Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Pier 40 - Hudson River Park

From hudsonriverpark.com ...

SEE RENDERINGS:

Pier 40 - The People's Pier
    submitted by CampGroup LLC in partnership with The Urban Dove
    Pier 40 Performing Arts Center
    submitted by The Related Companies, L.P.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Let's post the renderings here.

Performing Arts Center:

The People's Pier:

Not hard to pick the winner.

I agree. The people's pier is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Let's post the renderings here.

Performing Arts Center:

This is awesome!!

The performing arts center is the obvious choice, but given the level of West Village NIMBYism and provincial thinking, I'm afraid the local crazies will fight for the soccer field.

Arrow Great Minds......

I agree with Aschwarz and ABlarc,,,,,,,,the winner is obvious.

p.s. CBtwo, which post is it you agree with?
    Last edited by infoshare; January 22nd, 2007 at 06:56 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz View Post
    The performing arts center is the obvious choice, but given the level of West Village NIMBYism and provincial thinking, I'm afraid the local crazies will fight for the soccer field.
    They can play on top of the waste treatment plant in the 160's. This peforming arts center is too good to pass up. Also, play fields should not occupy prime waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    I agree with Aschwarz and ABlarc,,,,,,,,the winner is obvious.
    p.s. CBtwo, which post is it you agree with?
    ablarc and ASchwarz are for PAC.

As stated earlier, count me in as a PAC supporter also.

CBtwo on the other hand is for People's Pier.

Fact is, the PAC has no chance, I don't think.

People in that area generally have very conservative tastes, and the PAC is too glitzy and exactly the type of thing these people don't like.

Oh well...

Like a performing arts center that will fail probably within the first six months is a great solution? Especially when one has to dodge the ever present garbage trucks coming and going from down the street. This location isn't exactly the easiest place to get to do you realize?

And does anyone really think that the final scheme will look anything like the renderings? If you do then you must believe in Tinker Bell and her magic dust.

I think that a new NYC Opera House should be built on one of these piers.

^ Well, according to CBTwo, nothing of that sort should be on the piers because it will fail within the first six months.

I thought this whole exercise of finding new tenants for Pier 40 had to do with getting more money to support the HRP, not lose more money, or spend more money in fantasy land.

I would love to see a poor man's "Lincoln Center" in my neighborhood but it doesn't make sense with what's around it. Across the street you have the multi block long St. John's Building, hardly an anchor for a glitzy development. Where, from and how are the people going to access this complex? And why would they want to go there? To buy some organically grown tomatoes? Fine in the late summer months. What do you do in the dead of winter when you put out a box of your freshly baked cookies only to turn around and find they are floating in the river due to the hurricane force that upturned your table and sent it and its contents on a "bon voyage?"

Can any one tell me how the Metropolitan Opera is dispersing their excess profits from the last four seasons? Are they endowing a chair for Oberlin College or are they channeling those profits back into making the Museum of Opera a broader experience for all?

Other than that there shouldn't be a problem with competing venues as it's obvious New Yorkers, and might I say people from New Jersey and other outlying areas also, love opera as witnessed by the supporter below.

http://newsfromrussia.com/science/2006/01/06/70835.html

This ain't Sidney honey. Utzon's original estimate 7 million, final cost 102 million. Oops! A slight cost over run, but it is a nice opera house. The taxpayers can afford it.
    Last edited by CBTwo; January 22nd, 2007 at 08:53 PM.

Aschwartz mentions, "The performing arts center is the obvious choice, but given the level of West Village NIMBYism and provincial thinking, I'm afraid the local crazies will fight for the soccer field."

I believe New York City already has a performing arts center, it's called Lincoln Center. If Ashwartz wasn't aware of it, Lincoln Center is on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, between West 62nd and 65th Streets and Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues. There are all kinds of performances going on there year around, dance, opera, ballet, orchestral performances, you name it. It's there. Here's a link.

ttp://www.lincolncenter.org/

Why might I ask, "Would another performing arts center on the waterfront make the performances better?"

On another note I personally don't like the way the soccer hooligans have taken over the Pier 40 complex, but such is life. At least the complex is being used by the communities around the facility, from Chelsea down to the Battery. Where else would all the poor little kiddies from DUSC, all dressed up in their cute little soccer uniforms go to play? The streets of Tribeca, or that smelly playground up in the 160's?
    Last edited by CBTwo; January 22nd, 2007 at 11:58 PM.

Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast