Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Liberty Enlightening the World (Statue of Liberty)

August 4, 2004

Returning to Lady Liberty, and, Yes, Carrying a Torch

By MICHAEL BRICK

Luz Pagan paid her first visit to the Statue of Liberty on Tuesday, the first time that the public had been allowed inside the statue since Sept. 11, 2001. Like Ms. Pagan, a Bronx resident for 35 years, many visitors wore festive attire.

Luz Pagan is 63, of Puerto Rican extraction and short in stature. She is a social worker in the Bronx, her given name means light, and she spends her off days extending what she calls a message "of peace-love power."

"In all parades, Irish, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Italian," she said, "all parades in the city, I'll be there to represent the Statue of Liberty."

By represent, Ms. Pagan means dress as. She arrived outside Castle Clinton in Lower Manhattan yesterday - the first day visitors were allowed inside the real Statue of Liberty since the terrorist attacks of 2001 - wearing a flowing, fibrous dark green gown and crown, and carrying a torch, flag and book.

A friend made the costume for Ms. Pagan shortly after the terror attacks. She has worn the outfit to parades, but this was her first visit to Liberty Island.

"I was waiting for this time that they opened again," she said. "I feel proud."

She bounded past the professionally costumed and the painted people posing for photographs with tourists. The green Statues of Liberty were doing appreciably better than the bronze vaqueros. The statues buzzed noisemakers at the crowds, because painting yourself green, carrying a torch and wearing a robe and crown can get you overlooked in Manhattan, no matter the terror alert level, unless you have a gimmick.

Ms. Pagan clung to the rail on the top deck of the island ferry, the Miss New Jersey. All the seats were taken. The boat rocked in the wake, buzzed by gulls and Coast Guard cutters. The air was salty. A robotic voice admonished people to check the times of their tour reservations, though there had been no mention of a tour, or reservations, at the ticket sales office.

"I'm glad I asked," said Heidi Cruz, 38, of Chicago, who was visiting the city with her son and daughter. They had arrived at the ferry ticket office in Lower Manhattan at 9 a.m. and specifically made a reservation to go inside the statue. Now, said her son Jonathan, 9, just before 2:45 p.m., "We're one of the first people in the country to go in since the terrorist attack."

The good ship, Miss New Jersey, docked on Liberty Island, where it was clearly a special day. The line to reboard the ferry stretched across to the opposite shoreline, and a grandstand was set up under a flagpole. There were velvet ropes and spotlights, police officers in golf carts and teenagers in period costumes tooting out "Yankee Doodle" and what sounded like "Popeye the Sailor Man" as best they could.

Ms. Pagan disembarked about 2:30 p.m., holding her torch high, as people yelled, "Hey, Lady Liberty."

"Whooo," Ms. Pagan said, running over to them.

She set her satchel, decorated with the Puerto Rican flag, atop a garbage can and fished out her $8 discount ferry ticket. Then, holding her torch and flag aloft, Ms. Pagan walked past the rows of Linden trees and the specially constructed gift shop tent toward the statue's entrance.

"Do you have a tour ticket?" asked Ranger Daniel T. Brown.

"They didn't ask me," Ms. Pagan said, then trailed off. She turned and asked some tourists if they had extra tickets. They did not.

"Ay, ya, yi, yi, yi," she said. She stomped her foot. "Anyway," she said.

She cradled her flag and torch in one hand, turned and walked back toward the ferry, her white sandals clacking on the pavement under her dark green gown.

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company

August 4, 2004

EDITORIAL NOTEBOOK

The Statue of Security

By CAROLYN CURIEL

For anyone who has ever trekked up the spiral staircase of the Statue of Liberty and peered through the crown's narrow windows, the statue's reopening this week, for the first time since the 9/11 attacks, is bittersweet. Its surrounding grounds and facilities have been spruced up, and members of the National Park Service gamely claim that the statue, an international icon, is better than ever. But there's no way to ignore the loss of what was the main attraction: tourists can no longer knock themselves out by climbing those storied 354 steps.

It's perhaps an unavoidable result of the vigilance against terrorism, but a sad one nonetheless. The new tour stops short of the hem of Liberty's robes, at the top of her thick concrete pedestal, in a room that holds only 30 people at a time, or about 3,000 people a day who are quickly shuffled in and out. While a guide gives a short talk and shows a video, tourists are invited to look up at the ceiling, where a few glass panels give a glimpse of a few feet of the interior. Tourists can also step into the open air on a deck that lines the pedestal. That's as good as it gets. And that's only after each visitor is screened twice, by X-ray and metal detectors before boarding a ferry to the monument, and then on the premises by new scanners looking for explosives and narcotics.

Throughout the statue's base are monitors showing the routes to the nearest exits in case of an emergency, while across the bottom scrolls a constant message: "If you see something, say something." Oddly enough, this antiterrorism mantra, which appears in bilingual postings in city subways and buses, is only in English at this symbol of America's polyglot immigration.

Larry Parkinson, a deputy assistant secretary for law enforcement and security at the Interior Department, says greater access to the statue itself has not been ruled out. But it isn't in the works right now, and the motives for caution seem to stretch beyond security. There is concern about wear and tear on the statue. The people who used to climb the stairs were apparently not unlike those unconscionable climbers of Everest who left behind proof of their presence in the form of garbage - in this case, mostly chewing gum and food refuse.

But it's hard to avoid the impression that the officials who spent millions in private and public funds to restore and fortify the statue don't want anyone to mess it up. With the nonprofit charity that has been in charge of soliciting donations under fire for paying its executives too much money, this seems like a time when everyone should be trying to make things as accessible as possible.

Obviously, security will have to come first, but visitors to the Statue of Liberty, the symbol of American freedom, shouldn't be constrained forever.

August 5, 2004

Miss Liberty, in a New World (6 Letters)

To the Editor:

Re "The Statue of Security," by Carolyn Curiel (Editorial Notebook, Aug. 4):

Although I, too, mourn the Statue of Liberty's limited access, now that it has reopened for the first time since 9/11, I disagree that the climb to the crown is the main attraction.

I have had the good fortune to be in my boat in the early morning. My heart flutters and I sprout goose bumps as the Statue of Liberty comes into view. There before me is the symbol of America. It is still dim enough to see the lighted torch, and that, too, stirs my soul.

I imagine that I am a new immigrant to these United States, and even though I am anticipating the sight, seeing the statue brings on tears of relief and joy. I am approaching the promised land of freedom and good fortune. I imagine that some of the pain, worry and horror that I have fled peels away as I stare transfixed at the most beautiful lady in the world. Suddenly, I am hopeful and filled with new courage. I am home, at last.

Waddell F. Robey
    Harrisburg, Pa., Aug. 4, 2004

To the Editor:

Re "Visitors Can Go Underfoot, but Not to Liberty's Crown" (news article, Aug. 3):

When I read that officials played down the experience of being able to climb the steps of the Statue of Liberty, I was appalled. It is a sad attempt to hide the deep symbolism and national embarrassment of using fear of terrorism to restrict access to Liberty.

I am not a coward, and I don't like it when my leaders are cowards. One official said, "Most of us think we went to the crown; a lot of us didn't." I remember counting every step to the top at age 8. The government's feeble attempt to convince me that it didn't happen is reminiscent of its other attempts to make me forget my numerous lost liberties.

Perhaps what our cowardly government itself fears and wants forgotten is the inscription that extols freedom, refugees and immigrants. That is the America we need to remember.

Ilir Topalli
    Bronx, Aug. 3, 2004

To the Editor:

Re "The Statue of Security'' (Editorial Notebook, Aug. 4):

Carolyn Curiel is right to describe the long-awaited reopening of the Statue of Liberty as "bittersweet.'' It has been almost three years since we could ascend to Lady Liberty's crown, and even now, visitors still can't move past the statue's base.

Limiting access to the world's greatest symbol of freedom should not be a foregone result of the war on terror.

This week, Representative Anthony Weiner and I outlined a plan to open the statue from head to toe using the Transportation Security Administration do-not-fly lists that airlines use to prescreen visitors. We give every foreign airline serving the United States access to these lists. Certainly, the National Parks Service can be trusted with them as well.

Generations have come to New York to climb to the crown of the Statue of Liberty, and I hope generations to come will have that thrill as well.

Charles E. Schumer
    U.S. Senator from New York
    Brooklyn, Aug. 4, 2004

To the Editor:

Why is the Statue of Liberty being reopened while New York City is on a high terror alert ("Returning to Lady Liberty, and, Yes, Carrying a Torch," news article, Aug. 4)? Isn't this great symbol of freedom a choice target for terrorists?

The Bush administration has said the terrorists may try to disrupt the election this fall and that the likelihood of a terrorist attack is higher during the months just before the election.

In light of this, it seems very reckless and irresponsible for the administration to permit the reopening of the Statue of Liberty at this dangerous time.

Although we may never be completely safe from terrorist attacks, it seems that at least waiting until the election is over to reopen this tourist attraction would be a more responsible decision.

Sarah Aziz
    North Haven, Conn., Aug. 4, 2004

To the Editor:

I'm not too impressed with the reopening of the "pedestal of liberty"; it's like going to a Broadway show, only to be stuck in the lobby.

On a stifling July day in 1973, I labored up the staircase to the crown behind a very pregnant South American immigrant, and as we reached the tiny crown chamber, she turned to me with the sweat dripping down her face and with the most radiant smile I have ever seen on anyone. She did it; we all did it! Wonderful!

Richard Kopperdahl
    New York, Aug. 3, 2004

To the Editor:

I am very proud that the Statue of Liberty, that powerful symbol of hope and freedom, has reopened to the public. It was a gift from the French, was it not?

Ken Wells
    Knoxville, Tenn., Aug. 3, 2004

Brooklyn Bridge, the Statue of Liberty and the US Coast Guard ship.

Banned Member

That's a "WOW!" photo.

Southeast Farm Express
    October 20, 2004

Statue of Liberty goes green with soy

By Jan Suszkiw, USDA

A biodegradable soy-based hydraulic fluid developed by U.S. Department of Agriculture scientists is now being used to operate the elevator system in the Statue of Liberty in New York City.

The work is part of ongoing research by scientists with USDA's Agricultural Research Service to develop new products from soybeans.

"Our scientists are continuing to find new uses for soybean-based products that go beyond everyday foods," said Edward B. Knipling, ARS administrator. "This is the latest example of how our scientists have found an alternative to petroleum-based lubricants."

Until recently, Lady Liberty's elevator ran on mineral oil formulations derived from petroleum. In February 2002, Jeff Marrazzo, the building and utilities foreman for the National Park Service on Liberty Island, N.Y., contacted Sevim Erhan, an ARS chemist in Peoria, Ill., about an idea for an environmentally friendly alternative.

Marrazzo had learned of Erhan and colleagues' development of printing inks and other vegetable oil-based products at the ARS National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research in Peoria. Marrazzo asked whether Erhan's team could bring that same expertise to bear in creating a hydraulic elevator fluid that would readily biodegrade in the environment, come from a renewable resource, be produced by an economical and non-polluting process, and meet industrial safety and performance standards.

Of the candidate vegetable oils, Erhan chose soy oil because of its low cost, chemical versatility and availability as a homegrown resource. At the ARS center's Food and Industrial Oil Research Unit, Erhan's team examined the chemical structure and function of mineral oil fluids and then used the information to devise their bio-based formulation using modified soy oil.

In tests, the soy-based hydraulic fluid worked as well as or better than the mineral oil products, particularly in terms of lubricity, biodegradability and reduced flammability.

Agri-Lube Inc. of Defiance, Ohio, scaled up production of the soy-based fluid, including a 1,000-gallon batch that's been used to operate Lady Liberty's elevator since Nov. 14, 2002. Agri-Lube is negotiating with ARS for licensing rights to commercially produce the soy-based fluid.

ARS is the USDA's chief in-house scientific research agency.

© 2004, PRIMEDIA Business Magazines & Media Inc.

September 9, 2005:

I'm hoping someone got a photo of the moon setting on 9.11.05. From Battery Park at about 11 PM it looked like a huge slice of a blood orange -- and it just about kissed Liberty's torch as it slid over the horizon.

If anyone has a photo please post.

New York Times
    November 23, 2005

Inquiry Finds Flaws, but No Fault, in Reopening of Statue of Liberty

By MIKE McINTIRE

In a postscript to the controversy surrounding the partial reopening of the Statue of Liberty, an internal government report has concluded that the National Park Service did nothing wrong by asking a charity to handle the long-delayed project but that it inappropriately favored the nonprofit group.

The inquiry by the Interior Department's inspector general - completed a year ago and not made public until now - found that the agency's decision to hand the reins to the charity, rather than request federal money and do the work itself, was in keeping with the Park Service's history of seeking help from "private partners" to manage the nation's parks.

The charity, the Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation, raised millions of dollars for the project, which was completed in August 2004 and primarily involved adding two wooden staircases for visitors to exit the statue's base in emergencies. People are no longer allowed inside the statue itself.

Although the inquiry into the Park Service's management of the statue found no legal wrongdoing, the report portrays a number of shortcomings. It depicts an agency gripped with indecision over how, or even whether, to reopen the monument after it was closed following the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. Officials ordered studies, held meetings and debated how to pay for the reopening for years, as public frustration mounted and other national landmarks reopened their doors.

What is more, the report said senior federal officials had expressed concern that the foundation's campaign to raise money for the reopening might have misled donors into thinking that access to the statue's crown would be restored. And it described an unusually close relationship between the foundation and the agency, one in which Park Service staff members helped "eliminate any fund-raising competition" from other nonprofits interested in assisting in projects at the monument.

"While this is not a violation of statute or regulation," the report said, "it appears to be contrary to the department's usual practice of embracing all willing partners."

A spokesman for the Park Service, David Barna, said the agency had not reviewed the report and would have no comment.

The inquiry began in early 2004 after a whistle-blower asserted that the monument was being mismanaged. Not long after that, some members of Congress complained that the Park Service should have moved more quickly and should not allowed the foundation to turn the project into a fund-raising vehicle, and several newspapers, including The New York Times, published articles raising questions about management of the project.

The report was completed in December 2004. Representative Anthony D. Weiner, a Democrat from Queens, recently sought and obtained a copy of the 16-page document, which was heavily redacted by the inspector general's office to obscure the names of people interviewed and some details of how money was spent on security improvements. Mr. Weiner provided a copy of it to The Times.

In an interview yesterday, Mr. Weiner said he was dissatisfied with the quality of the investigation, adding that the details in the report did not seem to support the conclusion that no mismanagement had occurred. He said the report, as written, appeared to be "a little bit too concerned with protecting the brass at the Department of the Interior, rather than getting to the bottom of what many people saw as a scandal."

"It leaves so many issues unresolved," Mr. Weiner said. "Why, for example, did it take the Park Service such an extraordinarily long amount of time to do what is arguably the easiest security option they had available to them?"

The inspector general's office did not respond to a request for comment yesterday.

The report showed that a basic plan for safety improvements allowing visitors back into the statue was finished as early as August 2002. But although Park Service employees drafted a $2.5 million federal budget request to carry out the plan in February 2003, the proposal was never sent to Congress because senior agency officials chose to ask the foundation for the money instead.

Seven months later, the foundation announced a fund-raising campaign, whose goal eventually grew to $7 million. The report quoted an unidentified federal official saying that Interior Secretary Gale A. Norton "was surprised by the details and the methods of the fund-raising drive" and worried that "the foundation's fund-raising efforts were making a promise that N.P.S. could not keep." In addition, she "was concerned that the American public would get the wrong impression that the foundation had been solely responsible for reopening the Statue of Liberty," a federal official told investigators.

Yesterday, a spokeswoman for the foundation, Peg Zitko, said it never promised that the statue would be reopened all the way to the crown and that Ms. Norton "never expressed that concern to anyone at the foundation."

The inspector general's report was at least the third to examine aspects of the effort to reopen the statue. Last year, the Senate Finance Committee, which oversees charities' compliance with tax laws, harshly criticized the foundation, saying it was being mismanaged and questioning whether its fund-raising campaign had slowed the pace of the reopening project - something the foundation strenuously denied.

The foundation commissioned its own report by an outside law firm, which concluded that the foundation generally did a good job and had not mismanaged its finances. The report concluded, however, that the salary of the foundation's top executive was excessive and that the organization needed to improve its overall management structure.

Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

NPR
    December 22, 2005

PEOPLE & PLACES

Fabulous Views and a Quick Commute to Manhattan

A Childhood Spent in the Shadow of the Statue of Liberty

by Paul Heltzel

Mike Moffitt in 1978 with his father and mother on Liberty Island.

Moffitt today on the ferry ride across New York Harbor.

New York City can be an exciting place for a kid -- especially one living in the middle of New York Harbor. For 10 years, a chest-high hedge was the only thing separating Mike Moffitt and his family -- mom, dad, brother and sister -- from thousands of tourists and a 20-story statue.

In 1977, Moffit's father, a park ranger, took over the head post on Liberty Island National Park and moved the family. For 10 years, they had a postcard view of lower Manhattan.

When Moffitt told people where he lived, they often didn't believe him or peppered him with questions. So he came up with a plan. He'd obfuscate.

"People would ask 'What part of the city are you from?' I'd say, 'Staten Island.' I got so tired of explaining Liberty Island. And 99 percent of the people would not ask one more question..."

He and his brother and sister did normal kid things -- riding bikes and beachcombing -- but there were a few unusual side benefits.

"Occasionally my dad would take us into the torch," Moffitt says. "I don't know if he was breaking some rules... it's locked to the public. It's pretty scary. The arm is always moving. And you're on a fairly thin sheet of copper."

The Moffitts relocated during a relatively turbulent time in world politics. The Iran hostage crisis was in the headlines shortly after arriving. And occasionally, someone would work their way into the statue and take it over.

"It would usually be someone... chained to the torch. And it would be a little bit of excitement. We'd wonder, 'Do they have weapons?' One time someone planted a bomb in the museum, which was in the base and it did a lot of damage. It was a reminder that you're living in a target."

Despite the occasional security breach, Moffitt says his childhood was well spent. But after 10 years there, he's not particularly nostalgic for New York Harbor.

"I have a lot of memories from here," he says on his first trip back to the statue in six years. "But I'm not too homesick for Liberty Island. I got my fill."

Skateboarding by his house in the late '70s.

Copyright 2005 NPR

LIGHTING LIBERTY IS A BREEZE

LADY LIBERTY
    She's got a lot of fans.

By ANDY SOLTIS
    March 10, 2006

Lady Liberty's torch will soon be lit by windmill power.

The federal government says it will get all the electricity needed for the Statue of Liberty from wind turbines.

The General Services Administration said the 27 million kilowatt hours needed to run the statue, and 23 other GSA properties in the region each year, will be bought from windmill farms upstate and in four other states.

Wind power is generated by giant turbines, often more than twice the 150-foot height of the Statue of Liberty.

The wind-powered properties covered by the three-year contract will also include the Ellis Island Immigration Museum.

Two federal buildings in upstate New York, in Utica and Binghamton, have been fully powered by wind since 2002 as part of a program to reduce the government's dependence on fossil fuels.

Copyright 2006 NYP Holdings, Inc.

Liberty's mean sister (still in France) ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amede_Liberty Neg_03.JPG 
Views:	659 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	1601  

^ it seems like her face was cover... maybe a muslim thing in France?

It as ALL the rage in Paris ...

The Obscure and Uncertain Semiotics of Fashion

Pierre Verdy/Agence France-Presse—Getty Images, left and middle; Michel Euler/Associated Press
    HIDDEN MEANING At the Paris fashion shows, models appeared with their faces hidden

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/05/we...=1&oref=slogin

^ Really scary article.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast