfund site, promising a thorough environmental cleanup of a long-neglected waterway that was once one of the busiest hubs of industrial activity in the city.

The Superfund designation, which was announced on Monday by the agency’s regional administrator in New York, Judith Enck, means that the E.P.A. will conduct a comprehensive evaluation of the severely polluted creek to determine what kind of cleanup is needed and to identify continuing sources of pollution. Community advocates, environmental groups and members of Congress had long sought the designation out of concern about the extent of contamination and its possible danger to residents.

The creek, about four miles long, is now the second active Superfund site in the city. The Gowanus Canal in Brooklyn, another waterway suffering the consequences of its industrial past, was placed in March on the Superfund’s National Priorities List, a designation reserved for the worst-contaminated sites in the nation.

Six other Superfund sites across the country were also chosen on Monday, including a section of the Black River in Jefferson County, N.Y., that was contaminated with P.C.B.’s and other chemicals. P.C.B.’s, or polychlorinated biphenyls, can cause cancer and affect the immune, reproductive, nervous and endocrine systems, according to the E.P.A.

“Newtown Creek is a key urban waterway, which provides recreational and economic resources to many communities,” Ms. Enck said in a written statement. “Throughout the investigation and cleanup, we will work closely with the communities along the creek to achieve a revitalization of this heavily contaminated urban waterway.”

Water samples from Newtown Creek, a branch of the East River and part of the New York-New Jersey Harbor Estuary, have revealed the presence of pesticides, heavy metals, P.C.B.’s, volatile organic compounds and other contaminants. Despite the continuing pollution problems, the agency noted, residents use the creek for recreation like kayaking and fishing, and some eat the fish they catch.

The creek’s polluted condition also reflects countless oil spills from the dozens of refineries and fuel storage centers that have operated along its banks since the 19th century.

Those spills — estimated to total 17 million to 30 million gallons, as much as three times the amount dumped off the Alaska coast by the Exxon Valdez in 1989 — have polluted an aquifer and hindered economic development as they made their way into both the creek and surrounding neighborhoods.

The Superfund cleanup will address only the water and sediment in the creek, not the contamination beneath the adjacent land in the Greenpoint section of Brooklyn. Oil companies, including Exxon Mobil and BP, which still has an active petroleum storage terminal by the creek, are recovering spilled oil from beneath their Greenpoint properties in a state-supervised cleanup that began after the Coast Guard first spotted evidence of oil seepage into the creek in 1978.

The oil companies are among the first six responsible entities identified by the E.P.A. under the Superfund program to help pay for the creek’s cleanup. The city, which began dumping raw sewage into the creek in 1856, is one of the six responsible parties — to date, the city has not fully stopped sewage overflow from going into the creek on rainy days — and is also expected to be financially liable. Agency officials said there was no estimate of how much the city could have to pay.

The E.P.A.’s environmental investigation and cleanup could take 10 to 15 years, and agency officials said they expected the cost to exceed the $300 million to $500 million that work on the Gowanus Canal is expected to cost. The inquiry will begin with a feasibility study, and the cleanup will most likely involve some dredging, Ms. Enck said.

In a conference call with reporters on Monday, Ms. Enck said the agency was focusing on urban waterways because “if they’re clean, they can provide tremendous recreation and economic opportunities for millions of people.”

Some advocates say the designation should bring cohesion to the cleanup efforts in the area. Residents, environmental groups and the New York State attorney general’s office have lawsuits pending against some or all of the oil companies over the pace and effectiveness of their remediation work.

“This is the only way that Newtown Creek is going to get cleaned up, with federal oversight and resources, so we’re very excited,” said Katie Schmid, director of the Newtown Creek Alliance, an advocacy group.

Representative Nydia M. Velázquez, who represents the area and had pushed for the designation for years, said that in the community meetings she held, residents were more concerned about toxic vapors and other air pollution rising from the creek and land than with any stigma of the Superfund label on development or property values.

“There’s a consensus of support” for a comprehensive cleanup, Ms. Velázquez said. “I am very happy.”

