Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manners for the Visiting Chavs, with Tenenbaum

Default Manners for the Visiting Chavs, with Tenenbaum

Heres a tip to the English and other visitors to make the visit more pleasant when asking for directions, interacting with New Yorkers etc..

When you arrive and you want directions from a stranger, especially if you have 2 earlobes distended with rings and other facial implants that make you look like a 13th Century Mongol, do not rush past a MTA bus with the door open and 3 or 4 other people to ask a stranger "Oi" as happened today, because most people will just keep walking.

Its best to ask an MTA driver if the opportunity presents itself, as I witnessed today. If you ask a stranger on the street, its best to say "Excuse me Sir Im sorry to bother you but could you please tell me where the nearest Metro station is?"

And how not to do it:

My friend and I kept walking at the "Oi" but then when the English gentleman with the hoodie said "Wheres the metro", I waved him over in the direction and said 3 blocks that way" as I kept walking.

That does not deserve a "Well its so hard for you to help me isnt it" and a "You ought to be more careful you know matey".

Because thats when locals think you are being a tad aggressive, and ask questions like "Do you want to fight me? Is that a threat? Because I can get someone from the precinct to come here now if you would like."

And then little pricks like the gentleman today, run away very very fast, muttering even more nonsense under their breath.

It pays to have good manners, at least while you're here.

So remember

Sir or Ma'am

Im sorry to bother you

Could you please tell me...

Get a free map from MTA and dont rush up to strangers

Don't say "Oi"

Because if you do, a New Yorker may say something like "Welcome to New York and Go F*ck Yourself!". And thats not something you want.

Tenenbaum out.

More manners tips welcome here!

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

The response 'fcuk off' works very well in situations like that.

I grieves me to hear of 'Brits Abroad' like that - and makes me a little ashamed to hail from these shores.

We are not all like that, I assure you.

Deaf ears tdp.

What?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Tenenbaum View Post

Its best to ask an MTA driver if the opportunity presents itself, as I witnessed today. If you ask a stranger on the street, its best to say "Excuse me Sir Im sorry to bother you but could you please tell me where the nearest Metro station is?"
    Actually, it's best to ask for the nearest subway station where you can catch a particular number or letter. New York City has neither a Metro nor a "red line." I can't even tell you how many times people have asked for the tube, the metro, or the yellow/red/blue/whatever line.

Or hey, better yet: get a map and learn how to read it.

Question

I'm wondering if all the IRT/BMT/IND nomenclature types are dead at this point(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    Actually, it's best to ask for the nearest subway station where you can catch a particular number or letter. New York City has neither a Metro nor a "red line." I can't even tell you how many times people have asked for the tube, the metro, or the yellow/red/blue/whatever line.

Or hey, better yet: get a map and learn how to read it.
    Sure everyone should know everything about their destination before they go there, including the transport network and subtle language differences. Give me a break. Of course you have never needed help from someone while on vacation and if you did you know all the correct terminology, right?

I can't count the times I've gotten into funny, enjoyable conversations with tourists, that started with, "Can you tell me where...?"

Like the time I thought, "Where's the Blue Circle Line" meant they wanted to go on a boat ride.

Question

What did they actually want?

Settle down, Alonzo-ny. The initial post in this thread is about 50 times more vitriolic than my own. I will guarantee you that I wouldn't go looking for "the elevator to the subway" in London, though.

I think your missing the point...
    It's not what he asked, but HOW he asked?!

Gregory Tenenbaum also suggested others post their own etiquette tips, and it does suggest a certain arrogance to refuse to accustom oneself to local terms for things you're actually going to be using. "Blue Circle Line?" Come on. Unless you've got a serious head injury, there's no excuse for that.

It is easy to forget where you are, on my first trip to NY I remember asking for things in pounds rather than dollars. Sometime you arent switched on. Tourists have no idea that New Yorkers dont refer to lines by their colour. I think you are being as ignorant in expecting tourists to meet your high standards.

However knowing chavs the first post by GT isnt actually that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    What did they actually want?
    We ran into them on the triangle across 6th Ave from 1 York St. I went into a blah-blah about there not being a subway near the Hudson River, other options. My wife said, "Stop talking. They want the A train."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast