Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transit Plan for Lower Manhattan

Mr. Silver said that the Metropolitan Transportation Authority had agreed to set aside $15 million for capital improvements to the park, including construction of a playground, a bicycle path and a common green area in front of Castle Clinton.
    A bike path is very important in bettery park IMO.

Whenever I get there on my bike after a long and cool ride on the hudson river bike path I have to stop because of all the storm of tourist who usually stop everywhere and I find my self getting off the bike.

NY1
    October 31, 2004

Airport Ferry Service Slated For Lower Manhattan Next Year

Ferry service from Manhattan to New York’s airports could be sailing by the end of next year.

The New York Times reports the Port Authority is expected to award contracts for operation of the ferry services as early as next month.

The ferries would whisk travelers between Lower Manhattan and LaGuardia and Kennedy airports.

The Port Authority would build a $2 million dock, and the ferry companies would pay for docking rights.

Copyright © 2004 NY1 News

SeaStreak's fastest boat does 38 knots (43 mph).

Lower Manhattan to JFK by sea is about 25 miles, but at 18 miles (Marine Parkway Bridge), you enter Jamaica Bay. I doubt that the ferry will be allowed to zoom around Jamaica Bay at 38 knots.

So if this type ferry is used, it will be 25 minutes to the Marine Parkway Bridge, and the remaining 7 miles will depend on the maximum speed.
    The PA could also contract faster boats.

In other words, we won't know until they tell us.

JB STATION REBUILDS GET ON TRACK NEXT MONTH

By CLEMENTE LISI

December 29, 2004 -- Plans to rehab two transit hubs in lower Manhattan are rolling forward with construction slated to start next month on the Fulton Street Transit Center and the new South Ferry Terminal, officials said.

The cost of revamping both stations is fully funded by the federal government, which set aside $4.5 billion to improve transportation after 9/11.

"These projects are long overdue and will further add to the redevelopment of lower Manhattan," said MTA spokesman Tom Kelly.

The Fulton Street Transit Center, currently an underground maze, will be turned into a complex that connects 12 subway lines.

Platforms on the South Ferry Station, which serves the 1 and 9 lines, will be expanded to accommodate 10-car trains, rather than the current five cars.

The progress of both downtown projects comes as the state's Capital Program Review Board rejected the agency's $27.7 billion capital program.

The move signals the start of an uphill battle for the MTA in trying to get funding for the plan.

The MTA, which favors raising real-estate taxes to pay for the program, said $17 million earmarked towards rehabbing the current system takes priority over expansion projects such as the Second Avenue Subway.

Copyright 2004 NYP Holdings, Inc

At least this MTA project is moving ahead.

South Ferry Station rebuild

No bedrock near the surface here. This land was once under water.

Aug 29, 2005

View from the 2nd level outdoor space of the Staten Island ferry Terminal

Forum Veteran

Nice shot.

Can't wait until this is finally done, it's really a hindrance to pedestrain flow in the area, not to mention the bikepath.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Description: By 2007, the South Ferry subway station -- now a small, dark platform -- will become a brighter, more accessible terminal linking the 1 train with the R and W and the Staten Island Ferry's Whitehall Terminal.

Images courtesy of New York City Economic Development Corporation Renderings by Lee Dunnette

http://www.lowermanhattan.info/

And then add Calatrava ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SIF__02.JPG 
Views:	368 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	1547  

Forum Veteran

Anything with the ferry service to LaGuardia?

Last year

Yesterday

"Last year" and "yesterday": is that to demonstrate speedy progress or lack of it?

Hard to tell.

There's lots of rebar poking up which may be hard to see, so they appear to have finished blasting/digging, and are pouring concrete.

The section running across Battery Pl and up Greenwich St is decked over, so can't tell what's going on there.

Several months ago, I asked a "white-hat" how things were going, and he said that the delays over the discovery of the old foundation walls weren't too much a factor.

There are incentives to complete the project on schedule, and the due date is end 2007.

-----------------------

I get a bit sad when I come across an unanswered post by TLOZ.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast