Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Is NYC Dirty?

DUMP SLUMP
    VACANT LOTS DISAPPEARING

By RICH CALDER

August 14, 2006 -- The city's residential building boom is so unprecedented that it's helped shine up the Big Apple.

City trash inspectors last year issued 167 illegal dumping summonses - a 17 percent drop from the 202 handed out in 2004 and a 44 percent decline over the 301 issued in 2003, a Post investigation found.

Robert D'Angelo, who heads the Sanitation Department's illegal-dumping task force, said the rise in housing construction was leading to a massive decline in vacant lots - easy targets for illegal dumpers.

"We've definitely seen many vacant lots in places where we'd catch people dumping become new housing or get boarded up because a developer is planning to build there," he said.

The city last year issued building permits for 31,599 new residential units, up 49 percent from 2003 and 515 percent from 1995, census data shows.

Despite seeing the improvement, Brooklyn still gets trashed like no other borough.

An analysis of Sanitation databases found that 80 - or 47.6 percent - of the 167 individuals or businesses issued illegal dumping summonses last year were nabbed in Brooklyn.

Queens was second, with 47 incidents, and The Bronx third, with 28.

Brooklyn's East Flatbush led all neighborhoods with 23 cases, including 19 that occurred along a two-block stretch of junkyards and garbage-strewn lots near Ralph Avenue.

In comparison, there were just 11 cases in Staten Island and one in Manhattan.

Copyright 2006 NYP Holdings, Inc.

Wow, this is an old topic...but I'll bite!

It's not so much the dirt, garbage and litter that I notice. It's filthy with ads more than litter, I think. It's the nasty STENCH that gets to me. In the subways, the streets, etc. Maybe it's me, I've recently moved back to the city after being in the country for 2 years. But the odor has been particularly strong for me lately. In the dirty wet moldy socks kinda way.

Quote Originally Posted by nochealerts View Post
    Wow, this is an old topic...but I'll bite!

It's not so much the dirt, garbage and litter that I notice. It's filthy with ads more than litter, I think. It's the nasty STENCH that gets to me. In the subways, the streets, etc. Maybe it's me, I've recently moved back to the city after being in the country for 2 years. But the odor has been particularly strong for me lately. In the dirty wet moldy socks kinda way.
    The stench of New York streets is famous....in a bad way.
    I've never clearly understood just why the streets smell so bad compared to other cities with the same density levels.
    There is a massive issue here though of where to put the trash which without doubt creates "some" of the odor. New York is the only city in the world I've seen where mounds of trash bags litter the curbs on trash pick up days.
    I don't think I'll ever get used to the filth of the city!

Which other cities are you talking about, JeffreyNY? A Tokyo rose by any other name smells just about as sweet.

Having lived in New York four years it now seems that once-fresh Boston smells to me, and New York doesn't. Can one's nose be trained that way?

Um, has anyone been to Jamaica down by Parsons? That crap is dirty as hell, In the morning alot of the trash cans are flipped over and the garbage is all over the streets, Absolutely filthy

Unhappy NYC stinks literally!

Quote Originally Posted by czsz View Post
    Having lived in New York four years it now seems that once-fresh Boston smells to me, and New York doesn't. Can one's nose be trained that way?
    New York stinks literally. I remember passing through all sorts of odors most of them were indescribable and yet I observe ppl not complaining or doing anything. So I guess one's nose can be trained that way.

Default Garbage smells (pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by czsz View Post
    I think the intensity of a city's smell just depends on whether or not it's garbage day

It was bad gong through Midtown today (near that "We eat like pigs BBQ YEEEHAH!" place).

There was the smell of aged organic refuse for a good 2-3 blocks. Really bad (I had to keep myself from wincing while walking).

NY is BAD.

And odd that you should mention Tokyo. Tokyo is IMMACULATE! People don't even toss their cigarette butts!

New York, in many of its areas, is horrible. There has to be a better way to collect and remove rubbish from the city than what we have now.

Want to see the worst? Go to Chinatown. Hang out near the Fish Markets. Look at the stacks of crates and refuse on the curb of the narrow street with people parked all up and down it with slime on the sidewalk, curb and flowing into the milky oil-topped off white streams and puddles that line the roadway.

August near the corner by the entrance to the S (fish market) has to be one of the stinkiest places you can be in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    Which other cities are you talking about, JeffreyNY? A Tokyo rose by any other name smells just about as sweet.
    Tokyo..? I've spent a good deal of time there and find the city spotless and certainly not smelly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    It was bad gong through Midtown today (near that "We eat like pigs BBQ YEEEHAH!" place).

There was the smell of aged organic refuse for a good 2-3 blocks. Really bad (I had to keep myself from wincing while walking).

NY is BAD.

And odd that you should mention Tokyo. Tokyo is IMMACULATE! People don't even toss their cigarette butts!

New York, in many of its areas, is horrible. There has to be a better way to collect and remove rubbish from the city than what we have now.

Want to see the worst? Go to Chinatown. Hang out near the Fish Markets. Look at the stacks of crates and refuse on the curb of the narrow street with people parked all up and down it with slime on the sidewalk, curb and flowing into the milky oil-topped off white streams and puddles that line the roadway.

August near the corner by the entrance to the S (fish market) has to be one of the stinkiest places you can be in the city.
    Your description is brilliant. While Chinatown is undoubtedly one of the worst smelling areas of the city you need not venture down there to experience much of the filth and stench you describe. I was walking around 12th and 1st last night and I can assure you that the slime, litter and smells were worse than any other western city I've encountered. In a civilized society in the world's wealthiest country that kind of filth is inexcusable.

Maybe I walked in different areas of Tokyo than you're mentioning, but the city was certainly not scentless. And Ninja, I know we've gone over this before, but Tokyo has public ashtrays. New York does not.

I saw plenty of people piling up garbage on the streets in Tokyo- made far worse by the lack of public garbage cans. I certainly wouldn't say that it's a "dirtier" city than New York, but it's not the mystic utopia so frequently described on these boards, either.

Cant say ive ever noticed a bad smell, not a constant underlying stench anyway, and i come from a reasonably clean aired place. Of course everywhere smells if you standing next to a pile of garbage and its 100 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    Maybe I walked in different areas of Tokyo than you're mentioning, but the city was certainly not scentless. And Ninja, I know we've gone over this before, but Tokyo has public ashtrays. New York does not.
    Your point being? I have seen people in Tokyo extinguishing and POCKETING their butts, while in NYC I see someone flik their but while standing next to an ashtray.

I saw plenty of people piling up garbage on the streets in Tokyo- made far worse by the lack of public garbage cans. I certainly wouldn't say that it's a "dirtier" city than New York, but it's not the mystic utopia so frequently described on these boards, either.
    You want me to show you pictures?

You want to see the workers whose job it is to scrub the drainage channels in the subway?

Come on Schade. If yuo look hard enough I am sure you can find rubbish, but you do not have to look in NYC.

It is not as bad as some other areas, but with the qualifier of being one of the biggest and most successful cities in the world, it has a hell of a lot of refuse and people that just do not give enough of a damn to walk that extra 5 feet to throw it away.

My point is that I'm tired of seeing people blather on about some idealized stereotype of Tokyo whenever this subject comes up.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast