Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Hudson River Park

Walking along the bike path of the Tribeca Section yesterday I saw they are erecting these metal sculptures. There are at least two.

It's taken with a camera phone, sorry for the quality.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HRP2.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	5971   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HRP3.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	5972  

Pier 62 skate park

Banned Member

This park is probably the greatest public work in the last 20 years. It is a fascinating project to follow. The results in each open section have been magnificent.

Oh, an let's note that the success here is ENTIRELY due to NIMBY's.

Tourist Helicopter Rides Are Set to Be Phased Out

By PATRICK McGEEHAN
    Published: June 21, 2008

The uproar over the noisy comings and goings of sightseeing helicopters along the West Side of Manhattan has finally led to a plan to eliminate them.

Air Pegasus, the operator of the heliport at the west end of 30th Street, has agreed to start phasing out tourist flights next year and to stop them altogether in 2010, according to a draft of an agreement that needs the approval of a State Supreme Court justice.

The agreement would allow the heliport to continue handling corporate, emergency and government helicopters through the end of 2012.

By then, city and state officials hope to have chosen a new location along the West Side for the heliport, which sits within the boundaries of the Hudson River Park.

The agreement would settle a lawsuit filed last year by the Friends of Hudson River Park, a group that raises money to support the park.

The group sued Air Pegasus and the Hudson River Park Trust, a state authority, contending that the existence of the heliport on the land side of the park violated the law that created the park.

Liberty Helicopters, a tour operator that is the biggest user of the heliport, was also a defendant.

Under the agreement, the number of sightseeing flights would be capped at 25,000 for the year that ends on May 31, 2009, then to 12,500 over the next 10 months, then halted completely. The nontourist flights would also be limited, to 16,250 per year, according to the agreement.

Air Pegasus also agreed to erect barriers to reduce the noise and fumes emanating from the heliport and to move the takeoffs and landings of tourist flights onto a barge in the river. The operator said it would try to proceed with a plan it floated last year to relocate the entire heliport onto barges adjacent to its current location until a new, permanent site for the heliport is chosen.

“We would rather the heliport wasn’t there at all,” said A. J. Pietrantone, executive director of Friends of Hudson River Park. But, he added, the agreement “is probably the best we can get, given that there is not an alternative heliport.”

A spokesman for the trust declined to comment about the proposal to move the existing operation onto barges.

Diana Taylor, the chairwoman of the trust’s board of directors, said in a statement: “With this mutually beneficial settlement of a very thorny and complicated issue, I believe this is truly a case of being handed lemons and making lemonade. We preserve the most essential business, governmental and emergency needs for a West Side heliport while turning the facility itself into a friendlier neighbor to the park.”

Air Pegasus is owned by Alvin S. Trenk and his family. Mr. Trenk also owns a minority stake in Liberty, according to Stefan Friedman, an Air Pegasus spokesman.

“This agreement recognizes the importance of having an aesthetically pleasing park along the Hudson River,” Mr. Trenk said in a statement, “while also ensuring that those engaging in commerce continue to have access to a West Side heliport, which is crucial to the economic vitality of New York and for the government agencies which protect its citizens.”

The Trenks are also involved with FirstFlight, a company based upstate that has been chosen by the city’s Economic Development Corporation to operate the Downtown Manhattan Heliport, one of the two other heliports in Manhattan. Operators of two sightseeing helicopter companies have appealed to city officials to reconsider granting FirstFlight control of the downtown heliport because they do not want the Trenks to be their landlord.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/21/ny...l?ref=nyregion

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

Default Gansevoort Peninsula / Marine Waste Transfer Station

There is no reason that this project cannot be well designed and function in tandem with the surrounding park ...

Meatpacking District Will Take Out the Garbage

CURBED
    June 25, 2008

To everyone who thinks the Meatpacking District is filled with trash: You
    don't know how right you are! Late yesterday, Mayor Bloomberg and the
    State Legislature finally reached an agreement to build a marine waste
    transfer station on the Gansevoort Peninsula, a 1.4-acre piece of land
    that juts out into the Hudson at the end of Gansevoort Street. This is all
    part of the mayor's plan to make each borough responsible for its own
    garbage, and this particular battle has been raging for over three years
    (here's an early Villager story on the subject, and the picture at right
    comes from another oldie). The Hudson Square garbage garage is another
    controversial piece of this puzzle, but the Gansevoort waste station is
    particularly charming because it will sit in the new Hudson River Park.
    But don't worry, the agreement calls for the bike and pedestrian pathways
    adjacent to the transfer station site to remain open during construction.
    Yummy! The plan still needs state approval, so the McNallys and von
    Furstenbergs of the neighborhood still have time to cut the appropriate
    checks and get this off the table.

· Deal to Build Waste Station in Manhattan [NYT]
    · CurbedWire: Brooklyn Bridge Gets Crazy Lights, MePa Gets Trash [Curbed]

Deal to Build Waste Station in Manhattan

NY TIMES
    By JEREMY W. PETERS
    June 25, 2008

ALBANY — Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and the State Legislature reached an agreement late Tuesday to build a waste-transfer station in Manhattan, allowing a major piece of the mayor’s environmental agenda to move forward.

Plans for the station have been in the works for three and a half years. But the project’s slow progress has frustrated the mayor and his ambitious efforts to overhaul the way the city processes solid waste by moving more of it by barge and making each borough responsible for handling its own garbage.

The city needs the state’s approval to build the plant, which would occupy a 1.4-acre peninsula near Gansevoort Street, in the meatpacking district, because the land is part of the Hudson River Park that was established jointly by the city and the state.

To ease opposition to the plant, the agreement, sketched out in a bill that was introduced to the Legislature late on Tuesday, includes a memorandum of understanding with the governor, the mayor and leaders of both houses of the Legislature that would set aside money for new parkland along the river.

The agreement also calls for the bike and pedestrian pathway adjacent to the transfer station site to remain open during construction.

“As with many compromises, probably not everybody is happy,” said Assemblyman Robert K. Sweeney, a Suffolk County Democrat who chairs the Assembly Committee on Environmental Conservation. “But it makes provisions for significant parks projects, and that’s important.”

But Assemblywoman Deborah J. Glick, a Democrat who represents the district where the plant would be built, said it would devour precious parkland in an area in need of more green space.

“The mayor has clearly made a decision that nobody else can have a good idea but him,” said Ms. Glick, who had supported an alternative site for a transfer station, on West 36th Street.

The mayor’s office had no comment on the agreement because the Legislature had not yet passed the bill.

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company

Photos taken last week.

About half (Pier 40 to Laight St) of segment three looks ready to open.

Laight St. In the southern half, piers 25 and 26 have been completely rebuilt, but major construction work remains.

Fantastic! I love that first picture. What a view!

Thanks for the pics Zippy.

I've heard that the northern segment of the Tribeca section will open the week of July 7 ...

Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT View Post
    and the large pier 64 is covered in large styrofoam slabs in sort of a terraced arrangement. Anyone know how those are used?
    If I'd known I would've asked. I think they are insulation under the planting areas. The pier bottom is exposed to the elements.

Pier 64 and the section to the north connecting to segment 6 (piers 66 and 66A) will open by the end of the year. Piers 62 and 63 will remain closed.

Pier 64

Pier 63 behind a pile of bricks. The park's granite pavers are recycled originals that came across the Atlantic as ship ballast.

Pier 66A railroad float bridge.

The lightship Frying Pan, that stood guard at its namesake off the aptly named Cape Fear NC, found its way to New York and pier 63. A lease at a new home on pier 66A has been worked out, and it will open soon.
    http://nymag.com/daily/food/tags/hud...20park%20trust

Despite efforts to save it, the Gansevoort firehouse is being demolished.

Sad ^ and a bad mistake.

Gonna have to bring my bike over on the ferry and check out the improvements. Was there a month a ago and looked good at that point.

Default Fire boat station

A good friend of mine was the battalion chief working out of this fireboat station and invited me over for lunch about five years ago. Other than the quaint look of the station on the outside, the interior is totally trashed from years of being exposed to the weather and neglected by the city. The adjoining pier was falling in on itself and should have been condemned. Actually I believe it was.

Regarding the following statement "The board also recommended that the Trust consider adaptive reuse of the old firehouse by turning it into “a maritime or firefighting museum or educational facility.” There already is an underfunded firefighting museum located on Spring Street and a South Street Seaport museum which I guess is about the maritime history of New York. Neither one addresses the history of "aquatic" firefighting due to lack of financial resources.

There is a retired fireboat named the "Harvey" and I believe it's being refurbished. When it will be available for events, I don't know.

I always wonder, how do people lay in the sun where there's no water to cool off?
    My number one complaint about HRP: there is a serious lack of water features to wet oneself. Why? The few that exist are for the kiddies. There are 2 sprinklers on the pier near Christopher St., but other than that I can't think of many...you're laying next to a gazillion gallons of water and yet all you can do is just sit there and sweat. I usually last about 15 minutes.