Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Pier 40 - Hudson River Park

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    The Related / Cirque plan offers less parking than the UrbanDove plan, yet calls for uses that clearly would bring in more people at concentrated times.
    Hey, it's a city. How much parking does Carnegie Hall offer?

Cirque plan: exciting. Something for every New Yorker and every visitor.

The other plan: boring. For only the few who will use it.

Extend the 7 line.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    The prices for Cirque are beside the point.
    Not when you make wealth an issue.
    We both know the children who benefit from that will be the children of well-to-do area residents.
    The children of IPN also use the pier.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    Hey, it's a city. How much parking does Carnegie Hall offer?
    Sits over subways.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    The other plan: boring. For only the few who will use it.
    As are all the playgrounds, the ballfields, tennis courts, Lasker pool/rink, etc in Central Park.

Lofter is right. This would be better suited near the Javits Center.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Lofter is right. This would be better suited near the Javits Center.
    Better still, extend the 7 line. I know, I know ... when pigs fly. This isn't China.

And it isn't Charlotte.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    And it isn't Charlotte.
    In Charlotte they'd make them put in a humungous parking lot.

For the Cirque project it would extend to 6th Avenue.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...24#post2537724

Last edited by ablarc; December 29th, 2006 at 10:03 PM. Reason: link

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Better still, extend the 7 line.
    Better yet for Mayor LaGuardia to have refrained from destroying the 9th Avenue El and its Houston Street station 2 short blocks from Pier 40. The next stop uptown, at Christopher Street:

^ Well, I dunno. You really think els are a good idea?

^I favor anything that lowers housing costs in the West Village. Also, fashions do change -- witness the neighborhood's other El, the NY Central High Line (visible in the first picture just below the Swiss chalet-style station). Interestingly, perhaps, 60 years ago, the City wanted to raze every building shown in the second photo ("blighted") and replace them with a large housing project. Instead, most of them were converted to apartments a couple of decades later.
    Last edited by ManhattanKnight; December 29th, 2006 at 08:10 PM.

Not when you make wealth an issue.
    The prices for a cirque visit ARE beside the point because they are two totally different kinds of expenses. Wealth was not directly my "issue", but rather assuring widespread access for many income levels.
    I bet you I could find a non-wealthy person who could afford to visit Cirque once a year(like myself). They could certainly afford an apple at the farmer's market, right? I could not, however, afford the fees charged for a year of day care or summer camp. Get it?? Apples and oranges. I mentioned wealth, but not in the sense that you managed to misunderstand it.
    Repeat: They are two totally different kinds of expenses. One circus admittance is not the issue. There are other uses there besides the circus. How did we get stuck on that??
    Day care: thousands per year??
    Once a year circus visit: a hundred and some change, right? No comparison.
    Day care draws repeated use by the same limited number of people. A PAC would be enjoyed by residents and visitors alike.

As are all the playgrounds, the ballfields, tennis courts, Lasker pool/rink, etc in Central Park.
    Everyone uses those. They are out in the open, not cordoned off inside of a complex that charges admission or requires one to bear children. Again, you have drawn an invalid comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by ManhattanKnight View Post
    ^I favor anything that lowers housing costs in the West Village.
    Well, the El would definitely do that!

MidtownGuy: I get the impression that as soon as you finished reading about the Cirque proposal and came upon the 2nd half of the article describing the alternative plan your eyes glazed over and you didn't read the rest of what was written. Clearly the 2nd plan is NOT limited to those in the immediate area:

... this facility would be the new home to Urban Dove’s Net Gain program, under which Urban Dove provides basketball court time for students from schools that lack courts. Urban Dove had been providing this service at Basketball City at Pier 63 for 450 students from 18 public high schools.
    Also:

“The People’s Pier will be able to host major national and regional sporting events that will showcase the city and its waterfront.”
    Regarding the extension of the #7 line ...

It currently is planned to end at 11th Avenue near 34th Street.

According to wikipedia there is a possible future extension of the #7 line as far south as 23rd St.:

Future extension southward

The 7 subway extension will have service tracks that extend to near 23rd Street. These tracks will be used for moving and storing trains. This track segment opens up the possibility that the line could be extended further south to 23rd Street and 11th Avenue to a possible future station to serve the Chelsea section of Manhattan and Chelsea Piers, which has become a popular recreation facility.
    So ... Unless you want to dig up and rebuild the West Side Hiway the #7 Line hits an endpoint at 23rd. An alternative would be to run it east under 23rd to 10th Avenue and then down 10th to 14th Street and then south under Washington Street. But that would run into all sorts of costs / trouble ....

A better plan would be to run a light rail along 10th Avenue from West 72nd Street south through the west side, connecting to Washington Street where it would continue on through the Village and Tribeca to the WTC.

Banned Member

I wish a plan would be proposed that offered something that everyone could enjoy that to some degree went against the overall "promenade /esplanade" design. HRP is turning into a long and increasingly boring walk, that offers very little to New York City residents (notice I did NOT say "community" residents) beyond its granite sidewalks. The best things that the park offers are often temporary, like the "Snow & Ashes" exhibit. It seems to be following a path of exclusionary development. I think a park designed to run the perimeter of an island that is also bound by a major highway needs concessions. Hell, build a Nathan's there and give us cheap eats and outdoor seating. I find the plans frustrating for their lack of simplicity and continued focus on serving a narrow segment of residents. They can start redevelopment there by bringing back the River Project.

provides basketball court time for students from schools that lack courts
    no no, my eyes didn't glaze over. I read that part, and was nonplussed because, again, this falls under my "need to bear a child to get a benefit" provision. I want it for everyone, not just cheeeeldren. Not a bunch of sports courts and fields, which are exclusionary in my view if they are intended for children or organized groups; I am for an exciting development that you don't need to be on a schedule or a sports roster to enjoy, and that is useful to all ages. A compelling urban space that invites spontaneous enjoyment for all ages.
    I'm with Brooklynrider- it isn't difficult or complicated...
    HRP is turning into a long and increasingly boring walk,
    the PAC plan has restaurants, a Farmer's Market, a plaza, and a circus atmosphere that will act as a pleasant anchor to help counter that impression.
    The other plan- A big grey building with organized sports activities behind closed doors adds nothing to the typical visitor's experience of this park. Just like that big blight Chelsea Piers.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

If anyone thinks that needed athletic facilities available to the community equate to "day care" then I don't even know where to begin a discussion.
    From the article you posted:
    CampGroup would build an additional 100,000 square feet of facilities, and run a “high-quality day camp” from mid-June to mid-August each year.
    Imagine all the SUV-toting soccer moms dropping off their brats. Oi.

Btw, I think the "People's Park" sounds corny as hell, along the same lines as the People's Republic of China or the Freedom Tower.

"Day care" does not equate with "day camp".

Day care pertains to infants and toddlers.

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast