Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Hudson River Park

Actually, it's smart.

When the park was just a pipedream, the temporary esplanade was built and maintained to get people down to the river, and generate public support. The more people use it, the better chance a permanent park will be built.

Big Apple

Wormhole?

Construction of the Clinton Cove segment near W 57 St, with the ubiquitous retro lamp posts.

There is new activity along the waterfront from Canal Street to Pier 40 (Houston St.). The asphalt is being ripped up and all but the bike path is blocked off.

Those are the temporary tennis courts.

Ah, I should have re-read your last post! Why don't they "construct" the planned park instead of something temporary? You're right, it's frustrating.

I just took some photos of both development that are happening simultaneously. They eventually will connect and it will be a big long park. :P I can't wait.

Riverside Park South:

Hudson River Park:

Thanks for the photos.

The top photo (illustration) is of Segment 3 (out of 7) of Trump's Riverside Park South, which should be finished in the next 6-12 months.

The two photos below the top illustration are of Segment 4 of Riverside Park South. Site preparation for Segment 4 is already well underway and it should be open not long after Segment 3.

Once Segment 4 is complete and Clinton Cove of HRP is finished, only Pier 97 (new Dep of Sanitation truck parking is under construction as we speak across the West Side Highway) will remain before there is a seemless connection from Riverside Park South to HRP.

I love how fast Riverside Park South is being built. I guess that's what happens when something is privately funded.

Forum Veteran

2 amazing projects for Manhattan and NYC. Does anyone think there would ever be a shot at burying the entire West Side H'way and putting parks (and builgings to help pay for it) above. It would really be a major improvement for the city.

From http://www.thirteen.org/nyvoices/hig...not_taken.html

Federal government was going to finance the project with money from the Highway Trust Fund.
    How could NYC did not let this happen? The Federal Government was up for this. What were NYC thinking back then? :roll:

In 1985, Judge Thomas Griesa dealt the project its final blow by ruling that Westway might harm the Hudson's striped bass population and therefore couldn't go forward.
    :x Where is this judge at? I am going to pay a little visit.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime
    From http://www.thirteen.org/nyvoices/hig...not_taken.html

Federal government was going to finance the project with money from the Highway Trust Fund.
    How could NYC did not let this happen? The Federal Government was up for this. What were NYC thinking back then? :roll:

In 1985, Judge Thomas Griesa dealt the project its final blow by ruling that Westway might harm the Hudson's striped bass population and therefore couldn't go forward.
    :x Where is this judge at? I am going to pay a little visit.
    What do you mean? Think about all the Striped Bass that were saved and allowed to frolic by the West Side H'Way.

We could have wound up with 3 miles of Trump Place. The unique Meatpacking District would be swept away. The West Village would survive, but be overwhelmed. The same for Tribeca.

The parkland created would not really be a park, but more like the BPC esplanade. What I like about Hudson River Park is that at the pier ends, you are out of the city, just like places in Central Park.

Westway was primarily a real estate plan. There was no real traffic management. The big flaw was that a high speed interstate would constrict at the Battery Tunnel. It would not have solved one of Manhattan's biggest traffic headaches - the Holland Tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    The parkland created would not really be a park, but more like the BPC esplanade.
    Hey there is nothing wrong with that! As long as it is public like BPC park it will be amazing!

I hate to cross the west side everyime I want to access the river park. Sometimes I am urge to run or bike infront of trafic when I get a chance just to get there. (sometime I do) It is not healthy for me and others like me. :|

Default hudson river park

where is that apple located :?:

I like BPC too, but I don't want to see an entire West Side of it. The Westway road would have had limited entry/exit points, at major cross streets, so there would still be a street for you to cross.

I left out an important point. It would be a mistake to evaluate likely Westway development under today's attitudes toward urban life. Westway was spawned in an era of urban decline, with declining population and rising crime. Cities were regarded as unmanageable, their streets incubators of crime. They were chaotic and needed to be "upgraded."

Urban renewal. There are examples in the area. Independence Plaza, with its towers on a raised plaza and low buildings forming the fortress, was planned for all of Washington Market. In 20 years I have been there once. A perfect compliment to the WTC superblock.

BPC was planned the same way, but only one development was built under that design - Gateway Plaza, its gateway to the compound keeps the city at arms length.

I think that this is the sort of development we would have gotten. Vertical suburbia, and when it's necessary for the residents to leave the enclave, jump on Westway and tunnel out of the city.

I hated Westway. I am much happier with Meier and Gehry on the Hudson, and whatever chaotic development comes along.

PIER DEVELOPERS SEEK A BERTH

July 20, 2004

Insiders say the two leading candidates to redevelop Pier 57 at West 15th Street are Original Ventures, which proposes a performing arts center, and the Pier 57 Preservation Trust, which would build a Cousteau Society visitor center and museum.

The Hudson River Park Trust wants to revamp the pier, now used as a bus depot, for cultural, educational, maritime or possibly artistic uses. It solicited ideas in October, then invited four respondents to submit proposals.

James Ortenzio--a former chairman of the trust, who now serves as Manhattan's Republican Party chair--is said to be championing The Witkoff Group's plan, which would create an Italian heritage center featuring shops, a marina and a Cipriani restaurant. A fourth idea, from Chelsea Piers Management, emphasizes a marina and incorporates recreational facets.

Mr. Ortenzio says he's not backing any one proposal and would prefer to see key elements of each combined.

Copyright 2004, Crain Communications, Inc

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast