Thread: Borough Maps

Default Borough Maps

I currently have several maps of NYC, all of which are very good in their way, especially Hagstrom's New York City 5 Borough Atlas (shame about the spiral binding chopping the South Bronx in half!). *I was wondering, though, if anyone knows if there might be a series of separate maps of the 5 boroughs with similar or more detail to Hagstrom (e.g. neighbourhood boundaries etc.). *I've tried searching the 'net with no luck. *Thanks in advance for any help.

(Edited by Merry at 5:02 pm on Nov. 20, 2002)

Default Borough Maps

Are you looking for anything specific, i.e. roads, buildings, terrain, stores......? Hagstrom is a decent road map, but though it is detailed I find that Hagstrom is sometimes inaccurate.

TopoZone.com has the US Geological Survey maps. It takes you anywhere in the US and you can zoom in close:
    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18...83712&s=25

Then there's the basic internet maps:
    http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?BFC...amp;Country=us

Transit maps:
    http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/

Last edited by Kris; October 4th, 2009 at 12:05 PM.

Default Borough Maps

Thanks for the link, Chris. *There's some facinating information there regarding population, ethnic and economic composition and population trends.

Default Borough Maps

Yes, excellent maps!

Default Borough Maps

The best map of Manhattan that I've even seen is one that was part of an insert in the September 1990 issue of National Geographic. *The map is entitled "Special Places of the World: *New York City." *On one side there are several small maps of the population density, median household income, and ethnicity/ancestry of NYC, as well as a larger map of Broadway's route from lower Manhattan into Westchester County. *On the other side is the map of Manhattan, showing the entire island, including Marble Hill. *The map is very detailed: *hundreds of sites, transportation lines circa 1990, names of districts, etc. *I checked National Geographic's website but this map isn't listed in the store. *If you can get a copy of this map, I'd recommend it. *It's a very cool map.

(Edited by Giovanni at 6:41 pm on Nov. 24, 2002)

Default Borough Maps

Thanks everyone. *Excellent site, Chris (yes, you have done it again). *I guess I'm looking for a combination of Hagstrom (all of NYC), the New York Map Guide by Michael Middleditch (block-by-block details of buildings etc. - why the hell they didn't add another few maps to include all of Manhattan, I don't know), Manhattan Block by Block by John Tauranac (same as before but bigger) and, as I said before, exact neighbourhood boundaries (although I understand interpretation of these can vary)...maybe a huge map of the 5 boroughs with all of the above that I can put on the floor (or on the wall) and spend many happy hours exploring (I love maps because they can tell you so much). *The Identity Map Co. do an excellent one but it's only lower Manhattan and Midtown. *Also the Manhattan Map Company's axonometric representation of Midtown buildings. *I know, I want everything...

Default Borough Maps

You should probably get the AIA Guide to NYC (Random House), the famous architectural guide. It has decent maps of the five boroughs with building locations. But go do your pilgrimage already!

Default Borough Maps

I've got it. *It's an excellent resource and a true labour of love, but not as comprehensive as it could be - there are some very conspicuous omissions. *I was very pleasantly surprised *that they did the new edition in 2000 because I was reliably informed that Norval White was no longer interested in it after Elliot Willensky died.

It's a map (or maps) with everything on it that I'm after, but not necessarily including buildings because there are other sources, as you've identified, covering that information. *Here's another:

http://www.mrofficespace.com/homepg/homepg.shtml

They also do printed versions:

http://www.officebuildingsmagazine.com/

Very expensive (especially for those of us whose "dollar" is worth about half that!) but IMHO wonderful and well worth it.

Quote: from Kris on 2:12 am on Nov. 25, 2002
    But go do your pilgrimage already!
    ...yeah, that's what my friends are always saying!
    Last edited by Kris; October 4th, 2009 at 12:03 PM.