View Poll Results: What proposal would you like to see built for Hudson Yards?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brookfield: SOM, Field Operations, Thomas Phifer, SHoP Architects and Diller Scofidio & Renfro

64 65.98%
  • Durst / Vornado / Conde Nast: FXFowle and Rafael Pelli

11 11.34%
  • Extell: Steven Holl

8 8.25%
  • Related / Goldman Sachs / NewsCorp: Kohn Pedersen Fox, Arquitectonica and Robert AM Stern

8 8.25%
  • Tishman Speyer / Morgan Stanley: Helmut Jahn

6 6.19%
Page 11 of 128 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Hudson Yards

So all these buildings will have to have setbacks?

I'm not good at this stuff lol.

Check this out PHL guy, it helped me. http://www.tenant.net/Other_Laws/zoning/zontoc.html

Thanks^

So there are still chances for 70-80 floor towers on the far West. That's good to know. 20 years from there there could be a stadium and lots of tall buildings.

Oh yea, what was the answer to the Orion thing? is that part of this development. 604 feet, 184m, 58 floors is already a 4th of the way up.

Quote Originally Posted by PHLguy
    Thanks^

So there are still chances for 70-80 floor towers on the far West. That's good to know. 20 years from there there could be a stadium and lots of tall buildings.

Oh yea, what was the answer to the Orion thing? is that part of this development. 604 feet, 184m, 58 floors is already a 4th of the way up.
    You'd need a pretty big site to get that tall. I'm sure you could possibly have a 10 story base and have set backs to the buildings. I bet someone close to TSQ could file for like a FAR 20-25. Personally, something like the Citigroup Center would be good, only up to 80-100 floors.

I'm sure some of the sites will be sizable.

and no you don't need that big of a site, look at Chicago's waterview tower!

I'm sure some of the sites will be sizable.

and no you don't need that big of a site, look at Chicago's waterview tower!
    I think it goes without saying Chicago, a different city, has different requirements. Also Chicago has large sites for large-developments while New York is hindered by the fact it has a grid system, dividing sites into smaller lots.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    I think it goes without saying Chicago, a different city, has different requirements. Also Chicago has large sites for large-developments while New York is hindered by the fact it has a grid system, dividing sites into smaller lots.
    Also, Chicago's (from what I can imagine) real estate is not as expensive. So developers can assemble large plots of land. Also, it's probably not as hot of a demand. Have you seen photo's of the west or south sides? They're literally ghost towns!

Quote Originally Posted by Stern

Yea, I was just making a point in general. A Building of that size could probably be in play for the sites if done right.

Quote Originally Posted by alex ballard
    Also, Chicago's (from what I can imagine) real estate is not as expensive. So developers can assemble large plots of land. Also, it's probably not as hot of a demand. Have you seen photo's of the west or south sides? They're literally ghost towns!

If that was always the case NY would never see supertalls again, Is that what your saying?

PS. Sorry for the double post.

If that was always the case NY would never see supertalls again, Is that what your saying?

PS. Sorry for the double post.
    In the short term, that will prove itself a hinderance. However, when people realize that the 1961 zoning law is killing Manhattan, I think those small plots will prove themselves very useful.

I still havent figured out if there are still 80 floor towers allowed on the sites, I assume so.

Perhaps if you would read, and stop asking repetitive questions, you would.

I am reading I just keep getting confused.

And yes I'll admit that I'm obsessed, I think that area of the city desparetly needs supertall buildings.

I still havent figured out if there are still 80 floor towers allowed on the sites, I assume so.
    There are no height limits in most of Midtown or Downtown. You could build a 200 floor building if you wanted to. Of course, very tall buildings make no economic sense.

Who cares about the number of floors in a building? Floor heights vary widely among buildings. If you like tall buildings you should care about building height not floor count. Regardless, the mania to build tall is a characteristic of second rate cities with inferiority complexes. Ugly cities like Shanghai and Taipei reach for the clouds, while fantastic cities like Paris and London have tough restrictions.

Cities like NY don't need tall buildings, though I still look forward to seeing some new towers on the West Side.

There were 80 storey buildings proposed though...all i was wondering is if something like that still has a chance, It seems this has gotten more complicated than it really is.

NY will always be an ecxellent city with a great skyline but to keep up with the ever growing world and stay in the top 2 or 3 skyline cities it should build tall and continue to do so.