Thread: Vanderbilt Ave.: A New Park?

Default Vanderbilt Ave.: A New Park?

I have always wanted to see Vanderbilt Avenue closed and made into a park. It is not a necessary roadway. Also, the "road" that wraps around Grand Central (below) should be closed and made into a park. Stairs could be added to let people access it from Vanderbilt, and a series of waterfalls could be added. This, together with closing 42nd Street to traffic, would be magnificent.

What do you think?

This could be Midtown's High-Line.

Last edited by londonlawyer; February 14th, 2010 at 08:23 AM.

Always appreciated Vanderbilt Avenues low-key urbanity. Not sure I'd much want to trade it for a park.

The elevated drive is retro-futurism of the most thrilling kind. Driving folks from abroad around Manhattan, I always made sure to casually include it in the itinerary; and it never failed to elicit wows.

Down to ‘DE feet’

GCT street plaza

By CHUCK BENNETT and HELEN FREUND

Another Manhattan street for drivers could soon bite the dust.

The city is looking at turning tiny Vanderbilt Avenue next to Grand Central Terminal into the next car-free “pedestrian plaza,” under a plan being touted by the Department of City Planning and the Department of Transportation.

The five-block stretch, which runs from 42nd to 47th streets, would be transformed under a broader plan to “upzone” office space on Manhattan’s East Side, two sources told The Post.

Although it could be at least a decade before property owners would construct new towers in the blocks surrounding Grand Central, the pedestrian plaza could happen much sooner.

“The city is examining ways to modernize East Midtown so that over time, it will maintain its stature as a premier business district and job generator for New York City,” a city planning official said.

Planning Commissioner Amanda Burden is a strong backer of making the street pedestrian-only, Crain’s New York Business reported.

Everyday users of Vanderbilt Avenue were less enthusiastic.

“This is a terrible idea. It already takes so long to drive through this area, and since we can’t make a right on Madison, this street is the only way we can get around the traffic of Grand Central,” said cabby Muhammad Sarif, 42.

Food-cart vendors were also wary — despite the prospect of more foot traffic.

“This could be really bad for us,” said Ehaib Ahmed, 24, who said his family has operated a cart on the corner of Vanderbilt Avenue and 42nd Street for 38 years.

Dozens of NYPD and MTA parking spaces would also likely be lost, sending those vehviles into the already-congested streets and possibly eliminating nearby commercial parking spaces.

MTA spokesman Salvatore Arena said his agency is “aware’’ of the proposal.

He added, “Vanderbilt Avenue is critical to emergency responses at Grand Central Terminal, and any closure of Vanderbilt must not interfere with fire, police and emergency medical access or egress to the terminal.”

Mayor Bloomberg wants the whole project under way by the time he leaves office in 2014, and details could be released Wednesday at a Community Board 5 meeting.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...#ixzz20DYpw7Qs

Mayor Bloomberg wants the whole project under way by the time he leaves office in 2014
    The haste with which some changes are being pounded into place, all for Little Mikey's Legacy, could prove problematic in the long run.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

It's mostly paint and curbs. It could all be ripped out pretty quickly.

This is great news!

The only problem I see is that the taxis use Vanderbilt to queue. Already it's not enough space, and they double and triple park along 42nd Street. A better solution would have to be found. For a train terminal to be effective, you need a space for taxis.

Perhaps they should only close off a portion of the street, Broadway Boulevard style, and make it one way?

Maybe make the surrounding elevated roadway around GC the taxi que? It would be a sacrifice to the people, but I think it could be used effectively.

As for VB? Bilt it, and they will come.

I am stunned that the elevatedroad was never closed after 9/11. It's completely unguarded, and a terrorist could easily drive a small truck filled with plastic explosives which could level GCT and other structures. Indeed, that this road encircles such a visible potential target (I.e., GCT), I am amazed that it has not been closed.

If the road is included in the park, I'd like to see a beautiful stone staircase leading from Vanderbilt up to the road.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; July 12th, 2012 at 07:37 AM.

Irony being, they have bollards underneath to prevent cars from driving under it... (in some areas, at least)

I'm referring to the elevated area that goes along the south and east walls of GCT.

Some areas, not all:

http://goo.gl/maps/cNkm

Although that depends on the ever vigilant Postal Service....

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

ll is right on this one.