Lower Manhattan Transit Plan Outlined
Report: N.Y.'s Gov. Pataki Outlines $5 Billion Transit Plan for Lower Manhattan
The Associated Press
NEW YORK Feb. 8 —
Gov. George Pataki sent a letter to federal officials outlining a $5 billion plan to upgrade public transportation in lower Manhattan, according to a published report.
The proposal calls for above-ground hubs at the World Trade Center Site and at the Fulton Street subway stations and a rebuilt terminal at South Ferry, on the tip of Manhattan, The New York Times reported in Saturday editions.
Pataki's $5.15 billion plan also says that construction should begin next year and continue through 2009.
So far, only $4.55 billion in federal money has been made available for transportation developments in Lower Manhattan. The proposal did not say how Pataki planned to finance the shortfall.
In the letter, Pataki said that $2 billion would be allocated for the transportation hub at the trade center site, $750 million would be spent on a Fulton Street Transit Center and $400 million would go for a new terminal at South Ferry. Another $1.7 billion to $2 billion would be allocated for various other assorted transportation projects.
The letter does not offer specific plans for airport access services, which Mayor Michael Bloomberg has advocated. It does not propose establishing new commuter connections that some business leaders have said were essential to reviving lower Manhattan.
Nevertheless, some officials applauded the governor's plan. Sen. Charles Schumer told the Times that Pataki "is focusing on the big proposals that are most needed to make downtown a transportation center."