Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Is NYC Dirty?

Default Littering Perps...

In the last month we (our building) got two tickets (from NYC Sanitation) in the last month for something like "I observed a tissue, a paper cup, and broken glass 12 inches from curb". One ticket was on a saturday afternoon and the other on a wednesday afternoon.

This is not a busy block (compared to other blocks in Harlem) But all day people walk by or kids from the school (across the street) run by... at all hours and just drop tissue, cups, cans and bottles on the street. The other thing is where people go shopping on 125th street and park on our block (122 st), when they come back, before they drive off they open their car doors and leave their car garbage on the curb and drive off. You see this everyday. An empty parking spot with some trash (coffee cup or fast food containers) right on the curb.

We try to keep our block clean, and pick each other's garbage as we walk in and out of our homes everyday. But if we are at work (weekday) or out visiting family (weekends) and someone is just drove off and left their garbage on the curb... then 3 seconds later SANITATION drives by and gives us a $100 ticket. Not fair! Why don't they go after the people dropping garbage?

We can't be on the lookout every 15 minutes 24 hrs a day. It would make a little more sense if the garbage was there for 24 hrs... but it looks like the city created a new law to create more revenue for themselves.

Why don't they (NYPD or NYSD) enforce the no littering laws anymore? Go after the people littering? Do it for a few weeks straight... or days at random.

Why make the home owners pay for other people's sins?

What's next? Are they going to come after us for illegally parked cars in front of our property? If a crime is committed in front of our home (drug deal, theft,etc) will we be arrested and held responsible for that (and let the actual perps walk away)?

Everyday I see people littering like if teh world is their toilet. I see them on teh street, I see them on teh subway (throwing into teh track - or in the subway cars). Why do they do that? I think a whole generation has grown up with out the fear of littering laws.

And us older folks can do anything, we don't have guns and badges... it would be hard for us to confront violators.

You want cleaner streets? Start giving tickets for littering.

Get a camera and start taking pictures. Remember to get them leaving the trash and their license plate number.

You don't have to be the police in this, but it may help things.

Also, be careful when typing "the". I make the same mistake, but:

Everyday I see people littering like if teh world is their toilet. I see them on teh street, I see them on teh subway (throwing into teh track - or in the subway cars)...
    I think this happens when I am trying to type fast and I am not paying attension to what I am writing.......

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by OjoRojo
    In the last month we (our building) got two tickets (from NYC Sanitation) ...

I couldn't agree with you more! I've been known to say things to people when I see them litter. I'll probably be shot one of these days in our gun obsessed country. That being said, NYC's dirty streets is my pet peeve!
    The amount of garbage on the streets is dispicable. Travel abroad, look at other cites of our size and you see that all this mess is avoidable!
    We can send people into space but we can't clean our streets. Hmmm?
    While I agree that giving tickets is a great way to stop the littering the Department of Sanitation does a terrible job of street sweeping and street cleaning. Have you seen them fly by on their street cleaners? They go so fast they'd be lucky to pick up a cigarette butt.
    Last edited by Edward; August 2nd, 2005 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Quote too long

Default Nope

NYC is super clean, cleaners all over sweeping the streets. I think Guiliani introduced this. Citys in Scotland have much more litter than in NY.

Even the south bronx is clean. Buildings boarded up with quality wood and sorrounded by spotless pavements.

NYC is super clean, cleaners all over sweeping the streets.
    Take a walk to 28th and Broadway around 7pm. Or have a gander at a puke puddle lapping against a Midtown kerb on a weekend night. Walk the streets on a steamy late August night after the garbage along the sidewalks has been baked by the sun all day.

I've no idea the general condition of Scotland's cleanliness, but other parts of the UK and Europe I've visited have been spotless by comparison. Actually, one only has to take the PATH to Hoboken or Jersey City (dull by comparison though they are) to see what a place which takes greater care over its cleanliness looks like.

I remember it when it was really dirty. Whenever I visit these days I'm amazed at how immaculate it is. I can take pictures free of litter just about everywhere. Amazing!

Forum Veteran

Take a walk around Paris, the world's biggest tourist attraction, and then tell me you think NYC is clean.

There are certain parts of NYC, that are dirty, and certain parts that are clean. For example, the garment district from 34th street south to Worth Square, and you will see one of the dirtiest parts of broadway, take a walk on the upper east side, or Downtown Brooklyn, or even Times Square.

Thumbs down

I don't think anyone disputes that many areas of the city are immaculate! Central Park being one, Midtown, Upper Eastside, Upper Westside, etc. but take a walk in virtually any area of Chelsea, Greenwich Village, Lower Eastside, etc..the less touristy areas, although equally expensive, if not more, are filthy, not to mention the subways.
    The smells and garbage that litter the streets are literally beyond belief of ANY western civlized city!

Thumbs down to New York and it's sanitation department!

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Chelsea seems pretty clean to me -

Forum Veteran

You all have very different ideas of clean than I have. Lots of superlatives come to mind when I think of NYC. Sanitation is on the complaint list. Clean is a place I would walk barefoot, or would sit on the sidewalk. No cesspools along the curb, no fermenting garbage odors, no sandstorm of grit in the air... no rat sightings(!)

What do you all consider dirty?

In the end it comes down to people. It's unreal to me how much people litter in NYC. I hate it and wish people would stop.....we need harsher penalties. If a cop sees someone littering, give them a ticket on the spot. It'll catch on pretty damn quick.

It's NY's biggest problem. Even my quiet side street in Bay Ridge is dirty. I used to clean up before I left for school, then I would have to do it again when I got home, and do it again before bed. I shouldn't have to.

You should praise your sanitation dept. When I was in NY in feb there were loads of cleaners walking about.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan
    You all have very different ideas of clean than I have. Lots of superlatives come to mind when I think of NYC. Sanitation is on the complaint list. Clean is a place I would walk barefoot, or would sit on the sidewalk. No cesspools along the curb, no fermenting garbage odors, no sandstorm of grit in the air... no rat sightings(!)

What do you all consider dirty?

Dirty is just what you described. You described NYC...dirty.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast