Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Hook, Brooklyn

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

And definitely keep the big box stores OUT! Them and their parking lots. Brooklyn isn't suburbia.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    I'd like to see this area remain a manufacturing zone, with industrial development encouraged - if for no other reason than it is not being done anywhere else.
    I'm on the other extreme. I think the city has waaaay too much land zoned industrial. I used to live in an industrial zone, which was largely vacant except for loft dwellers and a few scrap metal/auto parts places.

The city has far too much empty industrial space and too little residential space. I think they should keep areas like Sunset Park, East NY, Maspeth industrial and they should rezone Red Hook, Gowanus and East Williamsburg to allow residential.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    And definitely keep the big box stores OUT! Them and their parking lots. Brooklyn isn't suburbia.
    No, bring the big boxes in. It's more sustainable to have big boxes in Brooklyn (where people will walk and take public transportation to the store) than to build way out in the burbs, where everyone drives.

I don't own a car, yet I patronize Target, Loews and Marshalls, all in Brooklyn and all convenient to public transportation. Sure seems more sensible than wasting fossil fuels on a trip out to Jersey.

There is no real convenient line to Red Hook, if I remember from our real estate visits a year or so ago.....

Big box has problems with parking, as we have had to deal with with a HD going up in Queens (and yes, there are many more coming!).

Of all the larger markets that are lacking in the city, I think the one that is needed the most is a good sized supermarket/grocery store. Even the "Ultra-mega-super-giganto" ones that are there are nothing compared to the suburban bigguns.

maybe Wal-Mart will have some buisness sense and open up a THIRD store under it that deals with only produce/groceries and push it under a different name.

Political opposition is usually MUCH weaker to a subsidiary than to the main company. People find it harder to make the connection...

(I am not advocating this, but I am surprised they have not done it like they have with Sam's.....)

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz
    The city has far too much empty industrial space and too little residential space.
    Red Hook is unique.

Any of you guys have any idea how the new ship terminal is coming along, Have been told it should be ready for The Queen Mary 2 in April.

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz
    I'm on the other extreme. I think the city has waaaay too much land zoned industrial. I used to live in an industrial zone, which was largely vacant except for loft dwellers and a few scrap metal/auto parts places.

The city has far too much empty industrial space and too little residential space. I think they should keep areas like Sunset Park, East NY, Maspeth industrial and they should rezone Red Hook, Gowanus and East Williamsburg to allow residential.
    Not sure it has to be either/or. It can be both/and. Industrial areas can be great places to live for folks with certain inclinations, and industrial zones can benefit from a full-time population.

It's a potentially heady mix. But the folks who move in have to understand that living among factories isn't like living in the suburbs. If they don't like what they find they shouldn't buy in with the intent to change things later.

The government should recognize this by applying different environmental standards to different neighborhoods; it already does some of this with zoning. If a district needs to be noisy at certain times of night, that district should have a different noise ordinance. If dockworkers in a place should knock off work at 4am, there ought to be a local place open to sell them a beer. And so forth.

And to hell with the recently-arrived NIMBYs. They don't like it, they can sell their place to someone who does.

Default animated tour of red hook

Quote Originally Posted by normaldude
    I wonder how much Red Hook will change when Ikea opens their store there in 2005.
    In addition to the site plan, there is an animated tour at this
    weblink - http://www.ikearedhook.com/plan.asp - enjoy!

Hope they don't let them paint those big old cranes that IKEA blue + yellow!

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
    Red Hook Fairway store opening soon
    BY ELIZABETH HAYS
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
    Wednesday, March 8th, 2006

A controversial supermarket, known for its 500 kinds of cheeses and for bringing down a city councilman, will soon open on the Red Hook waterfront.

Workers are scrambling to put the finishing touches on a 45,000-square-foot Fairway Market on Van Brunt St. slated to open as soon as the end of April.

The store, in a renovated Civil War-era warehouse, will be the first Fairway in Brooklyn. It also will be the biggest outpost of the mini-chain, which has stores on the upper West Side and in Harlem, and is known for gourmet food at competitive prices.

"I suspect that with this store, we'll have the three highest-volume grocery stores in New York City," said co-owner Howard Glickberg, whose grandfather opened the original Manhattan store in the 1940s. "We always make sure to have the lowest prices."

The project, which has roiled opponents in the secluded neighborhood, is more than a year behind schedule.

Glickberg blamed the delays on complications renovating the 150-year-old former coffee warehouse and on the investigation of former City Councilman Angel Rodriguez.

Rodriguez pleaded guilty in 2002 to trying to extort Red Hook developer Greg O'Connell in exchange for his support.

O'Connell, owner of the Fairway building, is a former cop who wore a wire to record Rodriguez. He has said he tried to keep the structure's historic details, such as its signature shutters and interior wood beams.

Opponents tried to sue to stop the project, arguing it was too big for the neighborhood and would clog its streets with traffic and trucks.

"We continue to be concerned about the size of the store," said Red Hook activist John McGettrick.

The new store will roast its own coffee, bake its own bagels and smoke its own fish. It also will have a cafe, a kosher section and a room dedicated to organic food. Glickberg and O'Connell hope to open a restaurant on the second floor.

The developers are renovating 45 luxury live/work apartments on the top three floors. They surround an open-air courtyard and have views of the harbor.

Shoppers outside Red Hook's only grocery store, Fine Fare, were skeptical that Fairway's prices would be lower, but they were eager to find out.

"We'll check it out," said Fay Hernandez. "[It's] just like the new restaurants that are opening here; they're very expensive."

Sounds interesting.....

Red Hook is the only truly deep water ocean port in the NY metropolitan area. The Port Authority has spent hundreds of millions of dollars blasting shipping canals to the Newark port, but it still is not deep enough for the new "super-tankers." Red Hook is. The decision to build up the Newark terminal and abandon the Red Hook terminal was a political one, not an economic one -- a decision that can still be reversed by smarter, more forward-thinking future policy-makers. To devote this space to grocery store parking lots is a tremendous waste.

Quote Originally Posted by BPC
    To devote this space to grocery store parking lots is a tremendous waste.
    Store has a parking lot? That's bad.

All parking lots in any urban setting are a waste. Worse, they're a disruption of urban fabric and continuity. They're not an integral part of the city; they represent the absence of the city.

Indeed, Ablarc.

Not to mention that it's pretty unlikely people will drive towards Manhattan to get groceries. Wouldn't it just be easier to drive away?

Depends.

A grocery store has more people coming in cars than other venues simply because people go there less often, and buy for a longer period.

I do think they should rethink the lot and maybe build a parking garage somewhere nearby and use the land for something nice like a park or something, but I will have to see the area first before I can judge something I have only heard about.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast