View Poll Results: What proposal would you like to see built for Hudson Yards?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brookfield: SOM, Field Operations, Thomas Phifer, SHoP Architects and Diller Scofidio & Renfro

64 65.98%
  • Durst / Vornado / Conde Nast: FXFowle and Rafael Pelli

11 11.34%
  • Extell: Steven Holl

8 8.25%
  • Related / Goldman Sachs / NewsCorp: Kohn Pedersen Fox, Arquitectonica and Robert AM Stern

8 8.25%
  • Tishman Speyer / Morgan Stanley: Helmut Jahn

6 6.19%
Page 10 of 128 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Hudson Yards

I have a hard time reading long things and processing it. I don't get excactly why?

The development is phased over the next 3 decades, how will 80 story buildings not be built if it will contain 42 million square feet of space?

Quote Originally Posted by PHLguy
    I have a hard time reading long things and processing it. I don't get excactly why?

The development is phased over the next 3 decades, how will 80 story buildings not be built if it will contain 42 million square feet of space?
    The far west side is a very big area. One Bryant park is around 2 mil and only 54 floors. So I bet you could get 150-200 without going over 60. personally, it should be a step-down process. 80-100 should be allowed closer to Times Sq (like around 8-10Aves between 38st and 50st), 60-80 along main corridors and then 40-60 along the waterfront. Also, would it be skirting too close to expand to about 50st on the west side?

that didnt answer my question.

that didnt answer my question.
    Wasn't your question "how can you fit 42 million Sq Ft of space without building 80 floor buildings?". If not, what was your question?

no my question was, what excactly did the article, Sky no longer limit say. the title sounds like it would be good news.

no my question was, what excactly did the article, Sky no longer limit say. the title sounds like it would be good news.
    That's NOT good news. It means NIMBYs and the paranoids have worked their magic...

but is it something that is set in stone or just the NIMBY's and their crappiness? does it have an impact on this development? Because I mean most of those buildings will obviously be built in phases over the next 15 20 years, I don't think the NIMBy's should have an impact on this project.

PS. is the Orion part of the Westside development. It's a 58 storey tower on the westside?

Anyone?

There are cost problems with taller buildings. The cost ratio is no longer linear.

Also, with new seismic requirements, the lateral stability of the building also becomes paramount.

This is reflected both in the ultimate design strength of the structure AND the "human comfort".

You can build a really tall thin building, on rock, and have it stand a hurricane, but the people on the top floor would get sick if you had more than a gentle breeze.

I just think that over the next 20 years a 70-80 floor tower will go up on the far westside. Anyone think not? I mean I don't think there are specific height limits. And the rest of the world is building really tall.

I just think that over the next 20 years a 70-80 floor tower will go up on the far westside. Anyone think not? I mean I don't think there are specific height limits. And the rest of the world is building really tall.
    There are no height-limits as also most of midtown Manhattan is without a height limit. The article is about how there are now zoning limits.

Please forgive my ignorance.

So there IS a possibility of very tall towers on the westside?

Please forgive my ignorance.

So there IS a possibility of very tall towers on the westside?
    Ofcourse as that possibility also exists throughout Manhattan. Note Trump World Tower and 80 South Street.

Zoning limits is like size of the base right?

So would that create taller towers or not?

Zoning limits is like size of the base right?

So would that create taller towers or not?
    No. There's two parts to zoning, there are setback requirements and there are site requirements known as FAR which means Floor Area Ratio.

A typical site might have a far of 12. By law the building can rise 12 storeys, however there are also setback requirements meaning the building cannot rise as a 12 storey box.