Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A New Toll? No, It's Just Value Pricing

Actually, no. The idea was to get the Brooklyn docks back to being a major sea freight hub. Most of the traffic would be going the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Isn't that why that expensive proposal was made, about creating a direct freight rail link from Bayonne to Brooklyn? To lessen trucking into the city?

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Not your bad at all. I just wasn't sure.
    Well, my original post wasn't exactly well written

Push made to add toll that charges drivers on East River bridges and cuts congestion

Advocates are launching a public relations push Tuesday to support the ‘Move NY’ plan, which would put $8 tolls — or $5.54 with E-ZPass — on the four East River bridges, and charge drivers the same amount to cross 60th St. in Manhattan. The plan aims to reduce congestion and raise cash for mass transit.

BY Erin Durkin
    February 17, 2015

Daniel Hulshizer/AP The group wants tolls on East River bridges and toll cuts on other spans.

Advocates will launch a public relations push Tuesday for a plan to charge motorists to drive into central Manhattan in a bid to cut congestion and raise cash for mass transit.
    The “Move NY” plan would put $8 tolls — or $5.54 with E-ZPass — on the four East River bridges, and charge drivers the same amount to cross 60th St. in Manhattan in either direction.

But unlike the congestion pricing plan that failed under former Mayor Michael Bloomberg, it would also cut outer borough drivers a break by cutting tolls by $2.50 on the Verrazano, Triborough, Whitestone and Throgs Neck bridges, and $1 on the Henry Hudson, Cross Bay and Marine Parkway bridges.

Backers say the plan will generate $1.5 billion a year in new cash.

“We’ve always known that this thing was not going to get any traction until there was a need, and the need is now,” said Alex Matthiessen, the Move NY campaign director.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2117757

Forum Veteran

These toll proposals are incredibly anti-outerborough. They're a tax on non-Manhattanites
    Last edited by GordonGecko; February 18th, 2015 at 09:19 PM.

There is already a huge tax on Manhattanites: the cost of parking driven upward by all those driving into Manhattan. Besides, they still have to pay to return home after visiting elsewhere.

Forum Veteran

People in Manhattan don't need cars, they have plenty of efficient up/downtown buses, affordable distance cabs, and subway lines with maximal coverage. You can't say the same for many parts of the outerboroughs, like Bayside or College Point. These people already have to pay to park on the streets of Manhattan and now the government wants to add an extra tax?

I mostly agree GG. One reason I enjoy living in Manhattan is that I don't need or want a car. Especially nice since I don't have to be concerned with how much I drink when out at night. I do think some of the money should be spent to make garages near/atop subway stations ( major hubs?) perhaps even with a combination parking charge via metro card which would allow entry into the subway station for free. I can see major shopping being built adjoining it to take advantage of both.

I know when I was in London many years back shortly after they added the change for central city driving I happened to strike up a conversation with a lorry driver. He said that while they fought it before hand, he discovered that he could make so many more deliveries because of less traffic he was coming out much ahead money wise.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    People in Manhattan don't need cars, they have plenty of efficient up/downtown buses, affordable distance cabs, and subway lines with maximal coverage. You can't say the same for many parts of the outerboroughs, like Bayside or College Point. These people already have to pay to park on the streets of Manhattan and now the government wants to add an extra tax?
    This doesn't get to the root of the problem.

People who live in Manhattan don't need cars to commute in Manhattan (it's really stupid to do so), but they do go to other places that may require a car. You can argue that they could rent a car when they need one, but that still puts a vehicle on the road for the same amount of time. The expense of owning a car in that situation is their personal choice.

Commuting by car has a much larger impact on traffic volume (twice a day every day). I have friends in College Point, Bayside, and Whitestone. At one time or another, they all drove to Manhattan, but have long since changed to mass transit. College Point: car or bus to #7. Bayside: walks to LIRR. Whitestone: drives to Main St for #7. All have said that it's much cheaper to take mass transit.

The psychology of it is that people tend to be more aware of day-to-day costs than those costs spread out over time. Other than parking, drivers don't figure daily operating costs to commute; that's why no-toll bridges have such appeal. The reality is that, even without tolls, it's more expensive to drive into Manhattan than take mass transit.

Tolls on the East River bridges would force a lot of drivers to rethink their commuting options.

It is still far, far too easy for people in the outer boroughs and the wider metropolitan area to drive ALONE into Manhattan. It is something that has bothered me for awhile. I was one of them for several years when living in Westchester and later kept a street parked car when on the UES - it was too easy not to - (I now use Path from NJ). Thousands upon thousands of single occupancy cars still, unbelievably, head in through tunnels and bridges every day of the week. That cannot continue in what should be a progressive city.

Take the lead from many European cities and pedestrianize much more of Manhattan, levy far higher congestion charges once a vehicle is in Manhattan, not just the crossings: (flat charge if you want to take a passenger car into the 'box' of let's say 10th Ave to 2nd Ave From 58th St down to 14th St.

Not to open a can of worms but I do believe it is largely a cultural issue. It goes against the American way of life to not be able to take one's car where ever one wants, when ever one wants. Carpooling? Ha, that's good one.

It's criminal to be able to drive a vehicle onto the island of Manhattan for free. Levy the East River crossings.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Whitestone: drives to Main St for #7.
    That's just as bad as parking in Manhattan.

This had been floated a bunch of times, and shot down a bunch of times. This won't be any different. It needs state legislative approval, and the Republican senate won't give it.

Forum Veteran

The worst part about this is that the tolls will probably end up being 24/7. So forget about leisurely weekend or evening trips because now we have to "deal with the toll" as if people in Queens & Brooklyn now are now basically living in New Jersey. Do not under-estimate the psychological effect of such a toll, even if it just a few bucks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123