The Bloomberg administration supported the Superfund listing for Newtown Creek, in contrast with its opposition to the designation for the Gowanus Canal. In the case of the Gowanus, the city had come up with an alternative plan that officials said would have led to a quicker cleanup and avoided scaring developers away from an area already scheduled for significant commercial and residential development.

The E.P.A., however, decided that the Superfund designation would guarantee the best results and ensure that polluters covered all the costs.

“What’s going to get the job done fastest and more efficiently?” said Caswell F. Holloway, the commissioner for the city’s Department of Environmental Protection. “In the case of Newtown Creek, we believe the Superfund process is the way to do that.”

Ms. Schmid noted that the designation did raise concerns about how the Superfund study and cleanup might affect existing projects, like construction of affordable housing and plans for new public spaces. Residents and business owners also have said they were worried about increased truck traffic and restrictions on use of the creek, which some businesses rely on to ferry scrap metal and other goods.

Ms. Schmid said these were among the issues neighbors and local groups would be addressing with the agency as the Superfund project got started.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/28/sc...1&ref=nyregion

I'm not trying to second-guess the experts, but I can't believe it'll take that long. Especially the Gowanus Canal, which looks like it should be in emergency mode. I hope it doesn't get mired in red tape & bureaucracy like the new WTC. This cleanup is sorely needed right now.

Cool link cmandala. Thanks.

Newtown Creek would have been remediated in a matter of months if NYC had won the 2012 Summer Olympics. You couldn't build Olympic Village in Hunters Point adjacent to a waterway with poor water quality.

Yes, tens of millions or even hundreds of millions in potential income for NYC would have been a great motivator. Isn't money wonderful?

Newtown Creek Celebrates Superfunding With...a Boathouse?

October 21, 2010, by Sara Polsky

Some people may look at a photo of pleasure boats parked on Newtown Creek and see danger and ickiness. But others see opportunity! Fresh off the polluted waterway's Superfund designation, a Community Board 1 member has proposed the creation of a Newtown Creek boathouse in the Greenpoint Manufacturing and Design Center warehouse at the end of Manhattan Avenue. The plan, described in the Brooklyn Paper, includes boat storage space, a boating training center, a restored bulkhead, and a public pathway. Timeline: four years. Since the creek cleanup could take 10 years, we hope the training center will have wetsuits for rent.

Meanwhile, group pitches new boathouse [BK Paper]
    Newtown Creek coverage [Curbed]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/1..._boathouse.php

Default New Newtown Creek book

This new book is the second best ever published covering Newtown Creek:

Newtown Creek for the vulgarly curious
    by Mitch Waxman
    http://www.lulu.com/product/paperbac...rious/13032139

Travel the length of Newtown Creek, the currently undefended border of Brooklyn and Queens in New York City. 68 pages exploring the rich history and troubled past of the most polluted body of water in the United States, recently added to the Superfund list by the Federal EPA.

What is the best book ever published about Newtown Creek?
    http://www.furnacepress.com/publications/copper.html

Taking On the Sludge at Newtown Creek

Perkins+Will teams up to study the future of post-Superfund waterway corridor

Bill Millard

Newtown Creek, a former salt marsh on the Brooklyn-Queens border, has suffered from pollution through the years.
    Pocius / Flickr

On October 5, 1950, a subsurface methane/ gasoline explosion blew 25 Greenpoint manhole covers three stories skyward and shattered glass in some 500 buildings. This was only the most dramatic event in the long decline of Newtown Creek, the former salt marsh at the Brooklyn-Queens border. Over the years, the 3.8-mile shipping channel and nearby groundwater have absorbed massive quantities of petroleum products, plus heavy metals, polychlorinated biphenyls, volatile organic compounds, and other contaminants. A water treatment plant also pumps in a mix of stormwater and wastewater. The creek has no current, but its problems do not sit still: Tidal movements and combined sewer overflows affect the whole local estuary.

“We took core samples from the Riverkeeper boat back in December 2005,” said Phillip Musegaas from the environmental watchdog group of the same name. “It doesn’t even look like sediment. It basically looks like gelatinous black ooze, and it smells like petroleum.” Some call it “black mayonnaise.”

Without attracting the publicity of an Exxon Valdez or a Deepwater Horizon, Newtown Creek has quietly become New York’s grimmest example of what industries can do to water. Nearly two centuries of abuse, however, are winding down. On September 27, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) added Newtown Creek to Superfund’s National Priorities List, bringing federal expertise and enforcement muscle to the site’s multiple remediation efforts.

Newtown Creek has absorbed an array of harmful pollutants through the years.
    Verbunkos / Flickr

The Newtown Creek Alliance, Riverkeeper, and nonprofit developer Greenpoint Manufacturing and Design Group (GMDC) have now hired Perkins+Will, along with engineers Gannett Fleming, for a ten-month planning project, funded under the state’s Brownfield Opportunity Area (BOA) program. Investigating 1,000 acres in Newtown Creek’s watershed, the team will identify three sites for interventions aimed at transforming the area to a greener waterfront and a healthier aquifer. The deliverable result, said Perkins+Will’s Philip Palmgren, will be a report envisioning Newtown Creek’s evolution two, five, 10, and 30 years from now. The project also includes public meetings, which began on October 28.

Five corporate landowners (ExxonMobil, BP, Chevron/Texaco, Phelps Dodge, and National Grid) have joined forces as the Newtown Creek Companies, focusing on land-side remediation, while Superfund efforts focus on the creek. These firms, said spokesman Sam Ostrow, have been working with the EPA for a while and with the City of New York as well, “so the project really is not affected by the listing.”

The area’s problems are not limited to petrochemicals. Used for whale-oil refining since the 1830s, Newtown Creek also hosted fertilizer and glue factories, copper-smelting plants, coalyards, tanneries, and other industries. Refineries began producing (and spilling) kerosene, gasoline, and naphtha in the 1860s through the late 1960s. Dredging and bulkheading in the late 19th century converted the creek to a wholly industrial channel where diverse firms discharged waste. Longstanding contamination from multiple sources makes it difficult to identify individual polluters, but the end product is distinctly hazardous. The new BOA study recognizes that the creek remains commercially active; unlike many studies, it does not consider the site to be abandoned or anticipate conversion to residential use after remediation (as at nearby Hunter’s Point South, where the city’s mixed-use masterplan awaits revived private investment). Palmgren notes that its M3 zoning is unlikely to change, even as environmental concerns, market vectors, and PlaNYC 2030 push firms toward greener technologies.

Remnants of industry lining the banks of Newtown Creek.
    Verbunkos / Flickr

“The point is not to take away industrial uses,” Palmgren said, but to “introduce open green space into manufacturing zones.” Simply dredging the creek is impossible because the city relies on keeping the water-treatment plant running. The Superfund process, Palmgren said, represents “one of the original public-private partnerships... it isn’t simply that the feds take over the effort. The feds actually help find the responsible parties, [which] put a certain amount of money into the cleanup, and the private entities then are responsible for the cleanup as well.” It’s a contentious process, he admitted.
    Paul Parkhill, director of planning and development at GMDC, said, “We’re looking for everybody’s ideas, but we’re putting it in a framework of industrial redevelopment. It’s a significant maritime industrial area, and we’re interested in working with the folks on the ground to figure out what 21st-century industry looks like.”

The challenge is to manage that transition, retaining or even expanding employment, while maintaining essential operations during remediation. “It’s not a matter of driving someone out,” said Palmgren. “It’s that the markets will adjust. How can we make Newtown Creek part of that adjustment rather than being left as a brownfield that has no industry, no jobs, no manufacturing, because the city is moving away from petroleum-based energy?”

http://www.archpaper.com/e-board_rev.asp?News_ID=4947

There will be a meeting of the Newtown Creek Alliance in about two weeks.

MERRY, I expect you to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by CMANDALA View Post

MERRY, I expect you to be there.
    Don't count on it: Quantas has grounded the entire airbus fleet - getting a flight from the 'out-back' to NYC will be a bear. (LOL)

cheers mate

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast