Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Best New York Pizza

I'm laughing because I was in NY last week and I just happened to eat at Arturo's and it was some of the best pizza I have ever eaten. My only objection is that some of the paintings are rather haunting. I spent my entire dinner staring at one particularly disturbing picture of an emaciated woman. I recommend eating there, just keep your eyes off the walls. Check out the bathroom too, there is a bathtub just incase you feel a little dirty or spill on yourself.

Yeah, that bathtub is a laugh. Besides the creepy pictures, Arturo's has one of the best atmospheres of all the great pizza places in the city, especially when someone is on the piano.

Quote Originally Posted by boxcutter
    Are there any pizza places in Manhattan better than John's? I ate a lot of pizza there and it was the best.

Grimaldi's, Lombardi's and Denino's

Forum Veteran

I happened upon a touristy place that has great pizza just south of Central Park. Angelo's Pizza - 117 West 57th St.

I heard a place in L.A. actually buys bottled NYC tap water. They claim to be the only place out side of new york to have a "real New York style" pizza. I forget the name of the place. I think it was on the travel channel or something.

I heard a place in L.A. actually buys bottled NYC tap water. They claim to be the only place out side of new york to have a "real New York style" pizza. I forget the name of the place. I think it was on the travel channel or something.
    I've passed by that place. Supposendly what makes NYC Pizza so great is the water that makes the dough. Not suprising, its on Rodeo Drive.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by kmistic
    I saw a similar story, but they don't ship water - they mix minerals to simulate NY tap. Shipping would be cost prohibitive.

Thats probably what i seen. I stand corrected.

The city is full of pizza parlors. If it's open late and full of people its bound to be good.

Forum Veteran

NYTimes
    November 28, 2004
    THE CITY LIFE

Brooklyn Pizza to Go

By FRANCIS X. CLINES

inding Patsy Grimaldi's name on a pizzeria out in Phoenix, amid all that sun and desert, is weird. Anyone who knows Patsy can only picture his coal-fired pizza oven glowing in the long shadows of the Brooklyn Bridge's eastern arch, with the patient lines of hungry customers outside and a firm no-delivery policy inside (except in the old days when Frank Sinatra ordered out from the Waldorf-Astoria or sent a plane from Los Angeles for two score of Patsy's pies). "I'm retired now," explains Patsy. "But franchised, kind of."

It's not like he's Brooklyn's answer to Colonel Sanders. So far there are just a precious few other Grimaldis out there and Patsy says he insists on personally training this new generation to make pies the way his late uncle, Patsy Lancieri, taught him 60 years ago in Harlem - with the special dough recipe and only fresh ingredients from Italy, of course, but always in an oven built the old way from brick and fired the old way by coal, not by gas as most modern pizzeria ovens are.

"Fifty years ago, 100 years ago, that's all they had in the city was coal ovens," Patsy says, proud to be handing on his retro-coal technique to Phoenix. By his account, the coal-brick approach produces far more heat (800 degrees plus) than gas, and thereby fierce-to-subtle hot spots of artistry to make the pie bubble, crisp and lightly char. "Far better flavor," Patsy assures, particularly for those who had their first taste of pizza after World War II, when soldiers came home with tales of discovering it in Italy. Pizza has since become a ubiquitous industry in America with flavors running from rare ambrosia to mall-rat flannel. It inevitably created a connoisseur craving for the real deal, the sort of pie that perennially has Grimaldi's rated among New York's best. "Everybody's advertising 'brick-oven,' but not with the coal," Patsy cautions. "These guys know nothing about pizza."

Like thoroughbred racing bloodlines, pizza can be traced in this country to a pioneer master, Gennaro Lombardi, who opened the first shop offering the exotic, postpeasant bakery product a century ago in Manhattan's Little Italy. He brought the recipe from Naples, where pizza was cooked in wood-fired ovens, and adapted it here to coal ovens, one of which still powers up worthy pies at an authentic version of Lombardi's on Spring Street.

Patsy Grimaldi honors this history down through Uncle Patsy as he finally hands their arts on to the future. First he put an outpost in Hoboken with a coal-brick oven built and run now by a contractor friend who preferred constructing pizzas. And now it's on to Phoenix, and only because the owner there needed the secrets of the Brooklyn pie maker who knows from coal-brick ovens. "So," says Patsy, "you could say I'm now a - what is it called? - a consultant. A pizza consultant."

Default Pizza Recipes

I saw a show on the History channel about New York City pizza parlors. Most that were showing the pizza being made show the sauce added after the other toppings. Is this a new trend?

No other NY recipes I found on Google, or anywhere else for that matter, follow these directions.

Forum Veteran

Sauce on top of cheese and maybe a few other things is called sotto sopra. I don't know how many places have it.

Forum Veteran

Default Re: Pizza Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by nick1126
    I saw a show on the History channel about New York City pizza parlors. Most that were showing the pizza being made show the sauce added after the other toppings. Is this a new trend?

No other NY recipes I found on Google, or anywhere else for that matter, follow these directions.
    Nah, not that I've seen. The trend is neopolitan thin-crust with real mozz.

I saw a show (maybe the same) and they talked about John's Pizzeria in Times Square, a secondary location after their well-known Village eatery. Its the "largest pizza restaurant in the world" supposedly. It is in a refurbished church.

i like lombardi's and john's on bleecker the best, but up on amsterdam at around 121st near columbia is che bella which is real good too.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast