Thread: 69th street Ferry - Old pictures

Default 69th street Ferry - Old pictures

I'm seaching for picture of the old 69th street ferry. I know there was sevral boats that ran out of the old dock. My grandfather was a captain on *the ferrys. Im looking for picture of the boats them self. *I know three of the names of the boats :: 1) Narrows *2) Tide 3) hudson. *I think there was two other boats to, But i do *not know the names.
    * * * * I *know before the ferry was shut down the *TIDE *was scraped *by the ferry service. The coast guard used the boat for many years after. My grandfather drove the boat again when he started to work for the coast guard driving the goveners Island ferry. If anyone has , OR know where i can find *pictures. Please Contact me , i'm willing to pay for old B/w& color *Photos & negtives. *My email address is : Rmunews@aol.com

(Edited by BILL at 10:19 am on Nov. 17, 2002)

Default 69th street Ferry

I don't have pictures of the boats, but there was a thread on New York Central Railroad float bridge at the foot of 69th Street. Here are two pictures from the thread.

The gantry of the float bridge of New York Central Railroad at 69th Street, next to Trump Place.

Those photos are of West 69th Street in Manhattan.

The 69th street Ferry ran from Bay Ridge Avenue (69th Street) in Brooklyn to St. George, Staten Island.

Quote: from Kevin Walsh on 7:50 pm on Mar. 22, 2003
    Those photos are of West 69th Street in Manhattan.

The 69th street Ferry ran from Bay Ridge Avenue (69th Street) in Brooklyn to St. George, Staten Island.
    Welcome aboard, Kevin. * Forgotten New York is still "bloody wonderful"!

I hope we can look forward to your continued participation on this forum.

Cheers
    Meredith

Default 69th Street Ferry/ Verazzano Bridge

I would like to see some pictures of the ferry. I haven't been able to find any. When I was a kid in High School I worked at the Staten Island Terminal of the Ferry. I sold ice cream and orange aid to the cars waiting to get on the ferry.
    The concession was owned by a Joseph Delia and I remember one of the Captians. Captian ( Koosey Coosie) I can only spell it as it sounds. In fact he took me to the bridge and I actually docked the boat on the Staten Island, St. George Terminal. The ferry would close down in a few days right after the Verzzano Bridge opened.

The Brooklyn and Richmond Ferry

Late 1920s

Late 1930s

http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.c...sillygal.htm#5
    Go to part 5.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Bill, I don't know anything that can help you, but what you have told us is very interesting!

Default photos

Thanks Zippy,
    The pictures are great. About a year ago I looked all over. I spoke to the Staten Island Museum they had nothing on the ferry. I am writing a novel
    that takes place on SI in the 1950's and 1960's. I wanted info to jog my memory. I could find a lot about the Manhattan - SI ferry even old photos of the early steam boats.
    Jim